Road to Hana

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 08:22 PM
SMB

Road to Hana

Does anyone have any recent experiences doing the Road to Hana. I heard the waterfalls are not running because the water levels are so low, amoung other negative comments. Has anyone done it recently? Good or bad? Is there another drive that we should do?

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Missy

We were in Maui in May, and did the road to Hana. At that time the waterfalls were a lot less full than they typically are, we were told.

But we still had a marvelous drive and enjoyed it very much. Maybe someone else here has been there more recently than May.

Here's an idea you may not have thought of, you can combine the road to hana with a helicopter ride. We really wanted to do a helicopter ride, but wasn't sure when/where we'd fit it in. Our concierge told us about Temptation Tours (www.temptationtours.com) and how they offer a helicopter ride over the island and the big crater and into Hana, and then you ride in an air-conditioned limousine van on the drive back, with a lunch provided and a good tour guide.

We had a GREAT time and really enjoyed it. My husband was SO HAPPY he wasn't the one driving and that he was able to enjoy the ride.
Good luck!

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Russell Farquer

Yes....the other drive should be around the west in of the island(NOTE- most car rental companies do not allow their cars on this road-very narrow in spots)

The drive is beautiful.....I think one of the best of all the islands. North on Hwy 30 from kaanapali, turns into 340 to KAHULUI.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Nova

Car rental companies do not specifically prohibit travel on any part of Maui.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 10:52 PM
SMB

Thanks for the advice. The western/norther end looks like a good idea.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:10 AM
joan

Nova, we rented a car from Dollar. The map that came with the car ended at Hana, and on the north it ended just above Kapalua, with a large red warning to the effect of "no rental cars may be taken beyond this point". I hid it from my husband until after we did both drives - no problem at all, just a little narrowness, and some potholes on the back side of Hana road.

BTW, we were there in September and the waterfalls were running so heavily, that the park rangers were out in force and you could not swim in some areas where the guidebooks suggested. Water levels must be seasonal.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:12 AM
joan

Oops, not Dollar, but Alamo.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Yvonne

Plan to spend around 6-8 hours for this trip. The road is very curvy so most the time you are going 25 mph. If you get car sick, beware! I speak from personal experience. It was beautiful though and we had lunch in Hana.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Nova

Joan, read your car rental agreement as that is the only legal document that states where you may or may not go with your rental car. The only restriction on Maui is unpaved roads. The "no rental cars allowed" notation on the driving maps may be intended to discourage renters from going to certain areas but it is not a legal restriction.

EVERYONE SHOULD READ THEIR CAR RENTAL AGREEMENT AND BE FAMILIAR WITH IT AS THE RENTAL AGREEMENT IS THE ONLY DOCUMENT THAT APPLIES IF YOU HAVE AN ACCIDENT, THE CAR IS DAMAGED, OR THE CAR IS STOLEN.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 05:38 PM
pc

Just went in early Dec. Did the Road to Hana and was extremely disappointed. I could see where it would be beautiful, but it hadn't rained there in 30 days. It was nothing like the pictures in Maui Revealed. The drive on the north part of the island was spectacular and I would definitely suggest doing that. The blowhole and olivine pools were just incredible!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:41 PM
SMB

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a long time to spend in a car. I think we will check out the western/northern route instead. Having never been, I am really excited about this trip!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:51 PM
Dorothy

follow the yellow brick road to the blowhole.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 07:09 PM
smb

I don't get it.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 08:15 PM
hello?

will the real smb please stand up?

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 08:47 PM
smb

I can't stand up because i'm too hung over. Which may be why I don't get your post either. maybe I'll just go to bed instead. I thought we were talking about hawaii.

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 01:28 PM

topped for dolciani