Rocky Mountain National Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My college age kids and I are off to RMNP in August for our first time. We're flying from NJ, planning to camp in the park. I have heard its best to reserve a camping spot in the park and would like to know whether to go with Moraine or Glacier Basin campgrounds. One consideration is that we're not carrying cooking equipment, so we may need to get out of the park for dinner. Your advice will be appreciated.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 05:03 PM

Moraine Park CG has to be one of the most beautiful campgrounds in the world. Some of the sites have a view of Long's Peak, but even those that don't are just a two minute walk away. The sites are scattered around an wooded knoll. (Not densely wooded, just enough for shade.)

I've seen deer wandering about the campground, and lots of hummingbirds in July. There are almost always (many) Elk in Moraine Park. I've also seen coyote in MP every time I've visited Rocky.

It's not far from Estes Park, probably about a 15 minute drive to the center of town. Glacier Basin is only a bit further along Bear Lake Road, so either of these are reasonably close to EP.

Note that unlike Yellowstone and Grand Canyon, there are no showers inside the park. There are one or two places in town that offer pay showers for campers.

A couple of easy hikes start from Trailheads near Moraine Park CG - the Cub Lake and Fern Lake trails.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 06:05 PM

Glacier Basin cg struck me as crowded.
That was a few years ago, so my information may be dated.
I hope someone else soon shares more current info.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks drsawyers and bob brown. It gives me some idea of what to expect.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:01 AM

Definitely Moraine Park... we've camped there at least 6 times.... we did many dinners in town. The views are wonderful. Also, if you can get reservations this late you may want to spend a couple of nights at the YMCA of the Rockies in one of their cabins - we also love it there and the basic cabins are fairly reasonable. A few good places to eat... Penelopes has great fast type food - hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. The Dunraven has a fun atmosphere and serves Italian food. Have fun - we love RMNP!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:54 AM

One place to take showers is in the laundromat located in the strip mall in Estes Park. It's been a few years but I recall it being back in a corner of the mall.

It's handy to get some laundry done while showering!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Let me throw in one observation I think is vital. If you jump overnight from New Jersey to the high camping areas of RCMP, you probably will suffer from altitude sickness. Headaches, loss of appetite, general "rough and crabby" feelings may possibly affect you. As you set up your camping gear, you may feel like you are panting for breath, because you are.

My first trip out there did that to me. At age 32, I was young and thought I was aerobically healthy. But it took me a few days to adjust. Later I learned more about it and I tried to stay overnight around 6,000 feet before going up to 8,000 feet plus.

The year we climbed to the top of a 14,000 foot peak, I used up more than a week at altiutudes below 11,000 feet trying to get my body in tune with the thinner air.

Then we made it up. But that is a whole 'nother story.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:18 PM

Can Bob_Brown or anyone else recommend some moderate hikes for RMNP?

Thanks
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:57 PM

For almost everything you need to know about hiking in RMNP, go to

www.rocky.mountain.national-park.com/hike.htm
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 08:22 AM

Even the young and aerobically fit can get altitude sickness.

Some of our favorite RMNP hikes are Alberta Falls, Bear Lake, Nymph and Dream Lakes. Another is Bierstadt Lake going up from the Bear Lake trailhead, and I can never remember if it's Fern or Cub Lake--whichever is farther from Moraine Campground. We haven't made it as far as the falls--just to "the pool" but that's a nice one too.

Sue

Sue
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:19 AM

First, for RMNP hiking info, go here:

http://www.explore-rocky.com/hiking

Its the best site about hiking on the park and has a similar message board you can ask questions and a great group of people willing to answer.

My favorite hikes:

1) nymph, dream, emerald lakes from bear lake TH

2) alberta falls, the loch, sky pond from glacier gorge TH

3) for an obscure one that is short but higher in altitude, the crater, from near milner pass on trail ridge road. there is usually some good wildlife viewing on that trail.

Chris
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 10:37 AM

If you're going the 2nd half of Aug you could probably get in at the YMCA. Another place we like (clean, reasonable, nice location and even home baked cookies!) is Pine Tree Cabins & Crafts. (800)484-9523 (code 6346).
The showers are in the mall by the hardware store and Safeway. So is Notchtop Cafe--great for bakery or a meal. Sweet Basil, Dunraven downtown and Mama Roses are all nice for Italian. Mary's Lake Lodge is our favorite for eating out.

Sue
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:00 PM

We just returned from a two week Colorado trip. Colorado is getting unusully heavy rainfalls this year but we didn't begrudge it. We know Colorado needs all the rain it can get.

We stayed in Moraine. After driving through Glacier to check it out I agree it is more crowded--although both are compared with state park campgrounds.

I wanted to clarify where the shower/laundromat we use is because it is a bit hard to find. It's on the outskirts of town in front of the Stanley Hotel and behind the Safeway. It's located in the corner of a strip mall. The strip mall is hard to see from the road and the laundromat/shower is tucked way up in the corner.

The shower was $3.50 but you get all the time you want.