Oregon Itinerary Help Needed

Apr 1st, 2011, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Oregon Itinerary Help Needed

My wife and I (in our 60s) are going to spend 10 days in Oregon flying in and out of Portland July 2-11. We enjoy hiking, biking, wine, beaches and also enjoy cities. I have 2 possible itineraries at the moment but am open to suggestions to changing them.

1) Portland 2 days, Mt Hood/Hood River 2 days, Williamette Valley 2 days, the coast 2 days, Crater Lake one and a half days and then driving back to Portland to leave the next day.

2) Portland 3 days, Mt Hood/Hood River 2 days, Williamette Valley one day, the coast one day, Crater Lake two days, drive back to Portland and the rest of the day there before our flight the next day.

Where are we spending too much time and where are we spending too little in your opinion?
Apr 1st, 2011, 02:45 PM

I suggest the following routing: Portland (2); Hood River Mt. Hood (1); Crater Lake via Bend (2); Bandon, Yachats, Newport, etc. (2-3), the Williamette Valley via Lincoln City (1-2), Portland (1).

Two nights at Crater Lake is a good idea because that will give you a full day to explore this beautiful and remote park.

HTTY
Apr 1st, 2011, 03:01 PM

All of your destinations are relatively close together except Crater lake. It's probably about a 5 hour drive to Crater Lake from Portland. While it is an interesting place there isn't much else to do there once you've looked at it so this might be something you want to consider crossing off your list. If you really want to go down there I would suggest rather than going up to Mt Hood/Hood River you combine the Crater Lake trip with a visit to the Cascade Lakes area west of Bend. It's very scenic and there's a lot of good hiking trails. You could drive down the Willamette Valley to Roseburg and go to Crater lake up the Umpqua Hwy (a very scenic drive) then coming back, go up hwy 97 to the Bend/Mt Bachelor area. You could still see Mt Hood by coming back over Hwy 26, but I would recommend coming back through Sisters/Metolius area and consider taking the McKenzie Scenic route back to Eugene. While Mt Hood is very scenic I think the central Cascades are even more so. If you want to visit wine country Yamhill County is probably the best choice. Domaine Drouhin, Domaine Serene and Archery Summitt (all high end pinot noir wineries) have amazing views of the Willamette Valley and are all located north of the Dundee area. If you do go to the coast my favorite area is the Southern Oregon Coast but that's too much driving for the time you have. My second favorite is around the Cape Perpetua area but it is still about a 3 hour drive from Portland. If you want something closer to Portland go to Cannon Beach and Ecola Beach State park. I would avoid Seaside or Lincoln City as they are touristy but Newport (though it is somewhat touristy) is fun to visit because of the docks. Along with Newport, Yachats is a fun little town to explore if you go to Cape Perpetua.

Have fun!
Apr 1st, 2011, 06:27 PM

Do not miss Crater Lake! It is Oregon's ONLY National Park. It is considered by many as one of the wonders of the world. Deepest Lake in The US, 7th deepest in the world, and one of the Bluest, purest and cleanest you will ever see. Eureopeans travel to Oregon to see Crater Lake! Don't miss it - you won't be sorry. That is assuming you like to see the outdoors and Mother nature.
Depending on when you land in Portland I would bop out to Hood River (less than 2 hours) directly (2 days there). Drop down thru Bend or Sisters (perhaps a day here) on 97 to Crater Lake (gives you some of the high desert on the way and is the longest drive at about 6 hours if you do it straight shot to Prospect). Stay at the Prospect Hotel in Prospect (along the Rogue River for 2 days - Crater Lake is 45 minutes) and spend the time exploring the area (tons to see), the Folks at the Prospect Hotel are great with things to see and do (hiking, birding, Rafting, Great Wine tasting in the Rogue Valley, etc). They have free maps and great directions. The Rim road around Crater Lake should be cleared of snow by then - that is a 2 hour drive if you don't stop. Leaving take 138 from Prospect along the North Umpqua river to see a dozen waterfalls, stop in Roseburg. Take 138 to the Coast and stop in several towns, see the Sea Lions, visit the cute communities, tour Light Houses. The Coast is spectacular. Up to Newport and then cut over to the Willamette Valley for more wine tasting and superb views for a couple of days. Take 26 out to Seaside, Cannon Beach and Astoria for a couple of days, then take 30 into Portland to finish the time and trip. This route gives you: the Columbia River valley, Hood River, Central Oregon via Bend, Crater Lake, the world famous Rogue and Umpqua rivers, waterfalls, the coast, wine tasting, and Portland. Stay at B&Bs, the owners are great as they are your Concierge for their area, they know it as they live it. Check out www.obbg.org for a list of inspected and approved Bed and Breakfast inns through out Oregon. You will be glad you did.
Apr 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM

Hope you have the time to complete OregonInnKeeper's itinerary.
Minor change to a route number 138 into Roseburg then I-5 N to Sutherlin and 138 to Elkton and turn left on Rt 38 west.
About 5 miles east of Reedsport are 2 viewpoints where you may see Roosevelt Elk.
In addition to Bend and Sisters, Deschutes County has some great lodging in Sunriver.
You will see some snow in Crater Lake NP but the roads and parking lots for the vistas will be melted off.
Last year for the first time in over 40 years a car drifted over the edge and went all the way to the lake. They had a difficult time removing it.
Apr 2nd, 2011, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. All responses were very helpful!
Apr 2nd, 2011, 08:27 AM

You're welcome.

