Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and then????

Old Jun 15th, 2021, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and then????

SOS! Please help me surprise my husband with a fun treat . (big birthday/ anniversary) Plane tickets involved..... Our main destination would be the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. What actually would we see if we were able to get tickets to the Saturday night , October 30 , Induction ceremony? Entertainment? Will the inductees actually perform that evening? Attire? Are there various price points for the tickets?

How many hours should we plan on spending to completely enjoy this museum? Are they open on a Sunday for tourists?

What other DON'T MISS Cleveland attractions must we see?

How far/ how long a drive is it from the Cleveland Airport to the downtown area... (perhaps .East 9th Street) ?

This is a lot to ask. I REALIZE THAT. Thanks for your insights and suggestions! I have been calling and very few places are picking up the phone. I hope someone is NICE to you!!!

We love seeing the people, eating the fun foods from the area, and might want to see a show in Playhouse Square. Will it be open and tickets readily available?

Mrs. G Suzy
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 09:20 AM

I haven't been to that ceremony, but some inductees come and some don't, of course. I wouldn't count on Tina Turner showing up, for example, I don't think any chance of that. There is always entertainment, it's a big show. Usually the inductees who DO show up to a song or two. Carole King might show up, I bet. Probably the Foo Fighters and Go-Gos. If you want to check it out, HBO usually shows it, if you get HBO, they might have the 2019 one on demand.
It's like most award shows, there is a presenter, and the inductees give acceptance speeches, plus there is entertainment. I don't think you'll be able to see the guests arriving like a public re carpet thing.

The ceremony is not at the Hall of Fame, it's at an arena, the Rocketmortgage Field House. It is huge so I"m sure there will be different ticket prices for seat levels. Usually they go from about $50 for worst seats up to $500 or so? This is a massive arena so it doesn't matter what you wear, it's not going to an elegant small crowd like the Oscars or anything. And I think they are going to limit tickets still due to COVID, so who knows about prices.

The Hall of Fame is always open on Sundays for visitors. It's probably like any museum, depends how long you like to spend in a place like that. I was there during COVID so some things were closed, I was probably there 1.5 hrs (maybe 2) but I get antsy in museums even if I like them. So if more is open then, at least a couple hours. Some people probably spend more.

I really like the Cleveland Museum of Art, it is very nice and not that far from the R&RHF. It's an easy drive from RRHF, also. At least during COVID, it was as there wasn't taht much traffic downtown, but still not bad probably. I dind't drive from airport but it's about 15 miles, so I'd guess 30-60 minutes. They have a Science Center and Aquarium right down near the hall of fame, also. The USS Cod Submarine Memorial is also docked there and you cna tour it but only on Saturdays at that time of year. USS COD HOMEPAGE

so it really depends on your interests. Maybe someone else has some must-see ideas.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 07:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm tagging on to this thread, because we were planning a trip to Cleveland to see the Hall of Fame (not the induction part). Thank you, Christina, for the wealth of information you provided! Especially the museum recommendations!

I did learn that the Hall of Fame is open daily and because I'm a member of the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles, they have reciprocal membership, so I'll get in free! No idea as to the size of the Hall of Fame, but if similar to the Grammy Museum, first timers should allow 2 hours, especially if you're into music.

We were planning on going in August, but I remembered (from many, many years ago) that weather-wise, it may not be the best time to go, especially since our plan was to drive from Cleveland to Chicago and spend a few days there and the humidity would probably kill me! So maybe early October would be better. Or if we could get tickets for the "big night", that would be great fun!
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 04:49 AM

Speaking of August in Cleveland - that's when you'll see the hungarian wax peppers start to show up for sale. I never miss a trip to the West Side Market then (even though I have to pack stuff home in a cooler for the drive back to Florida). The strudel, the pierogi, the sausages, meats, and produce....I usually wish we had a kitchen during our visit to take full advantage. it's worth a visit. It's the oldest operating indoor/outdoor market space in Cleveland. My MIL grew up in the Ohio City area, nearby. West Side Market in Cleveland
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 06:32 AM

You might try looking at the schedule for Clevaland Playhouse Square programs, and I believe the Browns play at home that weekend.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina
I haven't been to that ceremony, but some inductees come and some don't, of course. I wouldn't count on Tina Turner showing up, for example, I don't think any chance of that. There is always entertainment, it's a big show. Usually the inductees who DO show up to a song or two. Carole King might show up, I bet. Probably the Foo Fighters and Go-Gos. If you want to check it out, HBO usually shows it, if you get HBO, they might have the 2019 one on demand.
It's like most award shows, there is a presenter, and the inductees give acceptance speeches, plus there is entertainment. I don't think you'll be able to see the guests arriving like a public re carpet thing.

