Search

Road trip bus- East cost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip bus- East cost

Hi all,

I'm in exchange in the US for one year. I'm in a university near NYC. For christmas, I have a break of 3 weeks and obviously I'd like to travel! Since I don't have a car, I can't really do a "road trip" as I would like to, so I figured I may just take buses. So I was thinking about starting at NY, and then go to: Virginia Beach, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville. Then I was thinking about not going to Florida but instead going to New Orleans! And from there I don't know.. Texas? Going back to NY?

So do any of you ever did something similar? Do you have any advice/suggestion for me? Do you think that it is even doable ? ^^

Thank you and have a good night or day!!
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 02:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
You could check out Amtrak also.
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 04:00 PM

Where to go will depend on what interests you most and budget. You can get very inexpensive bus travel to Washington DC and many of the points of interest there are free.

Go on line and look for lodging in the places you want to go.

Have you had time to explore New York city or has your time been spent mostly at school?

Have you asked any of your classmates about where they live and if they would be willing to show you their city?
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 06:05 PM

Check out options for Greyhound Express and Mega Bus, which make few or no stops and have free WiFi.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 07:06 AM

It's probably doable. Never take a trip by bus but no reason why you couldn't. I'd opt for St. Augustine instead of JAX. Concur with the idea of going to New Orleans. Stop along the way in Destin and Mobile--a very nice older city and quite walkable. In three weeks, you don't have much time to go further west than New Orleans. But if you have more time and don't want to fly back to NYC yet, then head northeast to Memphis and Nashville for the music.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 01:35 PM

I haven't done it but looked into it. possibly- as NO is sort of an outlier- fly to Orlando, if that's of any interest, and take the train all the way up the east coast. There is plenty to fill up three weeks- I'd add Philadelphia and Washington to your list. Trains are a lot more pleasant than buses and on the east coast, the stations are pretty neat and central. And I'd fly the first leg because it will save a lot of time. You want to maximize your sightseeing time.

Also keep in mind- a more budget friendly trip would be to use DC or even NYC as hub as someone suggested above. Have you been to Boston? Montreal, Quebec? I think probably you're headed south because of warm weather, but north would be a great option as well? I could spend those three weeks split between Boston and DC- two of my favorite cities!
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 05:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Take one of the cheap buses from NYC to Washington. Spend some time in DC and then decide whether you want to go Florida and the east coast cities or go to New Orleans.
Amtrak has 2 Silvers trains to Florida every day.
To go to New Orleans you should ride the Amtrak Crescent.
You might want to break the Crescent trip in Atlanta.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 03:38 AM

I am going to be a naysayer for anything but the Megabus or that kind that run from some cities. I think the bus stations and buses of the Greyhound ilk can be dangerous for a lone person--and our daughter DID do it ONE time.
Investigate discounts that may be possible for exchange students or youth.
Amtrak would be fine.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 04:44 AM

I agree with Amtrack to New Orleans. Did that one years ago from Alpine, Texas at Christmastime and it was great. Listen to the old Arlo Guthrie song "City of New Orleans" to get in the mood...
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you SO much every one for your responses!!

As for NY, I spent 2 weeks visiting the city before school started, this is why I don't really feel like staying there for several days.. And I'm planning to spend a week end in DC in early December.. so this is why I didn't add it to my list.. (even thought 2 days are super short to visit DC, but I may go again during the Spring semester to see more things!). And yes, the reason I want to go South is mostly for the weather! But I'll definitely go to Boston one day!!

As for the companies, I was looking into Greyhound and Megabuses, and they seem to be the cheapest alternatives (cheaper than Amtrak I think). But Gretchen mentioned that it could be dangerous... Do anyone else have a feedback on that point?

And thank you for the cities suggestions, I'll keep think about it! So you think I should decide between Florida and New orleans... visiting both would be too much?