Here is a very beautiful place to hike, just north of Bend: http://www.oregonstateparks.org/imag...smith_full.pdf

There are also interesting volcanic sites in the Bend area: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centralorego...aland-vc.shtml

HTTY
Apr 2nd, 2011, 09:11 AM

you will be in Portland the weekend of July 4th and the Waterfront Blues Festival will be on - dont know if you enjoy that type of a venue but I go to it every year - lots of great musicians -

you could consider doing a "Blues Cruise" on the Willamette - a tour boat that will have bands on board for afternoon and evening cruises.

agree with Innkeeper on staying at the Prospect- I have a group of friends who are there this weekend cross country skiing and snow shoeing
and the Bend area is amazing - you could spend a week there - I only live a couple of hours away and I love everytime I go over.

You sound like active people so here is another fun thing to do- you could stop at Elk Lake Resort ( not far from SunRiver) and go kayaking on the lake. You can rent kayaks there, there is a nice little restaurant for lunch and the lake is nice to kayak on with snow capped mountain in the background.

If you decide to do the kayak event, I would call ahead and reserve one
Apr 13th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Hello Sunbum1944,

Thank you for your reply esp. about the Blues Festival. That sounds really good. What is the best way to do that? Should we buy the $40 pass? Do they let you take chairs in? Food? I especially want to see Lucinda Williams.
Apr 13th, 2011, 09:15 AM

not sure about the fee structure for the Blues Festival this year - apparently it has changed from previous years so guess it depends on how much time you want to spend there.
we usually try to get there early and find a spot to put our things because it gets REALLY packed later on
I think with the new fees, they will let you leave for awhile and to me that would be a good thing. Used to be that if you decided to leave for awhile, you could not get back in if it was too crowded so I might opt for the $40 pass as I believe that does guarantee you getting back in.

yes you can bring chair ( but not with high backs) , blankets to spread out and we usually bring a small sun umbrella - they dont allow a big umbrella . People bring in coolers with food but you can buy food there - and wine and beer. Or, if you are allowed to leave and come back in, gives you a chance to try a local restaurant close by.
This is the first year I will miss in awhile - will be in Alaska.

On the 4th, they have a great display of fireworks from a barge in the river-
If you decide to do the Blues Cruise you will need to book in advance - they get sold out.

Make you stop by the "Back Door Stage" It is a smaller stage but seems to attract more of the old time blues entertainers -
May 5th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

One more question. Does anybody know of a company that will take us to the Willamette Valley wineries for tasting from our hotel in Portland and bring us back the same day? Thank you.
May 5th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Here's hoping your question can be answered on this website:
http://www.oregonwinecountry.org/
If it happens to rain, make sure to visit Powell's Bookstore in Portland.
May 5th, 2011, 05:54 PM
mms

buddd--I met the owner/operator of A Nose For Wine a couple years ago. I have not used him since we live right here in the middle of all the wineries, but his clients absolutely raved about him. I met him when we were at a winery and he brought a small group in. He was very down to earth and takes people to the more hidden gems vs the big names.
May 6th, 2011, 10:43 AM

Visit Powells Bookstore rain or shine.
May 9th, 2011, 03:12 PM

We spent a week in the Portland/ Hood River/ Eugene area last summer at the same time that you will be traveling (first week in July). Some highlights of our trip included hiking in the Columbia River Gorge area (MANY wonderful hikes in this area) and also in Silver Falls State Park (between Portland and Eugene). After a day of hiking in the Gorge area, we stayed at an AMAZING bed and breakfast just outside of Hood River - Sakura Ridge (http://www.sakuraridge.com/). We stayed in the River Room; it has an incredible view of Mt. Hood - it was this view that made the stay here extra special. I HIGHLY recommend this B&B! The next day we traveled down to Mt. Hood, and back to Portland. We enjoyed the hiking in the gorge area much more than this next day driving back to Portland and probably would have spent the return trip to Portland doing more hikes in the gorge area if we did it again. One other suggestion, if you like classical music, is the Oregon Bach Festival, which will be going on while you are in Oregon. Most concerts are held in the Eugene area, but I see that there is one concert in Portland on July 9. We went to one concert last year and enjoyed it very much. We wanted to see some of the coast, but the only time we could have done this was over the 4th of July and we didn't want to fight the traffic, which is why we opted for the Silver Falls park hike instead on our way back to Portland from Eugene. Enjoy your trip! It is a beautiful area!
Jul 14th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

To Sumbum again,

Thanks for your tip on the Bluesfest. We went Sat and Sunday and had a great time with great weather. It's unbelievable how friendly people are in Oregon.
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

To OregonInnKeeper and others,

Thanks for your suggestions. We did both the Rogue and Umpqua River Scenic Drives and both were beautiful for sightseeing and hiking. We also stayed at the Prospect Hotel due to your suggestions and loved it. What a beautiful state and we totally lucked out with beautiful weather.
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:57 AM

How long would you have to allow to do the loop that OregonInnKeeper outlines here? We have never visited Oregon.
Jul 20th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

We spent 10 days altogether but spent just about 3 in Portland so 7 for the rest. We only spent 1 1/2 days on the coast though. We skipped the most northern and southern parts. Oregon has a book they will spend you on Scenic Drives. I think we did 4-5 of them.