Road trip advice needed - GA/SC/FL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2021, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My boyfriend and I are planning a week long road trip in early October through Georgia, South Carolina and possibly a little into Florida. We’re starting in Blue Ridge. Our end game is Charleston, then Savannah and possibly St Augustine If we have time. What I’m stuck on is where to stop in the middle (for probably just one night). We love small towns, country roads and good food. My boyfriend is into history. We’re always looking for scenic routes but are also willing to just jump on the highway when need be. I’m very interested in Congaree National Park too so maybe that area? That’s still pretty far from Blue Ridge though. Also wondering if St. Augustine is worth visiting? Or should we skip it? Any advice would be super helpful!! Thanks!!
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 10:24 PM

I would say St. Augustine is worth going to, especially if you're into history. I really enjoyed my time there, but you can see all the major sites in about 4-6 hours, so it's probably not worth more than a day imo. (Unless you wanna do beach days)

The main stop between Blue Ridge and Charleston is Columbia, although I've never been there. The Riverbanks Zoo has a reputation for being one of the best zoos in the country. Hopefully someone who's been there can shed more light on it.
Old May 1st, 2021, 02:30 AM

What is "Blue Ridge"? I would think you could drive to Charleston . If you want a stop in SC you could make it Greenville. There is an Andrew Wyeth exhibit at thier museum and a lively restaurant scene..
Old May 1st, 2021, 07:41 AM

Blue Ridge Mountains, I presume? but where, somewhere around Asheville is the starting point?

The drive from Asheville to Charleston isn't that long, it's only about five hours so no need to spend the night anywhere. Of course that's on major highways, but still. I don't really understand the dilemma, Congaree State Park is right on the general route between Asheville and Charleston, so don't see why you can't visit it. It's only about 3 hrs from Asheville, I'm not understanding the problem actually. If Blue Ridge means northernmost part of parkway, say around Staunton VA, you could certainly drive that in a day on major highways if you didn't want to stop anywhere in-between. I drive that much all the time on trips, it's only 6 hrs by interstate.

So if you have no place you really want to stop in-between, I could see going there quickly first day and then you have plenty of time to see it next day and go on to other interests. I don't know that part of the US so cant' recommend some small town gems on that route.
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 02:27 PM

Congaree National Park,
Haw Creek Valley Overlook, Long Winding Road, Bull Creek Valley Overlook in Asheville, NC
Craggy Gardens Visitor Center in Black Mountain, NC
Buncombe County,
French Broad Overlook and Bad Fork Valley Overlook in Arden, NC
Wash Creek Valley Overlook, Henderson County, Hominy Valley Overlook, Haywood County, and Transylvania County in Candler, NC,
DuPont State Recreational Forest in Cedar Mountain, NC
Max Patch in Hot Springs, NC
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Cobb County, GA
Charleston was so charming, a lot like New Orleans. Savanna too. South of the Border used to be a kitschy roadside attraction that was fun. I remember nearby there being a cool store called J.R. Cigar which sold all kinds of neat antiques and beautiful dolls. I don't know if they still exist. Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head are really nice beach towns. The 1st is more family fun like mini-golf and the 2nd is a bit classier. I remember being in awe of the wild horses running free on the Outer Banks.
Gatlinburg and Chattanooga are worth visits. The cabins scattered through the smokey mountains are so romantic. Skyline Drive is amazing. You'll see so many animals right off the main road like deer, bears, etc. You're probably not going this far west but Mammoth Cave National Park is really cool. If you like climbing Foster Falls is great and the Ocoee River is perfect for beginners whitewater rafting.
Yes, St. Augustine is definitely worth a visit. If you go into FL then the Kennedy Space Center is also really cool. There's a bioluminescent river for kayaking nearby in Merrit Island.
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 02:46 AM

I think the OP is long gone from here--and maybe starting her trip.
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 07:58 AM

Blue Ridge is a city in Georgia, near the Tennessee/N. Carolina border.
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 03:37 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Correct. Blue Ridge is a town in the NW corner of GA. It's a very popular mountain town for visitors and/or second homes - that often become full time homes.

Nowhere close to Virginia.

449 miles away, in fact.