Road to Hana past Hana

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 07:23 PM
Adam Mills

Road to Hana past Hana

I'm going to Maui September 5th, and planning to do the road to Hana, of course. I've read that the road gets pretty nasty past the seven sacred pools. Is it possible to stay on the road and circle Maui instead of backtracking? Has anyone recently traveled on this section of road? I really would like to continue on the road around the south side of Maui and end up in Wailea, if possible. If not Wailea, at least back in Kahului.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 05:45 AM
Paul Rabe

Just a thought -- as you'll be renting a car, why not ask the car rental company if you can drive their car around Maui? If they say "no," there's probably a reason.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 06:32 AM
p thompson

My husband and I visited last year and it is possible to go all the way around. Be sure to visit Tedeschi Vineyards if you do this.

Also, someone from work just returned from Maui and said that parts of the Road to Hana is currently under construction.

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 08:56 AM
Leslie

Hi Adam,

Did the road to Hana, etc. at the end of April. The road does get narrower past Hana on the way to the Seven Sacred Pools, but it's not that bad. We saw the BEST waterfall of all on that stretch of road. Most rental car agencies won't let you drive on the road that goes past the pools, unless you rent a 4 wheel drive. We saw lots of folks in rented Jeep Wranglers heading off that way.

Not sure if you can get to Wailea that way, but you can get to the winery, and that road will take you back to Kahului.

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 08:56 AM
Leslie

Hi Adam,

Did the road to Hana, etc. at the end of April. The road does get narrower past Hana on the way to the Seven Sacred Pools, but it's not that bad. We saw the BEST waterfall of all on that stretch of road. Most rental car agencies won't let you drive on the road that goes past the pools, unless you rent a 4 wheel drive. We saw lots of folks in rented Jeep Wranglers heading off that way.

Not sure if you can get to Wailea that way, but you can get to the winery, and that road will take you back to Kahului.

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 06:11 PM
Holly

Adam,
We were just there two weeks ago and went all the way around. It is not bad AT ALL. In fact one area has a Brand new bridge and towards the end it becomes a freshly paved highway! We had a jeep - so we werent worried about the rough spots - but believe me we saw plenty of Geo's and other small cars go whipping by. This side of the drive is the best part in our opinion. We decided that the rumors about it being bad were generated by the tour companies because all the Tour Buses and Vans took this Route! We kept laughing as the vans went flying past us at 60mph! I think they want to keep the drive for themselves and as an edge to sell tours. Have Fun!

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 11:37 PM
Karen

We rented a dinky little used car on Maui and took the road just fine. The only downside is that if something DID happen to you on that part of the road, you're on your own. There were some rough spots, but nothing that couldn't be done and they have improved it alot in the last year or so. We took it last October. And the winery at the end of the drive makes it VERY worth the effort . . .

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 04:53 PM
Jen

My husband and I are going to Maui in 3 weeks. We wanted to do the Road to Hana and then some, but were concerned about the construction that is going on. Any suggestions on this?

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 06:59 PM
phil

Just got back from Driving the road to Hana. I did not go past the seven pools although wish I has as the drive back seemed like it would never end.Plan on an all day trip if you come back the same way and want to get out and take pictures and hike. I did not have a jeep so I did not want to take the chance. As far as the consruction goes it is right past the black sand beach and only goes for a quarter mile.Constuction and delays are only on the weekdays. There is no construction on the weekends and I went on Saturday with no problems.

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 11:54 AM
Jane

Just got back from Maui today! We drove the Hana road on a week day and had no problems with the construction. Just make sure that you get through mile marker 14 before 11:00am when they shut it. We thought that the road would be particularly crowded because of the construction restrictions but it was not crowded at all!! We went past the seven pools for a while until we chickened out (well, I did anyway). The road seemed fine, but the warnings from the rental agency got to me. As far as we did go, we saw some incredible coastline. I think it would have been a beautiful part of the island to see. I must admit I felt a little stupid when we turned around and then started seeing all the tour vans whizzing by. But as a previous poster noted, unless your rental agency oks it, you're on your own if something happens to your car.