Diamond Head/Pearl Harbor/Oahu

Feb 8th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Diamond Head/Pearl Harbor/Oahu

Was originally thinking we'd take The Bus or a shuttle to Pearl Harbor and walk/cab/Bus to Diamond Head (different days), and only rent a car for the day we drive to the North Shore (we (myself, DH, DS(13) & DD(8)) are staying at Hilton Hawaiian Village, mid-July). After reading this forum and TA, am thinking we might want to rent a car also for the day we visit Pearl Harbor. We are definitely visiting the AZ Memorial and may do Mighty Mo and/or Bowfin. Would it be doable to visit Diamond Head in the afternoon after Pearl Harbor? Or would it be better to have that be the beginning of our drive to the North Shore, taking a route along the Windward coast? Or we can just keep on a separate day that is otherwise devoted to the beach. I'm thinking we're going to be really tired after Pearl Harbor as the current plan is to tackle that on our first full day after arrival from the mainland since we'll likely be up early. Thanks!
Feb 8th, 2008, 06:13 AM

krisf: If you are planning on hiking to the top of Diamond Head, I recommend doing both on separate mornings. Pearl Harbor is not very difficult (other than the waiting), but the crowds are lightest first thing in the morning. The hike to the top of Diamond Head is worth the effort, but I recommend doing it befor ethe day gets too warm.
Feb 8th, 2008, 07:06 AM

I'm not sure the length of your trip or price for car rentals, but you might want to considering having a car the entire time.

Remember to figure in the expense of getting the family from and to the airport via taxi or shuttle, and Bus or shuttle fares for other activities.

I would keep the activities you have mentioned just one per day.
Feb 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both... We are on Oahu for 5 nights then off to Kauai then Maui. We have shuttles to/from HNL airport set up already by travel agent and can't imagine wanting/having time to leave HHV on first/last days, but I'll look into car rental for the middle block of days instead of just the 1 for North Shore as had originally planned. I'm sure I will be happier to know that we can "easily" hit the road when the mood strikes
Feb 8th, 2008, 08:27 AM
dmlove

Remember you're also going to pay for parking at your hotel!

Feb 8th, 2008, 08:37 AM

krisf: dmlove brings up a good point about the hotel parking. I spend a week at HHV every April and the cost of parking has gone up every year. I don't know what the cost is now, but last April, it was $18 per day for valet and $15 per day for self-parking.
Feb 10th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Car rentals are pretty cheap on Oahu. (about $120 US/week) I would suggest renting the car for the whole time you are there. The drive from Honolulu to Haliewa (north shore) is about an hour.
If you are looking for things to do around Honolulu, I would suggest going to Hanama Bay (sp?) .It costs 5 bucks to go into the park and you have to watch a ten minute video first, but the snorkeling is amazing (equipment free). You can swim through the reefs and pet the giant turtles while they feed.
On the north shore, go to Waimea Bay Beach - I was there in August and a school of dolfins were swimming and jumping in the bay. Waimea Autobon society is across the street from the beach
and you can hike to the waterfall and swim. The tv show LOST did some filming here and you may recognize the waterfall.
Let me know if you have any specific questions about Oahu. I spent a couple of months there recently and got to know the island pretty well.
Have fun!
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:05 PM

I go to Hawaii nearly every year and have stopped renting a car for the entire trip. I just get one for the last 2-3 days and use it for Pearl Harbor and North Shore and maybe a few other side trips. I found when I rented one for the entire time, it sat parked for several of the days (at $15 per day). The bus will take you right to the base of Diamond Head and to Hanauma Bay and, really, anywhere on the island. So, I just take the bus to the airport on my final 2 or 3 days, pick up the rental car and go to Pearl Harbor that day (always have to go to Pearl Harbor as I always go with people that have never been!). Last year, we went to Pearl Harbor, picked up our tickets and spent the wait time at the flea market. Spent about an hour at the flea market and got back to Pearl Harbor in time. Although I have been to Pearl Harbor when there has been no wait at all. Then, we drive the car to the airport on our final day and drop the car back at the rental agency. BTW, I get the car at the airport because it's much cheaper to rent there than in Honolulu.

Anyone can tell you which bus to take to wherever you want to go. I would highly recommend it and it's about a dollar per person (maybe less for students). There is plenty to do in walking distance around HHV so I really don't think you need a car the entire time.

I, too, would recommend Diamond Head in the morning. Afternoon would probably be too hot. You will also be tired so you don't want to do it later in the day when you're likely to already be tired. There is nothing tiring about Pearl Harbor so don't worry about that. You could do easily do both Pearl Harbor and Might Mo the same day.
Feb 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM

We just got back from there, staying at the HHV. It was great. Rented a car for the week (convertible) and really enjoyed it. took it to Diamondhead, a lap around the island, to the Dole Plantation, and to Pearl Harbor. It was nice to have to expand our shopping and touring activities. We did the self park at the HHV to reduce time waiting for the valet. It was pretty easy to get in and out, to the car, etc. Best meal we had was at Nick's, which was a short walk.
Feb 11th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I think we will probably end up balancing a bit of all of the advice by renting a car for 2 or 3 of our days to be able to drive to Pearl Harbor and to do a North Shore drive. I will look into the cost of various pick-up points...hadn't thought of going back to the airport, but figured that renting right @HHV would be most expensive. I am sure there will be at least a day or two that we do not leave the beach and area within walking distance of the HHV (trying to leave some open "chill" time on each island as we all love to sit on the beach and swim, etc).

Does anyone have a suggestion for which route to take to the North Shore? The Waimea Audobon Society looked like a good stop. We would like to be able to take in the scenery at various places, but I know the kids will be happy to stop and settle in for a while at a couple of spots, so swimmable beach recommendations (July) or the falls rodway mentioned sound good. Also, how are the roads driving back to Honolulu in the dark (road surface but also seeing signs, etc)?
Thanks again!
Feb 11th, 2008, 07:07 AM

The fastest route to the north shore is to take HWY#1 from the city and head north. After Pearl City you will get on HWY#2 (Veteran's Memorial Hwy). When the highway ends, turn right on the Kamehameha Highway and that will take you to the North Shore(this route passes the Dole plantation a good spot to entertain the kids for an hour) - the sinage is good and it's hard to get lost. You're other option is to Go across the island from Honolulu and drive along the coast to the North Shore. This will take you an hour more, but the drive is beautiful. It is well worth the time in the car.
If you want to shop, stop into Haliewa town on the North Shore. Good restaurants there as well.
Have fun guys.