Search

Road trip help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip help

I have been working on this plan for a couple of weeks now. However I have a few questions:
Our Plan:
Drive from Atlanta to Flagstaff in three days
11 From Flagstaff to Grand canyon to Kingman (2.5hr)
12 Kingman to hoover dam (1:15) to vegas (40 min)
13 Vegas
14 Vegas
15 AM to Zion (2.5), PM Zion
16 Zion till 4pm, then to Bryce (1hr), sunset Bryce
17 Bryce AM, PM to Page (2.5)
18 Page
19 AM to Monument Valley (2hr) PM to Moab (2.5)
20,21 Moab
22 AM Moab, PM Vernal (3.5hr)
23 AM to Jackson (5hr), Pm Grand Teton
24 Grand Teton..night Jackson
25 AM to Yellowstone, PM Lake Yellowstone to Norris to West Yellowstone
26 old faithful area, night west Yellowstone
27 north loop night Gardiner or Cooke City
28 drive beartooth/ out of the park then to black hills (8hr)
29 Black Hills
30 Mt Rushmore, evening to Denver (5.5 hour)
31,1 Denver
2nd begin 2 day trip home
1. Should we stop in Vernal after Moab or drive all the way through to Jackson?
2. Should I change the plan around so that Yellowstone and Grand Teton are the last stops for weather and activity purposes? We could head to Denver from Moab and then onto the Black Hills before making the trek across to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Would a few days make enough of a difference to make this big change?
3. Is there anything I should add/drop?
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

This this will take place in May of '16. The number that begins each line is the date.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 03:19 PM

If you want to visit Dinosaur NP, stop at Vernal.

I would want to spend more time at Grand Canyon than in Vegas.

If don't you already have lodging in Yellowstone, you are late arranging it. The later in the month that you can make Yellowstone the better. Some of the roads are unlikely to be open in May so you might have very long drives.

Try to do your driving in daylight as there are often animals like elk and mule deer, who use the roads and are hard to see at night
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 04:57 PM

I guess my question would be "do you HAVE to see all this this time".
My second question is "do you HAVE to see Vegas".
My third question is "do you have to see the Black Hills".

My observation is "you are going to see ______?" Well, actually, with your itinerary, I think you will "see" everything and not see anything.

Sorry.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Then what would you suggest I do? Cut out Vegas and add time where? You are the first person to say we are trying to do to much.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 07:00 PM

Ensure you have an extremely reliable vehicle.
Suggest a Prius or Honda Goldwing motorcycle

I could not endure that pace.

Vaga
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

This is our last chance to see all of this stuff like this, so we are cramming as much in as possible. I know it will be alot, but we love to be busy! I drive a 2013 mazda so all should be fine.
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 07:22 AM

Are those supposed to be drive times?

When you use Google Maps to calculate drive times they are only doing it to the edge of the national park boundaries.

Inside the park the speed limit is 25 mph or less, often with heavy traffic.

So you will need to adjust those times if you plan to, eg, see sunset at Bryce. You won't get between Zion and Bryce in an hour.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 05:04 AM

I think you may be trying to do too much here but are going to see some wonderful sites. I would agree about skipping Vegas unless that is something you are into. I would add the extra nights to any of these places: Moab, Springdale for Zion, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons. If you are able to get lodging in the park in Yellowstone you will be able to cut down driving time each day and see more of the park. You will also be able to see it at more convenient times (before and after the tour busses are there). Similarly, I would really try to get lodging in the park at the Grand Canyon rather than in Kingman. Spending the night at a park lodge is wonderful because you can walk to the rim for sunrise and sunset which is when the canyon is at it's most beautiful (and least crowded).

I would look to drop a few things and redistribute those nights. As mentioned, I would drop Las Vegas immediately. I would also consider giving Page and Denver a pass this time around. I would prefer to spend more nights in fewer places. The Grand Canyon, Bryce, and Monument Valley are fine places for a one night stay if that's all the time you have. Zion, Moab, Yellowstone, and the Tetons, really all could use more time than you have planned though.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 06:12 AM

I definitely agree on trying to get lodging inside Grand Canyon. It is worth it to be there and get up early and walk as the sun hits the angles of the canyon. Just so beautiful. Same for the sunset, too. We actually camped two nights at Mather campground on one of our trips, and that was fun. We took minimal gear (tent, blow-up mattress, sleeping bags.) The restrooms, showers, laundrymat, store and restaurant are nearby.

When trying to get lodging in the parks, just keep trying as often as possible. Rooms do open up.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

I have lodging in Yellowstone, so I'm not sure what to do there is nothing available the day before or after so we would have to stay outside of the park. We don't want to give Denver as pass as we have family there. We don't really care for anything Vegas offers, but felt we should see it. Maybe we will cut that out and add those nights somewhere else. I am not worried about the pace, the only thing I worry about is that if we have car trouble or any problems everything will be thrown off because we are moving so much. I am at a total loss on what to do. Thanks for your input!
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 08:38 AM

If you can't add the nights to Yellowstone then I would try to add at least one of the Vegas nights to Zion. It's a fantastic place. You won't run out of things to do in Moab area either.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 08:56 AM

For extra nights in Yellowstone (or any other NP) call every day for a cancellation. People do make reservations a year in advance and cancel as they find they can't make the trip. You need to be a little flexible here since some of the roads may not be open in May if they've had a lot of snow, we were there in late June and hit a bit of snow, but the road was open. You may not have control over the pace.

I would hope that you don't have car trouble, but if you do rent a car and continue the trip while it is being repaired. Do try to do all your driving during daylight hours. There are large wild and domestic animals on the road occasionally not just elk and deer, look for the "open range" signs and the occasional steer, cow or horse meandering from the grass on one side of the road to the other.

Some folks go to Vegas to get to the parks in the area, some go to gamble, some for the glitz, some for shows, but I would not put it on the top of the can't miss list. I would give it a pass.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 09:41 AM

It's easy to get overwhelmed with lots of advice coming at you, no matter how good. Remember it is YOUR road trip, and you are free to make changes even as you travel. Part of the adventure is dealing with the unexpected, like weather, car trouble, etc. I suggest trying to avoid nonrefundable reservations so that you have some leeway if plans change.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you guys, All my reservations are refundable until the day of check in. I think I have decided to cut vegas and add the nights on. I need to do some more research before I decide where to add them. I appreciate all the advice and help! Can't wait for our trip!
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 02:36 PM

I am a bit confused. You say you have lodging in Yellowstone but also say you are sleeping in West Yellowstone which is a small town outside of the park - which by the way can be an excellent place to stay since a park entrance is only 2-3 minutes away from the center of town. If you stay in West Yellowstone, I recommend the 3 Bear Lodge which we very much enjoyed. They have a very good restaurant too.