Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Road trip planning LV to OR to CA assistance please

Old Oct 10th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Hello everyone. I'm trying to plan a road trip for September 2011. I found this site and was amazed at the details you all help with. We are starting in LV
1 N, Tonopah, Lee Vining or Mono Lake
3 N in Lake Tahoe , simple hikes, paddle boat ride, and a concert, perhaps a gondola ride
1 N not sure on the way to visit a friend in Corvallis
3 N in Corvallis touring wine country
2 N in route to Hwy 1 we want to see the coast stopping in Redwood City NP
3 days in San Fransisco, Tons of stuff planned
1 N Sequoia National Park
1 N Death Valley National Park
Return to Las Vegas

We hope to take about 2 weeks but could do more if needed. We are planning to be in Corvallis over Labor Day weekend. Totally up in the air for the rest of it . I am looking for suggestions on lodging, must see sights or cities to visit. Also a few nice restaurants but not over the top with pricing . We don't want to drive more than 4-5 actual hours of time a day (not including stops etc)

Thank you for your assistance.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:45 PM

You say you want to keep driving down to 4-5 hours a day, but you have scheduled at least 6 hours behind the wheel for your first day on the road.

Were I making this trip, I would spend the first night in Death Valley at Furnace Creek Ranch.

Why are you skipping Yosemite? Have you been there before?

I think you would generate more specific questions if you spend some time figuring out the distances between places using a site such as maps.google.com

HTTY
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

I have map quested this and The first stop I was thinking about is
Tonopah 3 1/2 hour or Lee Vining is a bit longer at 5 1/2, This should be our only long day. I couldn't figure out how to do Yosemite on the way out to OR without going way out of the way. If we did Death Valley on the way to Tahoe (instead of the return to LV) it would be 8 hours to Tahoe and would we would have to add another stop some where.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 05:25 PM

If you are going to Redwood National Park, there aren't a lot of lodging choices. You can stay in Crescent City or in Klamath, which would be my recommendation. We visited that park for a week in August, camping many nights, but we did stay at a wonderful motel in Klamath called Ravenwood Inn. It was very clean and comfortable and the owners were very hospitable. We had a "suite" which had an equipped modern kitchen, but other travelers said they liked the basic motel rooms too. Restaurant choices are extremely limited in this area.

Going further south, I'd choose staying in Arcata rather than Eureka, or further south try the quaint old-fashioned town of Ferndale. Scotia has an historic inn that has comfortable rooms and a restaurant. We didn't stay there but toured around. Further south yet is Miranda Country Gardens in Miranda (hardly any town at all) or motels in Garberville.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 05:30 PM

Restaurants in Crescent City:
**The Chart Room (on the old harbor) - a locals kind of place, has incredibly fresh fish. Fish and chips (Alaskan Cod) cooked grilled or fried - $9.95, delicious.
**Good Harvest Cafe - reasonable, large menu, fresh produce, freshly made items, casual, decent.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Elnap I will so some research one these tomorrow. I love fish.I map quested and one is 6 hours but the other seems doable.

I don't think my group would be open to camping LOL but thanks for the Ravenwood tip. I think we would like someplace to be able to make some meals after eating out so much.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 08:31 PM

Wondering how you are planning to get from Sequoia NP to Death Valley...there are no convenient trans-Sierra highways nearby, you will have to head south to 178 or north to Tioga Pass (which runs through Yosemite.) Either way, a lot of driving.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

I meant Yosemite. I should have picked that up with the first poster. That is the route I want to take SF to Yosemite thru the Tioga pass then 395? I don't know why I keep confusing the 2 parks. Is it better to pay the higher price and stay in the park? or catch a hotel outside?
Thanks for catching that.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 06:15 AM

If you can swing it, stay in Yosemite Lodge at the Falls--the location is perfect.

HTTY
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 08:53 AM

Can you add a day or two to your itinerary in order to spend more time in Yosemite? One night (with travel from San Francisco that day) certainly won't be enough.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 09:25 AM

Your drive from SF to Yosemite will take about 4 1/2 hours. Then your drive to Death Valley will be long also. If you can add a day in Yosemite, or leave very late in the day and spend the night over on Hwy 395, you will enjoy the trip more. If you choose to leave Yosemite late in the day, be sure to do so while it is still light so you can enjoy the marvelous views while driving Tioga Pass.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips yes I did add a day at Yosemite way to much stuff to do once I started some more research. I am also going to stay in the park pricey but I think for the best especially with some of the night time activities in the park.