Thank you again!!
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 06:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The other way to get to New Orleans from NYC is to take the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago and spend from 8 to 34 hours in Chicago (great HI Hostel there) and then ride the "City of New Orleans" south overnight to Memphis.
Spend 24 hours in Memphis and then ride (daytime) to New Orleans.
The New Orleans Amtrak station and Greyhound station are in the same building which is next to the Superbowl dome.
The things that I don't like about long bus rides are the one (rarely 2) bathrooms and the bus driver picking the meal stops.
On Amtrak you normally have at least 4 bathrooms per coach car and you have at least a cafe car so you can get something to eat almost any time between 6AM and 8PM.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 08:07 AM

I will somewhat qualify my admonition with comfort and cleanliness. Look into cheap air tickets for long distances also.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 09:55 AM

So the iffyness of the bus terminals is true in a lot of cases. Sometimes, like Tomfuller says, it's in the Amtrak station and I don't mind that. But sometimes it's in a part of a town that I really don't want to hang around in after dark. It's one of the reasons I don't take buses- and I wasn't clear on whether you are female or male. But especially if you're a female solo traveller- I'd make sure those buses aren't leaving or arriving at weird hours. You meet a lot of....unique...folks on buses too. There have been enough incidences where I did not feel safe that now I mostly avoid buses. (And Tomfullers point about comfort is very true- on a train you have more bathrooms and you can move around)

I think to do both New Orleans and Florida you'll have to fly a few legs. Have you looked the bus schedules up? Because those are some long rides. I like Tomfullers idea of Chicago and New Orleans. I would stay a few days in Chicago- it would be cold, but Chicago is a lot of fun and has some fantastic architecture. Then take the train down to New Orleans. But it depends what you want to do in these cities. You haven't really told us your interests. If you like theme parks, for instance, I know of people who spend 3 weeks in Florida just for that. Maybe you like history- and I'd do New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, DC. If you like history- a weekend is way, way too short for DC.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 11:50 AM

I've taken buses between cities a lot in my travels in the US. Stations and fellow travelers can be scruffy at times and there's nothing glamorous about it, but I've found bus travel perfectly safe, mostly reliable, and about as cheap as it gets. If for some reason the station isn't in the best part of town, just take a cab to or from and don't wander around outside. Avoid Chinatown-type bus lines like Fung Wah though, as they sometimes have mechanical or similar safety issues. Companies like Greyhound, Megabus, and Peter Pan are fine.

Train depots are normally pleasant places, though Amtrak trains are prone to lateness, sometimes severely. They are also often more expensive than buses.

Flights are generally reliable and much quicker than either, but are usually by far the most expensive option.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 01:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't want to say it but since someone did, the Greyhound buses are not that great. My husband still tells the story of the time they rode one to Texas from NC. His Mom, sister and three brothers. He had to sit next to a guy that was drinking the whole trip and kept falling on him sleeping. You might get a good seat mate or you might not.
That is why I said Amtrak.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 05:06 PM

Macross, fortunately that's never happened to me -- and I've done a good bit of bus travel over the years. Though I suspect the further back in the bus one sits, the more likely that might happen. But a drunk (or otherwise less than ideal) seat neighbor can happen on a plane or train ride as well.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Yes I'm a female! It's true that I haven't thought about the bathroom situation in buses.. I'm more considering taking the train now.. even if it is more expensive..

As for my interest, I really love nature, but I know that alone and without a car, visiting a "wild" place is not an option for me this winter. This is why I'll stay in cities. I'm really not interested in attraction parks; what I usually like to do in a new city is just walking around really! Enjoy the atmosphere, visit a few museums, that sort of things!

And another reason why I wanted to take a bus/train instead of a plane, is that I would like to see how different states look like. But I am really gonna see anything, apart from a big highway if I take a bus? And what about the trains?

I can't thank you enough for all your suggestions!!!
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 05:14 PM

Also, would definitely second the recommendation to visit St. Augustine instead of Jacksonville.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 05:32 PM

I avoid bathrooms on buses, trains, and planes because of general cleanliness reasons, claustrophobia issues, and possible motion sickness problems. I find none of them especially pleasant. Much better to use the facilities where you're staying beforehand and not overdo on beverages during travel.

Bathrooms in airports generally are okay. Those in train stations can be hit or miss, while those in bus terminals can be even less pleasant -- depends on where you are.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

I'm taking notes for St Augustine, thank you!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -