Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First-time visit to Rocky Mountain National Park...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Gus

Hello,

I am planning a 4-5 day visit to Rocky Mtn. Natl. Park either mid-summer or mid September. I'm an avid photographer and look forward to capturing some of the beautiful Colorado landscape I have heard so much about. I am looking for advice as far as lodging: A nice, basic, clean room to just sleep and shower in-I plan to be out and about most of the time. Also, any must-see or 'must-photograph' sites I should look for?

Thanks for any info--If anyone needs some info on Glacier NP or Grand Teton, please ask 'cause I have visited those parks the last two summers.

Gus in Pennsylvania

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 04:19 AM
MIKE

BEAR LAKE IS BEAUTIFUL @RMNP, SEVERAL HIKING TRAILS TO WATER FALLS ARE EXCELENT FOR PHOTOS

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Dave

Gus,

On my previous two trips to Rocky I've camped in Moraine Park, but I've made reservations for this July at the Budget Host Motel in Estes Park. I can't make a recommendation since I haven't experienced it yet, but it seems to be one of the cheapest non-camping options at $70/night for a single.

The photo-ops in Rocky are endless; here's a few I can think of:

One excellent place to take photos of Long's Peak is on Hwy 7 south of Estes Park. Drive past the Lily Lake Visitor's Center to mile marker 8 - a great place for sunrise shots.

A couple miles further south on Hwy 7 you'll see St Malo, a stone chapel which is quite interesting. This is a good place to photograph Mt Meeker.

As you drive along Bear Lake Road, watch for a pullout between the Sprague Lake and Bierstadt Lake trailheads. One of my favorite spots: there is a fantastic view of the peaks along the Divide - Hallet, Otis, et al. - from here.

The Moraine Park Museum parking Lot offers good views as well.

There are lots of views along Trail Ridge Road of course.

For wildlife, visit Moraine Park in the late afternoon. There is almost always a large herd of Elk grazing, and possibly a coyote. Sheep Lakes in Horseshoe Park are famous for attracting Bighorn Sheep, and the nearby mountainsides along US34 near the Fall River Visitor Center are often a good place to see sheep as well. For moose, I think you have to try the wetter ground on the Grand Lake side of the park.

I have a few of my latest RMNP photos at "http://pages.prodigy.net/drsawyers/RMNPphotos.html". A really great site is "www.explore-rocky.com". Jesse Speers has a great photo gallery, and lots of other info as well.

If you're looking for reference material, "Hiking Rocky Mountain National Park", by Ken and Donna Dannen, is probably one of the best Hiking Guides. You might also check out the "TrailTracks" map which can be found at Amazon.com. This is a "3-D" perspective map which, while not as detailed, provides a much better sense of the park layout than the official NPS map. Of course it's not meant to replace a contour map for serious hiking, but is very useful for identifying which peak is in what photo.

Dave

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Bob Brown

I think the advice offered above is great!! I have spent a few days in the Rockies, too. If you want a good high point from which to photograph, go up to Hallett Peak.
The Loch is beautiful, and the trail goes by way of Alberta Falls.
The views from Trail Ridge Road are spectacular. A telephoto lens will come in very handy, particularly for photographing Long's Peak. I think even a 300 lens mm would be a little short for some of the scenes, but certainly better than a 135mm.
Some of the light situations in the Rockies are as tricky as the Tetons.

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Gus

Thanks for the info!

Old May 12th, 2002, 03:49 PM
cl9

I got some of my best photos of RMNP in the Beaver lakes.
The mountains and waterfalls are awesome just don't forget the valleys

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Bill

Your question sounds like a repeat of mine this time last year! And now, I can proudly give you the same advice I asked for last year since I've been there and done it! Great photographs? Definitely Sprague Lake at sunrise and Bear Lake. Even take the short hike from Bear Lake to Nymph Lake...you will not be disappointed. In September the elk will be herding and the males bugling at dusk...don't miss this! I could go on with great sights to photograph there are so many! Be sure to do them early in the morning or late in the day for best lighting. I stayed at a place called Trails West On The River. Great location, affordable, and quiet! And the owners were very nice! YOU WILL LOVE RMNP!!