Buffalo in late August

Old May 5th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffalo in late August

I just bought a really inexpensive trip to Buffalo, airfare and hotel under $500 from PDX. I will be there for three days in late August. I know about Niagra Falls, but what else is there to do? Where to eat?
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:13 AM

I can help with some suggestions, but first, where are you staying and what are your interests? Are you young and single, or with a family? What dates will you be in Buffalo? What kind of food do you like? There are some great restaurants in Buffalo.
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:20 AM

I can help if I have a little more information. Where are you staying, downtown or in the suburbs? What are your interests? Are you a young single person, or coming with a family? What type of food do you like? There are many great restaurants in Buffalo. What exact dates will you be in Buffalo? There are many summer festivals, concerts etc. Post again with more info.
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response.
My wife and I will be staying at the Hyatt in Buffalo. We will be there from the 22nd to the 25th of August. Steak house, Italian, Asian, just plain good food. We are in our mid 30's so we can take almost anything.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Sorry for the double post, I didn't think the first one took. Downtown I would recommend Buffalo Chop House on Franklin St. or E.B. Greens (in the Hyatt) for steak, Chef's (Seneca St.) for casual Italian or if you want to leave downtown there is Trattoria Aroma on Main St. in Williamsville or there are several on Hertel Ave. in North Buffalo including Ristorante Lombardo, North End Trattoria and La Dolce Vita. Other excellent restaurants in the city but not right downtown are Hutch's on Delaware and Left Bank on Rhode Island. A new, popular spot right on the water downtown is Shang Hai Red's which has a varied menu. Buffalo is famous for chicken wings, everyone says to go to the Anchor Bar which is in a seedy part of town but I prefer Duff's in Amherst. Also try Charlie the Butcher in Williamsville/Cheektowaga for beef on weck. Looks like you'll be in Buffalo Mon-Thurs so that means no festivals. Don't know the concert schedule yet. Elmwood Ave. is a great area for shops and restaurants with some great neighborhoods surrounding it. Chippewa St. is right downtown and is filled with bars and restaurants and that is where you'll find night life. The Buffalo Bisons are our AAA baseball team and they play downtown. There is a walking tour that I don't know much about that shows off Buffalo's great architecture. If you are going to Niagara Falls take a ride about 20 minutes further and explore Niagara on the Lake, a quaint town filled with shops, restaurants and wineries. In Niagara Falls don't miss Maid of the Mist boat tour and if you're adventurous and don't mind getting wet go on the Whirlpool Jet Boat ride. Some of the restaurants I mentioned aren't open on Mondays, so check first. East Aurora is another quaint town, about 25 minutes from downtown. Have fun in Buffalo!
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:25 PM

KathyK has given you some wonderful suggestions. I'll second the Buffalo Chop House (the best steakhouse in Western NY), Chef's (great Italian) and Hutch's (great contemporary American). A Pan-Asian option is Papaya on Delaware and Franklin. Another excellent restaurant is Harry's Harbour Place Grille with seafood and steaks.

As for what to do, do you like arts and architecture? There is the Frank Lloyd Wright Darwin Martin House on Jewitt Ave in Buffalo and FLW's Greycliff Mansion in Derby, NY on Lake Erie. I believe you can purchase a tour of both so you'll have transportation down to Derby. The Albright-Knox art gallery has a good modern art collection and a nice restaurant at which to have lunch. There is Hoyt Lake behind the gallery where you can rent a canoe for a half hour and walk around the rose garden. Another activity is a stroll around Delaware Park, a Olmstead designed park (like Central Park but much smaller). The Buffalo zoo is right next to the park as well.

If you like shopping, head to Elmwood Ave. The area around the cross street of Breckinridge Ave is the best. Have lunch at Brodo (good pizzas and soup) and walk across the street to Fowler's Chocolates for sponge candy.

The area around the Hyatt is considered the theater district, but unfortunately there won't be any shows taking place. One of my favorite restaurants is nearby though - Ya Ya's Bayou Brewhouse - great gumbo and New Orleans style food. Chippawa Ave is right by the hotel, which is a three block strip of bars.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to answer. If you are renting a car, I can give you ideas of things in the surrounding areas.