Search

Road to Hana

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Donna & Michael

Road to Hana

Going to Maui and Kauai next month. Can hardly wait. Would like to do the unguided bike ride down the crater and also the Road to Hana. Heard it has construction going on and is closed part of the day with long delays. Anyone been on it lately that can advise if we should give it a try?

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Sarah

Thank you for the good morning NYC Hawaii post. Just the way I like to start my day! Have not been to Maui in couple of years but I would strongly suggest four wheel drive on the back side of Haleakela (road just after Hana). I would also suggest a tape guide to play in car on road to hana. When we rented this they loaned us a bird and flower guide. The best was the tape telling us where to stop for brief walks without the tape the drive is less interesting a lot of winding roads. Have done the road to Hana 3-4 times (used guide first trip)usually because others in party wanted to see, would not do it again without the guide.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Celeste

You will find widely varying opinions on this, but personally I thought the drive to Hana was the biggest waste of a day I've ever spent. It's fun for the first 20 minutes and then it gets old. But if you do go all the way around, I don't think you'll have any trouble in a regular two-wheel drive vehicle as the back part of the road is now in pretty good shape. But unless you have a whole day to spend on this trip - a day you wouldn't possible want to spend anywhere else - I'd skip the drive to Hana.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 06:00 AM
nina

I'll give my dissenting opinion here. The trip to Hana ranks as one of the best days of my life. It was surely the single best thing I did in any of all the Hawaiian islands I visited, and I pretty much did it all, from Haleakala, to volcanoes to a Helicopter tour over Kauai. I don't know if you can still swim in the 7 sacred pools but that was awesome and was the highlight of our trip. My opinion is DON'T MISS IT! A resounding thumbs up!

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Tracey

I agree with Sarah about biking the spine-but only if your an experienced rider. My husband biked it and got 3 flats, but said it was one of the best rides ever. He rented a mountain bike through a local company who even provided a map. E-mail me if you want more info.
As for the road to Hana-do it. Buy the book Maui Reveled and let that guide you to waterfalls that no one else will be at. (Also helps with biking the spine). Go the whole road and make a day of it. Pack a picnic lunch and leave early! It really was a great day. Hope this helps.
Tracey

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Debbie

I saw an article in my travel section about the construction. It sounded very extensive but I think it was only on weekdays. Weekends, the road would be open. I would check on the internet with the Maui newspapers or tourist board sites (do a search, I don't know the addresses) to get detailed information about road closures. Last year my sister skipped the sunrise at Haleakala because of fear about that road construction. It turned out the construction was actually no big deal and she really regretted missing the experience

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 01:12 PM
xxx

the advantage of a guided tour is you can relax. i felt really bad for my husband cause while he was concentrating on the road i was going..."whow, is that". but, i was young and too chicken to drive that road so as long as you have two drivers, i like having my own vehicle.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 04:58 PM
P

We did it with a van tour from Ekahi Tours, that way I could look around without having to drive. It was a fun day out. A lot of the guidebooks still say you shouldn't (can't)drive a rent car past Hana or round the north end of Maui but that's no longer true. Our rental agreement said nothing about it at all. Have fun.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Ava & Matthew

Went to Maui 5 yrs ago and are returning again in 2 weeks. Definitely do the Road to Hana, it is spectacular! We had a convertible last time and have a Jeep this time. Do not get a hard top-you will miss a lot of the views. We drove to the 7 pools and are planning a drive all the way around. AAA said nothing about any road construction we should be concerned about. We also drove all the way around the north side. It is also a great drive. We can't wait to go back. Maui is such a magical place, we came back as changed people and vowed to return at least every 5 years. After all, you only live once and should make the most of it.