Search

Robie House?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robie House?

I want to tour the Robie House. Does anyone know if it is in a good neighborhood. I was told it wasn't. I'm not familiar with the city. We are staying at the Hotel Monaco and we have tickets to the Mercury Theatre one night. Are we better off taking a cab or a bus. I have always wanted to eat at Frontera Grill but I noticed there are two restaurants there. Should I choose Frontera Grill or Topolobampo? Thanks so much!
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 04:41 PM
cd

patti5
What city? People may not be responding because they have no idea state or city. If you get no replies you do not have to create a new post as you have done. However, you might want to repost with a city and state in your heading.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:07 PM

To CD
The Robie house is a National Historical Landmark designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It is in Oak Park and currently owned by the University of Chicago.

I imagine fodorites from Chicago could answer this for patti5
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:11 PM
cd

Sorry, I only live 2 hrs from Chicago and do go into the city often but have never heard of it.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:36 PM

Patti5
I remember a fodorite Marty did a cross country trip and posted a "Great House Museum Tour" He provided great details and a wealth of information.

Found one of his post by searching for Fallingwater. That was 1998 when we discussed this here, before you could click on someone's ID and see all posts by that person.

If you search on Fallingwater in this forum you will find tips and links for touring FLW buildings.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 06:15 PM

Robie House is located at 57th and Woodlawn, in the city of Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood, adjacent to the University of Chicago campus. The FLW foundation which runs the Home and Studio in Oak Park also runs Robie House tours, and information is available on their website.
http://www.wrightplus.org/
Look at the very bottom of the Directions page for public transportation to Robie House.

Since the tours are only offered during the day, I wouldn't be worried about visiting. It's a popular area, close to the Museum of Science and Industry. Some of the surrounding area is rundown, but the campus area is fine. Obviously a cab is easier and quicker than public transportation; it will run about $20 from downtown.

The Mercury Theatre is a pretty slow bus ride from downtown. You can go to transitchicago.com and get a trip planner. I think it would be a combo train/bus trip; you may want to take the cab for about $10-12.