Ravenwood also looks like a winner. Wow great reviews every where on that place. It is a bit longer than I wanted to drive but we will have 3 days of rest before that.

Any more suggestions ? As I said we area bit flexible with times/ travels . I don't want to be gone more than 3 weeks and do want to spend some time in LV, where I will hook up with the rest of the group for our annual outing
Thanks again
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 10:27 PM

Are you planning to head to the coast and hy 101 from Corvallis? The Oregon coast is beautiful and easy to access. Do you mean to head to hy 1 on your way to Redwood City or hy 101? Hy 101 follows the Oregon and N. California coast and is much more direct and a much better highway that hy 1. You will see plenty of coast line in Oregon and northern CA without the need to detour over to hy 1. Be sure to keep an eye out for the elk herds along hy 101 near Prairie Creek Redwoods.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 10:17 AM

"The first stop I was thinking about is Tonopah 3 1/2 hour or Lee Vining is a bit longer at 5 1/2, This should be our only long day."

I think you are underestimating the amount of driving you will be doing on this road trip. You might want to plot out a detailed itinerary with expected stops and driving distances.

You could save a lot of monotonous driving if you start the trip in SF or Sacramento or even Portland rather than LV. You are doing this at the end of August and beginning of September which is a really hot time of year in the Southern Nevada desert. I would not even consider visiting Death Valley then.

If you do start in LV, I would skip Tonopah. It's a very depressed town and just a shadow of its former self. Instead, take 266/168 through Oasis over to Big Pine and then spend the night in Bishop. This is a higher (cooler) route and very scenic. Bishop is a nice town with many motel and restaurant options. Fill up your tank at the Vons there. It's the cheapest gas for a hundred miles or more.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Rolncathy. I mapped it both ways and it is nice to know I can save about 1 1/2 hours using 101 thru grants pass, Crescent City into Klamouth. I think this will be our first stop out of Corvallis. I was thinking of staying 2 days because of the Redwood national forest. The Ravenwood inn gets great reviews.

Otis I think we are going to start in Tahoe (3),1 stop not sure, Corvallis (3), Klamouth (2), SF(3), Yosemite (2), Reno (1) then LV. By doing that I save 600 miles and 10 hours of driving. I guess we will do Death Valley another time as many people have suggested. I read some good stuff about the bakery in Bishop. Thanks.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM

If you cut over to 101 earlier, out of Corvallis, Eugene or just south of Cottage Grove on Hy 38- our favorite - you will see a lot of BEAUTIFUL coast line that you will miss if you cut over at Grants Pass. There are elk herds just a few miles east of Reedsport on Hy 38 along the road way. Just North of Coos Bay/North Bend are dramatic sand dunes. Lots of turn outs to see the ocean views along the way, especially between Port Orford and Brookings. We are partial to the south coast of OR as we have lived here for over 30 years.

Can I ask why your allowing two nights in Klamath? (not Klamouth) Unless you have a specific reason (ie: someone to visit) there is nothing there! It is a fine over night stop, but I would stop north of there for one night at Bandon or Port Orford and then take your time along the ocean and through the Redwoods on your way to SF. Much of Hy 101 south of Klamath is 65, with some areas being marked at 55. The highway is much improved in recent years. We had family near SF for over 30 years and made that trip at least twice a year. I never get tired of it!
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 07:53 PM

I think the OP plans to see Redwood National Park, and Klamath is a good base for that. Yes, there isn't much in Klamath, but there is a very good motel there, and it's adjacent to great roads and trails through the park.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Important: Get off Hwy 101 as soon as you see Newman B. Drury Scenic Drive (Alternate Route). This will take you through Redwood National Park on the old highway. (We almost missed this)! If you stay on Hwy 101, you will bypass the most scenic section. If you like, you can check out my trip report for a few ideas. We approached from the south, so you will have to scroll down a bit to get the info you need.
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...erendipity.cfm
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 04:11 AM

Be sure and Hike Fern Canyon in the Redwoods.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Wow very informative road trip elnap thanks I copied it to my RT file. I was trying to figure out the best route into the forest LOL that problem solved. Much info to digest.

Spiro yes Fern canyon hike is on my to do list thanks