Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Snowbirds looking for long-term rental info.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of spending the long cold winters in the warmth of Florida. Think we want to be on the gulf side. Do you know of message boards devoted to this subject? I think we would like to rent a manufactured or mobile home. Not sure of area that would be most economical. Where should we start our search?
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:28 PM
jtp

try vacation rentals by owner www.vrbo.com
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - will check that site. What areas should we look at. I'm thinking Gulf side around Ft. Myers. But I know that will be expensive. Is there an area that is driving distance to Naples etc. that isn't so expensive? We don't mind not being in the midst of lots of action! Also does anyone know of any chat rooms or message boards of people discussing properties they've been to, etc.? Thanks.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:37 AM

What is your budget?
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Is it do-able on $2,000/month? Thinking 2 bedrms./2 baths. Doesn't need to be directly on the water. But has to have a pool. Are you laughing at me?
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Not laughing a bit. You're reasonable with your budget and practical in your expectations. I was just thinking that you can find some affordable monthly rentals on the intercoastal if you look. The ones I know of are one bedrooms, but are right across the street from the beach. Some even can see the beach from the front door. But you still have a view of the bay. This is in the Indian Shores, Madeira Beach, Treasure Island area between Clearwater Beach and St. Pete beach.
It might be a stretch to find a two bedroom for that price though.
www.vrbo.com is a good place to look as well as www.gulfcoastrentals.com too.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Hibiscus..I will check those out..appreciate your input.
Canuck
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 02:28 PM
LN

You might also want to check the local newspapers (like Fort Myers) looking under seasonal. Or give a local realtor a call asking for their rental department. For Myers should be a bit lower than say Naples or Sanibel or Marco Island. They also have mobile home parks that are very, very nice and you could possibly pick a place from one of them.

There's an internet site called realtor.com where you can find properties for sale and you might also find properties for rent there.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 02:40 PM

We rented a 3 br./2 bath furnished house with a large pool for $1600 per month in Lehigh Acres. There are lots of very nice homes and condos for rent here IF you don't have to be near the water. We are about 30 miles from Ft. Myers beach. Quiet area, lots of snowbirds and retirees, but in a small town atmosphere. No, I do NOT have anything to rent, or gain from this. Just where we built and live full time. If you would like more information you can email me at jag_grob at hotmail.com
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 07:14 PM

You will get the best rates if you rent for six months, ideally November through April. Ask what the monthly rental is then see how low they'll go for a 6-month.