The ceremony is not at the Hall of Fame, it's at an arena, the Rocketmortgage Field House. It is huge so I"m sure there will be different ticket prices for seat levels. Usually they go from about $50 for worst seats up to $500 or so? This is a massive arena so it doesn't matter what you wear, it's not going to an elegant small crowd like the Oscars or anything. And I think they are going to limit tickets still due to COVID, so who knows about prices.

The Hall of Fame is always open on Sundays for visitors. It's probably like any museum, depends how long you like to spend in a place like that. I was there during COVID so some things were closed, I was probably there 1.5 hrs (maybe 2) but I get antsy in museums even if I like them. So if more is open then, at least a couple hours. Some people probably spend more.

I really like the Cleveland Museum of Art, it is very nice and not that far from the R&RHF. It's an easy drive from RRHF, also. At least during COVID, it was as there wasn't taht much traffic downtown, but still not bad probably. I dind't drive from airport but it's about 15 miles, so I'd guess 30-60 minutes. They have a Science Center and Aquarium right down near the hall of fame, also. The USS Cod Submarine Memorial is also docked there and you cna tour it but only on Saturdays at that time of year. USS COD HOMEPAGE

so it really depends on your interests. Maybe someone else has some must-see ideas.
Fantastic information! Very helpful! Thanks!

Mrs. G [email protected]
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 12:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I went to the last Induction pre-COVID (2019 -- Def Leppard was the headliner). It is A LONG NIGHT, especially in small, cramped seats! The night we went was just short of 6 hours! But very worth it. I wanted to go last year for Depeche Mode's induction but alas, covid happened. The tickets are really expensive and hard to get, so I'd be prepared to look on Stubhub and sit high up, which is what we did. I would totally go again even if there were no bands I was interested in getting inducted.

It is very well organized. While the video montage and induction speech is being given, they are setting the band's equipment up behind it, so there is absolutely no down-time all night, there's always something to watch. We were in Brooklyn for it (they alternate years at NYC and Cleveland sites) and there were large screens overhead in case you were far from the stage. The entire floor is a dinner party for inductees, their guests and industry types. Non-inductees and fans are all in the stands. You should bring binoculars if you want to watch them arrive on the floor ahead of the ceremony. That was fun seeing who was with who. The people on the floor were pretty dressed up for the most part (even inductees, who'd change before performing) but everyone sitting around us was dressed like they were just going to a concert. Not all inductees perform (Janet Jackson did not the year I went) but usually they show up if they are still alive, unless they have an ax to grind with the institution. Most do 4-6 songs. The one that closes out the show does the most (a lot gets cut from tv) and then there's the jam at the end that goes on forever when you've already been sitting there for 5+ hours.

The RRHOF is MUCH bigger than the Grammy Museum, which I have also been to. I've been to RRHOF twice and it's eaten up most of a day each time. The exhibits change out periodically, so we found exhibits on artists we hadn't seen the first time we were there. Plus all the immersive exhibits and music to listen to. There's a great video room on the history of music video that we sat through a couple times on both visits. It's just so well done, and as children of the 80s, it was a nostalgia trip. Each artist on display has so many artifacts and things to pore over, it takes ages to get through it all. And then there's the room of costumes... It's crazy how much is there.

We also went to the Cleveland Museum of Art. The Football Hall of Fame is nearby in Canton. We saw it when we were driving to the McKinley Presidential Library and First Ladies National Historic Site (also nearby).

Happy to answer more specific questions.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 02:13 PM

Hi Mrsgo

My info is a bit dated but I’d like to include my name amongst those who appreciated the excellent Cleveland Museum of Art; it may have changed since but when I went it was free. The University Circle area by the museum I found quite pleasant (I found the Case Western campus attractive and there’s a Gehry building there if you like modern architecture); Little Italy around the corner is small but charming...there was apparently a place to get a great cannoli there. Lakeside Cemetery and the James A Garfield mausoleum not far away might not sound appealing but it’s a pleasant green space with Lake Erie views and quite the ornate building!

Downtown, the Arcade felt like a mall out of the 1890s when I went 10 years ago. I found it quite singular and hope it still has that feel!