Rochester for 2 days

Search

Rochester for 2 days

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rochester for 2 days

We are family of 4 (couple with 2 teenagers), plan a 2 days visit to Rochester on March 19-21, 2010. We appreciate any recommendation what to do or where to eat or must see there? Is there any place to shop (outlet etc0? Thanks a lot.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 07:24 AM

The George EAstman house is the big thing in Rochester. They currently have an exhibit of photos taken by Jessica Lange. Here's a fun trip report
http://www.thestreet.com/video/10697...ml#70755900001

Things to see by date
http://www.visitrochester.com/events/

There are a lot of malls in the area but I don't know that there are any outlet malls. You will find a big one in Buffalo.
http://www.visitrochester.com/shopping/
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 07:56 AM

Theres a Dinosaur BBQ downtown that is quite popular and good food... My kids like the Eastview Mall, especially because of the PF Changs ... theres also a Sports Bar Champps, that is decent... sandwiches, wings etc... have fun
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Than you so much for the responses and information. Much appreciated. Is there any recommendation where to stay?
I noticed that 3 stars hotels closed to the airport are cheaper through hotwire. Should I stay at downtown better ?
Thanks ..
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Rochester is known for something called the "garbage plate" which I think has a cheeseburger as the main ingredient with lots of other ingredients on top of it. My son was in Rochester last weekend and had one at Nick Tahoe's who I think may have originated the garbage plate.

Are you going to Rochester for a reason (college visit?) or just to see the town? Rochester doesn't get many tourists in March. Fairport and Pittsford are nice towns to walk around in. The Eastview mall is nice. The only outlets that I know of are in Niagara Falls USA and in Waterloo which is east of Rochester. I can't help you with Rochester hotels. Downtown will be quiet on the weekend. The airport hotels are probably basic.

I live just down the thruway in Buffalo and the best mall in the area is the Walden Galleria. The NCAA basketball tournament will be in town that weekend and Buffalo should be hopping!
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 01:08 PM

Another thing, not sure where you're from but if you haven't had "Buffalo chicken wings" and want to try them, don't order them at a chain restaurant. They won't be the real thing. Order them from a local restaurant.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kathy ..
We live in Mississauga, not far from Toronto. The week of March 15 is March break in Canada but my girls will be on teen conference from Mon to Thurs. So, we only have Fri to Sun for family short trip, and we haven't been to Rochester yet.. that's why we are thinking to go there.

We often visit Buffalo and enjoy Buffalo chicken wing very much. We usually eat at Duff's or Honey's (factory outlet).
Thanks again.
Is there any other restaurant that you recommend for wings?
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Victor... its just down the road from Eastview Mall and right off the 490... very convenient and nice hotel...
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM

I'm sorry, I don't know the Rochester restaurants, but if you stick to a local one, you should get good wings. Tons of great restaurants that serve Buffalo wings in Buffalo, I'm sure the locals in Rochester have good wings also. Have fun.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 08:30 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
There's always room for the Jello Museum in nearby Le Roy. Fun place. http://www.jellogallery.org/
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all ..
The Jello Museum opens weekdays only in March.
I don't think we can make it on Friday. Thanks anyway.
Any idea about broadway show?
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

I am back from my trip to Rochester last weekend.
It was great; my family and I had very good time. We watched Grease at Rochester Auditorium Theatre, shopped at Eastview Mall, had dinner at Dinosaur BBQ and enjoyed our lunch at PF Chang as recommended. Thanks to all who gave us good advices.
Much appreciated.