Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Last minute Christmas in Boston - Suggestions Sought

Dec 10th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Hubby and I are taking a last minute Christmas trip to Boston. Fly in the weekend before, head home on the 28th. Were all set in Boston, but would like suggestions for a short trip for the 26th-28th. Im not a skier, but love the mountains. Weve also looked at Portsmouth or somewhere in RI. We dont need a lot to do, but some shops, restaurants in the area would be nice. Any suggestions? TIA for the help
Dec 12th, 2018, 07:48 AM

Newport RI - easy drive down Route 24 - maybe hour or a bit more from the city...look and see what holiday events the various mansions are having there. It's worth touring two of the mansions (they get repetitive after that) and it's a nice little seaport town with quaint shops.
Dec 12th, 2018, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by capecod73 View Post
Newport RI - easy drive down Route 24 - maybe hour or a bit more from the city...look and see what holiday events the various mansions are having there. It's worth touring two of the mansions (they get repetitive after that) and it's a nice little seaport town with quaint shops.
Will second the Newport recommendation, but disagree that the mansions get repetitive. I found them all quite different, either in furnishings, architectural style, interior ornament, or a combination of these. Though agreed that touring more than two or three in one day is overkill two is plenty for many folks, while three is enough for a voracious sightseer like myself.

Portsmouth NH has plenty of shops and eateries, though not many attractions will be open (the submarine USS Albacore and Strawbery Banke may be open, though not much else).

Portland ME is another good choice. Lots of restaurants and stores, and the Portland Art Museum will likely be open.