Crater Lake to Oregon Coast to Willamette Valley to Columbia River Gorge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are driving around Crater Lake , then the coast , Willamette Valley & up to Columbia River Gorge in early July. We have about 5 days to see all this.
I am wondering from Crater Lake WHERE should we try to start our coastal trip. Looking at the map it seems like Bandon area might be a good starting point. We like scenic drives, short hikes , & only plan to wine taste one day. I've read Canon Beach shouldn't be missed. So I thought we'd go all the way there then hit the wineries before making it to the gorge. Any suggestions tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ,Joan
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 05:43 PM

Where does your trip start? Are you flying into Portland and driving to Crater Lake from there?

Bandon has great ocean views, but to make maximum use of your few days, I suggest you start the coast portion of your trip in Reedsport because the drive to Reedsport from Sutherlin is quite scenic and because much of the stretch of 101 between Florence and Lincoln City offers great ocean views.

Were I you, I would stay in Yachats one night and in Cannon Beach the other.

Hood River is a delightful town in which to spend a night in the Columbia River Gorge.

HTTY
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 05:43 PM

You could drive the very scenic 138? - along the Umpqua River over past Sutherlin (south of Roseburg) and on to the Coast and from there (Reedsport) - down to Bandon Dunes.

From Bandon Dunes up to Cannon Beach would take a good part of the day driving. Or - at Florence - you could head inland to Eugene and go wine tasting at some wineries around there - such as the King Estate, Sweet Cheeks, Hinman, etc.

Here's a webpage for deriving the Oregon Coast. http://www.oregoncoasttravel.net/
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Where do you enter Oregon? What month?
If you enter Oregon on I-5 or US 97 from California see Crater Lake first. If you come before July 2 you may not be able to exit the Park by the north entrance to Rt. 138.
If you fly to Portland plan on a counter-clockwise route visiting the coast first at least as far as Bandon or Crescent City CA. By going as far as Crescent City you can see the Coast Redwoods and then take US 199 with a possible stop at the Oregon Caves Monument before getting to Grants Pass. If you want to avoid Medford take Rt 234 through Gold Hill to get to Rt. 62 to come in the south entrance of Crater Lake. If the north entrance is open, you have the choice of going east on 138 to US 97 to visit Bend or going west down the Umpqua River to get back on I-5 at Roseburg.
Traveling south on the Pacific coast always makes the most sense to me for ease of driving.
Either way you will see Mt. Hood and the Columbia Gorge east of Portland after Crater Lake.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 07:38 PM

Lots of wine in Southern Oregon.
See the Oregon wine thread that happened recently.
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 03:33 AM

You could also visit some wineries around Southerlin (Umpqua Valley) on your way to the Oregon Coast. http://www.umpquavalleywineries.org/

And btw - if you do want to see Bandon -and it's fabled golf courses, it's only a fairly short distance south of Reedsport - about 70 miles.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Dear Happy trails,

Thanks for the input, I think you gave me some good tips on CA trip last year too( thanks for those also). We actually fly into Medford & start at Crater Lake. Thought we'd do the coast to Canon, then Wilamette, then Colum. River Gorge. Then up into Washington to see Rainier . Hoping to make it to Vancouver too?? We have 2 weeks. And yes I think I have TRAVEL ADD for anyone who is wondering while they're reading this
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys I bookmarked the umpqua valley & the oregon coast websites. I will check to see if the N. entrance will be open because we might be there on June 30 or July 1 , I didn't even think about it not being open. That's what this forum is all about I guess. All your tips are helping my trip evolve with ease.

Thanks so Much, Joan
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 10:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Allegiant airline recently started service between Oakland and Medford. The fares are somewhat cheaper than the other airlines to fly to Medford or Redmond. http://www.allegiantair.com/
When I choose to fly to Las Vegas rather than drive it is on Allegiant.
Check with the Park Service website to check on the open date for the north entrance. If it is closed you can still drive up Rt. 230 by Diamond Lake to get to Rt. 138.