Search

Road trip California/Oregon

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip California/Oregon

Hi
This is my first trip further North than San Francisco and would love some help please. I am leaving SF on 19 August with husband and 2 13 year olds and finally fly out of Seattle on 31 Aug. Already booked Mon 20 in Arcata and Tues at Crater Lake Lodge. We are staying at TuTuTon Thurs and Fri, Newport Sat, Portland Sun, Paradise Lodge Tues then Wed Thurs in Seattle.
So here goes.... any ideas on where to stay on Sun night between SF and Arcata, Wed night between Crater Lake and Gold Beach, Mon between Portland and Mt Rainer?

Also any ideas on what we should not miss out on would be great.

I love wildlife, dying to see the redwoods (planning on doing Jet boat trips from Gold Beach) but also want to see some of the coast. I travelled through New England many years ago and loved the feel of the small towns ln Connecticut and Vermont and would love to stay/go through places like that rather than just experience cities.

Now to make this a whole lot harder, I know I am going to have live with it, but I hate roads with sheer drops and no rails - the more I can avoid this the better (did Yosemite and was terrified but realise I am on mountains and will be part of trip - kids can't wait)!

Think we've allowed plenty of time and not much flexibility as a lot booked. Am more of a looker than trekker on mountains (lazy kids).

Thanking all in advance
Andrea (Brit who loves USA)
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 05:52 AM

I grew up in Klamath Falls - an hour away from Crater Lake - and don't really remember that many white knuckle roads in the area.

As far as where to stay between Crater Lake and Gold Beach - it's not that far - but Diamond Lake is close to Crater Lake is also beautiful and has a nice lodge. Or the quaint college town of Ashland has a nice park.

And as for going from Portland to Mt. Ranier - I would also suggest you go up to Mt. Hood (an hour from Portland) and stay at the classic Timberline Lodge - (seeing the waterfalls at the Columbia Gorge along the way) and then from there - you can head up past Mt. Adams over toward Mt. Ranier - going through the "back country" which is very beautiful.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 05:54 AM

Here is some more info on Ashland - and they also have the very well known Shakespeare festival there each summer - and it's fun to see the Theater, in addition to the great park.

http://www.ashlandchamber.com/Splash.asp
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 05:59 AM

Here it is - Lithia park - and I was trying to remember the name so I googled it. Very nice and a nice stroll from the Shakespeare center/town center. http://www.ashland.or.us/Files/lithia_park_2011.pdf
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 06:22 AM

Between San Francisco and Arcata, I would drive up Highway 1 and spend the night in Mendocino.

Between Crater Lake and Gold Beach, I would stay in Ashland and attend a performance of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. From Ashland to Gold Beach I would drive 199 and 101 so as not to miss the scenic stretch of 101 between Brookings and Gold Beach.

Between Portland and Mt Rainier, I would stay in Hood River and drive to Mt Rainier via WA-14 and I-5, taking a detour to see Mt Saint Helens.

HTTY
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 06:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you use the Merlin-Galice-Agness-Gold Beach Forest Service road you can make it from Crater Lake to Gold Beach in less than 6 hours. That road is closed by snow until April 1.
There is a place or 2 in Agness if you don't want to go all the way to Gold Beach.
The TuTuTon is where the Kim family was headed Thanksgiving weekend 2006. They didn't make it. Sad story.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone that's really helped. Had considered Mt Hood so will go ahead with that and look at Ashland now. Read about Kim family so will avoid that route definitely. Very sad.
Also looking at Mendocino, looks beautiful.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Tomsd, Timberline booked!
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 07:52 AM

Two things on this thread really please me -- one is when a poster actually takes the advice of the people he or she has asked for advice, and two is when he or she reports back about it!! Great job Tomsd and Andrea_Stratford!!
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 08:49 AM

Not a lot to add here, but suggest that you drive Crater Lake's Rim Road in the clockwise direction, which will have you on the uphill side of the road.

You also might consider Crescent City for the night between Crater Lake and TuTu'Tun. Or, will you have already explored the redwoods?
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 09:19 AM

I should have mentioned that the Historic Columbia River Highway and WA-14 from Maryhill to Washougal are two of the most scenic drives in OR and WA.

HTTY
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Hello again
Nice comment sf7307 thank you.
I have had a look at Ashland and it looks really nice but have decided to head further towards coast. Booked room at Grants Pass which will allow us to spend good part of the day at Crater Lake then travel to Gold Beach following morning. Varied comments on Grants Pass so looking at this as brief stop between destinations.
Thank you happytrailstoyou, will investigate the drives mentioned.
Islandaze we are travelling from Mendocino (booked to stay there thanks) to Arcata then to Crater Lake. Would welcome any suggestions on best place to go to experience redwoods. Want to stop and spend some time exploring.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 07:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If I were heading from Grants Pass to Gold Beach in August, I would go through Agness. The Rogue River is beautiful.
The Mail boats come up the river to Agness. The nicest place in Agness: http://www.singingspringsresort.com/
If you hold the speed to 35 mph, you will be safe on the FS road
If you travel US 199, you will go through a part of Redwood NP.
A side trip off 199 to the Oregon Caves would be worth the time.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you tom fuller will check this out now