Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

road to Hana and then Mama's Fish house for dinner? What's the dress for the restaurant?

Search

road to Hana and then Mama's Fish house for dinner? What's the dress for the restaurant?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, We've decided to get up early 6 or 7 am and begin the road to Hana (we're staying in Kanaapali) stopping along the way to see several of the sights discussed in "Revealed". We have rented a ford explorer so we're debating whether to take the full circle around or to make a uturn after the 7 pools and go back the way we came. The big question is...if we dress for the hiking and the swimming in the pools (exploring the different beaches along the way) about when should we expect to reach Mama's for dinner. Also, will we be appropriately dressed for the restaurant if we're in our "explorer's clothes" (shorts over bathing suit, etc. Or should we plan to change somewhere, and where? We really don't want to make a 2nd trip from Kanaapali to come back to Mama's for dinner - seems like a long drive from Kanaapali.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 05:28 AM

Nice shorts and a casual button down or polo shirt are fine.

As for timing, it all depends on how many places you stop and for how long. It's tough to say. But by leaving that early, you should be good with a 6pm dinner reservation.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 05:49 AM

dolciani,

We had this same problem. We ended up not going at all to mama's that day. You do have to dress up for mama's, but you would not feel confortable because many people will be(Nice shorts/sandals or khakis,nice button down shirts). If you plan on a whole day for the road to hana(and it IS worth it) you will be swiming,hiking, and covered in suntan lotion - you wont feel confortable at a place like mamas unless you can go somewhere to clean up. I would suggest heading to mamas another day, or try to find a place to shower and change along the hana coast.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 06:22 AM

How long/far is it to Mama's Fish House from Kanaapali?
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

I think it is at least an hour's drive (my Revealed book says that Kanaapali is one hour from the airport) and Mama's seems a bit farther from the airport so.....
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 09:48 AM

We stopped by Mama's on our way back from a full day out on the road and were not dressed for a fancy dinner out. We just wanted to take a peek for future reference. There were people waiting for their tables dressed very nicely and I stolled in wearing shorts. Much to my surprise, Reception asked if we wanted a table. Rather than make the drive another day we said "yes" and were seated outside immediately. Perhaps people were waiting for "better" tables inside, but the food was fabulous and the patio was beautiful too. I always keep a long wrinkle free skirt, a fresh T and some festive jewelry with me so I can pull them on over my suit for opportunities such as these. You can always wear some festive flip-flops and you'll be good to go!
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 10:05 AM

Another option to consider would be a stop at Mama's for lunch. We did a motorcycle day-tour, never did make it all the way to Hana. We dressed in jeans and t-shirts. Lunch was wonderful!! Albeit expensive $110 for the two of us included drinks, lunch and dessert. Hope you have a great time!
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

wow Cmills - that must have been some lunch! I don't forsee us being back in the area of Mama's by lunch time - we're going aroung to the 7 pools, taking our time to stop at many of the sights. We'll probably have lunch at the Hana hotel (the only recommendation by revealed for dining in Hana)...so lunch at Mama's is not an option.
At this point, I think we'll just throw a change of clothes in the car and pull over at some secluded place to dress a little better than shorts pulled over a bathing suit.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:25 AM

I think a change of clothes is a good idea...

We stopped at Mama's around 3:30 I believe and just strolled in wearing our "explorer" clothes. We really only wanted a couple drinks and pupus...and they didn't have a table available at that time (I think they were switching over from lunch to dinner...) so we sat on a couch with a coffee table and were just fine and dandy there...

Mama's is not to be missed! We thought they had the best mai-tais and pupus on the island...plus the overall ambiance of the restaurant is ONO!

aloha
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:27 AM

Hey dolciani,

When my wife & I were in Maui in February, we did exactly what you're planning on doing.....we changed in the car on the way back. We left very early from Wailea (before 7) and did most of the stops and little excursions mentioned in Maui Revealed. And while we planned to go all the way around, we decided to retrace our tracks after the Seven Sacred Pools to make our 8 P.M. reservation at Mama's. It was probably 6:15ish when we finished up S.S.P. and while the mileage is about the same from there whether you go on or make a u'e and turn back, the better road conditions the way we came made us think it'd be the quickest way back to Mama's. We ended up being about 20 minutes late but they held our table (we called ahead to let them know we'd be on the late side).
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Wow - Thanks for the info (esp. Doug). It really helps to plan when someone else and "done it". I made 7:30 reservations at Mamas and will plan on leaving Seven Pools by 5 w/ a change of clothes. Can't wait for the maitais - altho my hubby is a great home bartender, I hear they have the best on the island at Mamas (we can always appreciate a good drink, or two, or three)...but then again, we have to drive all the way back to Kanaapali
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:34 AM

dolciani,

I can definitely vouch for Mama's maitais....they were great!

Have a wonderful time!!!
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 05:07 AM

Topping for Scott S.