Rocky Mountains in US vs. Canada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a long drive to Breckenridge from Calif planned for a family celebration in June. Not sure whether to go off the beaten path of our 'route' to include Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park since we were just in the Canadian Rockies twice in the last 3 years.

Would you? Do you think the Colorado sites in Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park rival in their beauty?

I know the Colorado Rockies are nice, but not sure they are as *dramatic* (in appearance) altho' I know they are taller. I esp. love all the glacial lakes in Canada...from Moraine to Lake Louise to Emerald Lake in Yoho.

I've seen Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park 2-3x (as well as the Tetons) but it's been many years since I was there, so I can't really remember. (and once was when I was just 6)
I do recall thinking the Tetons were incredibly beautiful! (so can't remember if Colorado's are more like our Sierras...very tall in spots but don't stand "out" as much, if you know what I mean?)

I just wonder whether we'd be better off slowing down once in Breckenridge region & seeing that area more? (since we have a lot of driving to even get there)

Someone recommends a loop drive through Aspen too which I could see doing (altho' I wish this drive could be in Autumn...that must be spectacular!)

Mesa Verde also holds interest but is *way* off the path...so pondering whether to allocate time for that instead of Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park. I was *only* at Mesa Verde when 6. (32 yrs ago!)

And then there is always a potential stop at Zion on the way home, too, which ALSO would involve more driving.

Thanks so much for your opinions!

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 02:58 AM

hi dreamer, you really do have some road time coming up.
have seen all the same ranges you have and agree tetons are the most dramatic. and canadians are larger in that they start from lower elevation.
so - if it were me (or you with past experiences) i would opt for mesa verde over rmnp. the drive from breck to cortez will allow you to look at pretty much all the mtns you can stand including the highest in the state (mt. elbert 14,312) when you pass through leadville. (plus this would put you closer to zion).
take rte 24S at copper mtn thru leadville and buena vista to salida. then take rte 50W thru gunnison to montrose. then rte 550S to durango (this part of drive thru the san juans is stunning but watch for late spring storms that could close red mtn or molias pass) you will go through ouray and silverton which are both very beautiful little towns. then rte 160W to mesa verde.
there is alot to see and do in the breck area, possibly even some late spring skiing at araphoe basin.
have a wonderful time with your family!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 05:06 AM

We have visited the Rockies from Mount Robson in Alberta Canada nearly to Mexico and I find the Canadian part,especially from Jasper to Banff,Waterton lakes the most dramatic. Next on my list would be Glacier national park in Montana. Greetings from Belgium.Paul
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Please do slow down and enjoy the trip!

I too would suggest going to Mesa Verde since you have been to the RMNP. If not in too much of a hurry on the way here is another route that would be of interest. Just west of Gunnison take CO-149 thru Creede to South Fork and US-160. This is a road less traveled, much more so than the Million Dollar Highway (US-550). Along this road you can also stop and see the approx location where Al Packer dined on the Democrats during the winter of 1874.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Jasper and Banff are my favorites over the US Rockies and the Sierra's.

The Million Dollar Highway, 550 between Durango and Montrose is a beautiful drive thru the Aspens. Mesa Verde is near by. Will you be coming from N. California or Southern?

Utahtea
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 06:45 AM

RMNP has some excellent hiking trails through meadows, forest and above tree-line areas including some great peaks like Longs. If you are just driving around and looking for dramatic, spectacular views, I would skip it.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 08:51 AM

I also think the Canadian Rockies are more dramatic than Rocky Mnt. NP. One thing I loved in Canada was the vivid green and blue lakes from the glacier flour. You don't see that in the lakes in Colorado.

I love SW Colorado, esp. Ouray, so I would recommend a visit to Mesa Verde with a route that takes you through Ouray. It's a small town, but I think well worth a quick visit. Certainly a great place to stop for a few hours to stretch your legs (and maybe soak for a while in the hot springs).
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the terrific feedback & advice!!

Since asked...we'll be coming from Northern California. I guess it would be a bit quicker from Southern.

It's wonderful you shared so many precise & detailed routes we could take.
It's much appreciated.

For health reasons, I probably still can't fly this summer, so just want to make the most out of our
'roadtrip.' Plus, some say there's something to be said for gradually acclimating to the higher altitudes too, by driving.

We probably will only have a week or week and a half to do this, so that's part of the issue. :-\ Perhaps two weeks would be needed if driving, but was hoping to still have some time for another getaway this year, too.

Thanks again!!

Interesting that Ouray comes w/so many recommendations as my brother used to live right near there, but ended up moving closer to Breckenridge before I could get out to see him.

I'll have to check on mapquest to see how far that is from Breckenridge.