Search

Rockport ,MA as a destination?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockport ,MA as a destination?

Hi everyone.
My family and me are planning to spend Christmas Vacations in Boston and since we are going to rent a car Rockport popped uo while looking online.
Do you think this town worths a two days visit?
If so could you recommend lodging?

Thanks in advance.
Ramón
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Rockport is a "seasonal" destination, so much will be closed over the Christmas holidays.

Nearby, and year-round, destinations, just as beautiful, seaside towns include Salem and Newburyport. Also nice, and year-round, is Portsmouth, NH.

Some seaside towns are an easy ride on the commuter rail from Boston, so you wouldn't have to rent a car. See www.mbta.com
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:27 PM

Also consider Marblehead - a little more history, a little more convenient to Boston.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Rockport is beautiful at Christmas time. Bearskin Neck, the little shopping area that is somewhat touristy but many locals shop at the little unique non-chain stores. It is usually wonderfully decorated at Christmas.

Most restaurants will be open - many take their annual vacation in Jan/Feb.

However besides shopping and looking at the ocean, which can be beautiful in the winter, not sure what else you would do. I might consider a 2 day/1 night visit.

I agree that Portsmouth and Newburyport might also be options. I am not a fan of Salem - too hokey (except for Peabody Essex Museum).
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 05:57 PM

I've spent the weekend in Rockport during late November, there was plenty still open at that time.

If you rent a car you can easily drive to the neighboring towns along the water--they're lovely.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Cassandra

Yes, don't miss the art museum in Salem!

Is Rockport worth 2 days? Not the town itself, surely; but there are excursions all around Cape Ann and inland, and it's not a bad base for those. As for food, most people eat at least one meal in Essex to get renowned and fresh seafood. Too often, seaside restaurants-with-a-view don't actually serve what's caught locally.