Road to Hana from Kaanapali

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read that the road to Hana from Kahului takes 6-8 hours. We will be on Maui at the beginning of May, staying at Kaanapali.

I think, foolishly, we should have hired a car at the airport and driven ourselves around to Kaanapali. (I may be able to cancel our transfers.)

Are we able to hire a car in Kaanapali and if so how long would we need to allow for the round trip to Hana? Would we be better going clockwise or anticlockwise?

Would appreciate your advice.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 07:49 PM

Arrange to pick up a rental car at the airport when you arrive. You will need a car on Maui for your entire stay. There is much to see all over the island and a car is really the only way to go. Re. Hana Highway: Go clockwise and don't count on being able to drive all the way around the southern tip and upcountry to get back.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 08:08 PM

Agree.

Rent a car at the airport for your entire stay. It is much better when you have your own wheels.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:27 AM
KVR

We stayed at the Kaanapail Beach hotel and the room rate included a rental car. We picked up from the airport when we arrived. We chose not to drive the Road to Hanna, but took a tour instead. We much preferred being drove and able to see all the highlights. It was an all day adventure.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks one and all.

I think my best option would be to take a tour to Hana and hire a car for everything else.

Does anyone have experience with specific tour companies? I've found Road to Hana and Hawaii Cruise Excursions and various offers on Hawaii Discount Activities.

Any recommendations?
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 03:23 AM
KVR

We used a tour operator on Mauibound.com, but that was back in 2003. I looked on their web-site today and it's changed. However, they are still offering Road to Hana Tours.

Also look at Robert's Adventures and http://www.101thingstodo.com/
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Sorry I can't remember the name of the tour company we used, but I would definitely recommend that you use a tour company in a mini bus. It is a long day and not an easy drive.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 06:15 PM

Unless you are nearing 80 years old and have bad eyesight, the road to Hana is not that difficult. You do not need to take a tour bus. Drive your rental car and have a fun time. Yes, it is narrow, and it takes time. It is dramatic and beautiful.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Dramatic and beautiful, yes...and also nauseating! If you have an inclination towards car sickness....DON'T GO! I can't imagine doing the Road to Hana in a tour bus...the roads are so very narrow.

It does take all day long and there are very few places to actually stop.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 11:21 PM

I like to drive that road because I can stop when I want to take photos or just take in the scenery at my own pace. I don't think the drive or the road is bad at all and I have driven in in a rain storm late at night in a clunky car.

When you say round trip do you mean coming back on the back road? I would go the back road on the way there and the regular Hana road on the return.

I have also driven the back road in a storm and also it gets pretty tricky in the dark.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input.

As first timers to Hawaii and 58 and 60 I'm still leaning towards a tour. Being from Australia we are also unused to driving on the right hand side of the road.

So many options DH and I will have to sit down and really work out our priorities. I am amazed at what is on offer by way of tour companies and websites. Still researching. The AUD and USD exchange rate is now also playing a part in our decisions.

I've already cancelled our transfers and am organising a car regardless.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:36 AM

We did a tour with Mauibound.com and thought it was excellent