Ritz-Huntington/Pasadena

Search

Ritz-Huntington/Pasadena

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Paige

Ritz-Huntington/Pasadena

Hi all,
My husband and I are thinking about staying at the Ritz-Carlton Huntington that is in Pasadena, CA. I am about 5 1/2 mos. pregant and he needs to be near Long Beach for work so I am trying to come up with a hotel that would be nice for me too, very relaxing, good pool, but is still in the area - that way I can tag along on this "business trip". Our rate at the Ritz is $250 a night for 3 nights which includes one dinner and one breakfast. We really can't spend much more than that and it seemed the beachfront hotels that I had heard of were much more expensive. We are in our late 20's and want to splurge before the baby but not break the bank. I think I've read just about everything posted so I thought I would see if you all had any thoughts about this Ritz or other hotels in the area. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE - Paige

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Curious

Paige,

I'm curious why you want to stay in Pasadena when your husband will be working in Long Beach? You will be fighting the famous Southern California Freeway traffic coming and going.

Couldn't you get something around Long Beach?

Curious

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 06:36 AM
paige

Curious -
Well, and please correct me if I am wrong, when I looked on Expedia maps it looked like about 30 miles to Long Beach and my husband was convinced that it was closer. Plus, I am being a naive Texan probably and not factoring enough time regarding the traffic. My husband needs to go to Long Beach - to the port area 2 days or maybe even just 1 if we are lucky. Anyway, I have never been to the area so I would LOVE suggestions for a better resort in the area of Long Beach if you know of any. This was really just the best I came up with after searching quikbook, expedia, reading these boards, bidding for travel etc....We would love a resort like place. I will not be offended at all if you think Pasadena is a bad idea- I would rather hear now than realize it when we get there!! Thanks.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 06:48 AM
paige

OK -I promise not to post again. I realize how I messed up - I initially thought this Ritz was 13 miles from Long Beach because when I searched for a map on expedia I typed in Huntington Beach thinking it was correct since the Ritz is called the Ritz Carlton Huntington. HELP with another suggestion in the area. I promise I am doing my research too and not just wasting your time. THanks.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Curious

Paige,

I used to work in Long Beach, and lived in Huntington Beach. That was years ago. I moved back to Northern California to get away from the Southern California smog.

That said, here is the web page for the City of Long Beach.

http://www.visitlongbeach.com/listings/index.cfm?action=displayListing&listingID=9&catID=13&subCatID=0&startrange=All&endrange=All&notify=1

It has the hotels, etc. At least you would be near water rather than inland (choke).

Just do a search for a five star property. You will do ok.

Curious

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Glenn

I checked sample rates for the Four Seasons Newport Beach in August and weekend rates can be as low as $250-300 (some including breakfast).
South Coast Plaza, one of So Cal's best shopping centers, is just minutes from the Four Seasons (entertainment for you) and has a wide array of great retailers from Prada, Bulgari and Chanel, to Nordstrom, Saks and the usual retailers you find everywhere else.
The FS Newport would be about a 25-35 minute drive to Long Beach (if all goes well) and is one of the nicest places in the area.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 10:38 AM
John

Hi, Paige,
Check out the LB hotel list at www.biddingfortravel.com - you'll see that 3- and 4-star (Hyatt and above) hotels in Long Beach have been going for $50 or less via Priceline.com.

Virtually any of the hotels in LB listed as 3 stars or above will be very comfortable and well located. Head south from downtown LB to the Belmont Shores/Naples area for fun shopping, restaurants, and canal/waterfront walks - one of the nicest parts of greater LA IMO.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 10:40 AM
John

PS, meant to add that $250 for 3 nights at the Huntington is a great price for a great hotel - it's just not where you want to be.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 02:41 PM
TJ

Pasadena and the Huntington Library are great if you have a free day and want to visit. It is quite a distance though as it's around 20-30 minutes (barring hideous traffic) from downtown LA (obviously quite a bit further from Long Beach)

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Guardian of $

Don't waste your money on a hotel! It simply does not make sense in your case.
Save the bucks and buy something for the family later. $250 a night for three nights is $750 (plus taxes). Wake up lady!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 05:52 PM
janet

And what's your big problem 'guardian'??
I HATE it when presumptuous, narrow minded people presume to know how everyone ELSE should spend their money.

What's it to you if Paige wants to have a nice trip before her first child is born?

Do you have any idea what her husband's income is?

No?
Then why are you telling her how to live her life?

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 06:07 PM
paige

Thanks Janet Thank you all so much for the tips and Guardian while your sentiments may have been well intended, you really shouldn't judge how I or anyone else spends their money. Do you want to make people feel bad for their traveling preferences? Hopefully that was just the unintended consequences.

The Hyatt could be good, or the Four Seasons - I really did not realize that Newport was so close to LongBeach. The Hyatt looked like it wasn't in a great area but I will trust you all on this since I was the one that thought Pasadena was a good area! Thanks again,

Paige....off to search some more.....

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Carin

If he needs to be in Long Beach, then Pasadena is NOT for you - traffic is horrible between those two cities. Try Huntington Beach or Newport.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 04:58 AM
xxx

My mom lived and died in Long Beach. When I had to attend her funeral, I stayed at a really nice bed and breakfast that was downtown. It was called "The Lord Mayor Inn". It was about 120 a nite and the owners were wonderful, esp. since I could not stop crying...I will do a quick check and see if I can find a website for them. I was there in 95 a while ago but they had been in business for quite some time..

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:02 AM
xxx

I did find them thru a search on google, it is the Lord Mayor's Bed and Breakfast Inn, the same owners are still running it. They have added more buildings to it, when I was there Rueben had just started renovating those buildings. He was doing alot of the work himself and took me and my dad on a tour of the structures and what he had planned for them. According to their website they haven't raised their rates in the last few years either. Since the same owners are running it , I would definitely stay there again. It is also near the convention center, etc.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:09 AM
xxx

Newport Beach would be my choice, though it will mean more time on the freeway for your husband. But as you said, he may only have to go there one of the days.

And people, if he's there on business, his company is probably picking up part of their lodging expenses.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 05:27 AM
paige

I just checked back - THank you all for the new tips. I am now trying to get us in somewhere near NewPort Beach.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:47 AM
xxx

The Four Seasons in Newport would be a good choice. Right at Fashion Island (which is a great outdoor mall). Lots of restaurants nearby. Balboa Island is just across PCH and would be fun to wander around.