Oregon Recommendations

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Mary Ellen

Oregon Recommendations

We'd like to go and explore Oregon this summer. I'm open to suggestions. We'd like to fly into Portland and stay about a week.

Thanks

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:17 PM
CWilliam

I thought Crater Lake was one of the most beautiful spots I've ever visited. The Crater Lake Lodge is awesome. I'd spend 1 night there if I went back. The coast line is breathtaking. Sand Dunes National Park (or Monument or something) is interesting. The Columbia River Gorge makes a nice day trip from Portland. The wine country of the Willamete (sp?) Valley is worth a visit too.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Ron

Take a day...head east on I80 to the Troatdale exit,,take the old scenic highway to Crown point,IMHO one of the top 10 viewpoints in the country. Continue east, several waterfalls along this road, the biggest, Multnomah falls. Hook back up to I80 east to Hood River, head south and loop around Mt. Hood. Drive up to timberline Lodge for lunch. then head back down to Portland.
IMO one of the "must do" trips when visiting Portland.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:18 AM
Wendy

Living in Seattle we love taking weekends in the North Willamette wine country also know as Yamhill region. There is a fantastic B&B called Youngberg which is on a hill looking over the valley. The whole area is 45 minutes west of Portland- a very easy drive. It is absolutely beautiful and on the way to the ocean.

Check out http://www.yamhillwine.com/index.htm for more information.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:30 PM
Glenda

The Central Oregon are (Bend, Redmond, Hwy 97) offers some of the most beautiful scenery in the country and is a part of Oregon that most people don't even know is there. There's still snow on the Cascade Range, lakes to enjoy, trails to hike and some very fine accomodations. Check out Sun River and Black Butte. All of the passes that take you across the mountains from I-5 are extremely scenic and there's one beautiful river after another. From Portland I would recommend driving hwy 26 past Mt. Hood (do take the time to drive up to Timberline Lodge)and on to Bend, then continue south to Crater Lake. Its a quick trip back up to Portland on I-5 and you will have seen some amazing scenery.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Mia

Mary Ellen, all of the other posters have given you terrific suggestions. I'd like to add a few more.
1. The Oregon Coast is breathtaking. The closest beaches to Portland are Cannon Beach and Seaside, both about 1.5 hours from Portland and an easy day trip. Driving down Hwy. 101 is absolutely spectacular. Another coast option (and a good option if you choose to spend some time winetasting in the Yamhill Valley) is to drive to Lincoln City and then work your way up the coast. If you go this way, make sure to stop at the Otis Cafe in, you guessed it, Otis (The town consists of a gas station, a post office and the cafe, but the cafe has been written up in the NY Times.) for an amazing, hearty breakfast.
2. Don't neglect Portland itself. Saturday Market is wonderful for wandering - despite the name, it's open on Sundays, too. And the Rose Garden, Japanese Garden, and new Chinese Garden are all lovely. If you like beer, no place is better than Portland. The brew pubs are great fun for people of any age. Exploring the hipster Pearl District is lots of fun, and no visit to Portland is complete without a stop at Powell's, arguably the country's best bookstore.

You may be able to tell from my raving that I'm a Portlander, and I'd be more than happy to help with anything you need if you email me directly. (Friends often think that I really ought to work for the visitor's association.)

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Mia

Mary Ellen, all of the other posters have given you terrific suggestions. I'd like to add a few more.
1. The Oregon Coast is breathtaking. The closest beaches to Portland are Cannon Beach and Seaside, both about 1.5 hours from Portland and an easy day trip. Driving down Hwy. 101 is absolutely spectacular. Another coast option (and a good option if you choose to spend some time winetasting in the Yamhill Valley) is to drive to Lincoln City and then work your way up the coast. If you go this way, make sure to stop at the Otis Cafe in, you guessed it, Otis (The town consists of a gas station, a post office and the cafe, but the cafe has been written up in the NY Times.) for an amazing, hearty breakfast.
2. Don't neglect Portland itself. Saturday Market is wonderful for wandering - despite the name, it's open on Sundays, too. And the Rose Garden, Japanese Garden, and new Chinese Garden are all lovely. If you like beer, no place is better than Portland. The brew pubs are great fun for people of any age. Exploring the hipster Pearl District is lots of fun, and no visit to Portland is complete without a stop at Powell's, arguably the country's best bookstore.

You may be able to tell from my raving that I'm a Portlander, and I'd be more than happy to help with anything you need if you email me directly. (Friends often think that I really ought to work for the visitor's association.)

-Mia

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:14 PM
April

You don't say who 'we' are but if you go to the Yamhill area and if any of you are remotely interested in aviation, don't miss the outstanding, above & beyond Evergreen museum in McMinnville. It's not far from the Youngberg Inn actually.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:45 PM
tom

McMinville, a small college town, is where they moved the spruce goose to if you want to see that. its a huge airplane made out of wood, thus the "spruce" in the name. it is something to see.