Laguna Beach: Where to Stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are looking for a quiet and relaxing 2-3 night stay in mid-January. We would prefer a location that is accessible to a beach by walking. Would anyone recommend the Casa Laguna Inn or Laguna Riviera Beach Resort? Is the St. Regis or Ritz Carlton worth the extra splurge?
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 09:00 AM

We stayed at the Inn at Laguna Beach this summer and the location was ideal--right next to a nice walking path along cliffs above the ocean which had beach access points along the way. The place got great reviews on here and tripadvisor and it was good.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 08:15 PM

We have stayed at the Laguna Riviera twice and though it is not the Ritz, we love it there, very friendly, well kept and right on the beach.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 04:51 AM

We also stayed at the Laguna Riviera and would stay again. As joe said, not the ritz but actually very nice and RIGHT on the beach with private balconies. And also within walking distance of everything.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 03:30 PM

gilber20
As I local I have to warn you the Ritz is going under a major remodel. It will not be finished for a while. The St. Regis is 2 miles from the beach.
The smaller hotels are more fun such as the ones you mentioned and the Surf and sand (right on the beach). The Inn at Laguna is in the heart of town and right on the beach. If you want to go frou frou, spluge on the Montage. Completely gorgeous and on the beach.
It can be cold and rainy here in January so plan accordingly. Unless you are a polar bear or seal, don't plan on an ocean swim!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:15 AM

Just a correction...the St. Regis is in no way 2 miles from the beach. While it's not on the beach, it is just across Pacific Coast Hghwy from the ocean, about 1/3 of a mile.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:43 AM

Having lived in that area for 25 yrs I must warn you Jan. can be either great or horrible weather-wise. While you may hit a lovely spell be prepared that it may be cold/rainy/dreary and not exactly beach walking weather. Always better to be prepared!!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 08:41 PM

Sorry Frankie...2 miles or at LEAST 1 3/4
door to door, or parking to parking lot and walk or take the tram that runs at least every 20 minutes and wait to return.Maybe a little less if you walk out the door, cross PCH from Niguel road, cross Salt Creek parking lot next to the Riz Carlton and walk the path down to the beach. Other hotels recommended are -beach out the door, fall on the sand.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. Would anyone recommend the Blue Lantern Inn further down PCH in Dana Point? It looks very quaint, but may be too far from the beach and the town of Laguna Beach.

Also, the Inn at Laguna and Casa Laguna seem to have a few noise complaints. Are these places close to the highway?
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 08:53 AM

ok, if you insist, Deloris! It certainly doesn't look that far, and I drive by that way frequently...

I stayed at the Blue Lantern Inn about 10 years ago, and it was lovely. If it's been well kept up, and I think it has, it should be great. Ocean view rooms have a great view high on a cliff above Dana Point Harbor, but don't get a cheaper room... they overlook the parking lot and are noisy.

It would be about a 10 minute drive to Laguna, correct me if I'm wrong, Deloris...
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 09:02 AM

I stayed at the Inn at Laguna Beach & loved it. The location was fantastic, and you gotta love that room service breakfasts are included in the price...which is pretty inexpensive to begin with. It IS right on the PCH and also right on the beach. My room faced the highway (probably why it was so cheap) but the noise wasn't bad at all...slept like a baby.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 11:54 AM

If you are going to splurge I highly recommend Montage. It is on the water and is fantastic, but very expensive. The Ritz Carlton is renovating their rooms which have gotten very tired, but the public areas are very nice. St. Regis is lovely but not on the water. Great if you want to play golf.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 12:24 PM

We'll be staying at The Blue Lantern Inn again in Feb. We love the place. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and the breakfast is wonderful. We walk down to the harbor from the Inn, but drive into downtown Laguna Beach. They offer several different packages.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 12:56 PM

I second or third the suggestion for the Blue Lantern Inn. It is a really peaceful place to stay, has great breakfasts. There are also some nice walks from the Inn at the end of the street and through a park overlooking the ocean. There is also a great Italian restaurant about two blocks away up on the main road which we liked enough to go there twice in three days. Also a good fish restaurant down on the harbor.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 08:44 PM

Frankie!!
You are right! sort of. From the Blue Lantern Inn to the Laguna Beach city line it is about 10 minutes, but not to the center of LB main town, which is closer to 20 minutes, depending on traffic, etc.LB is a long, and skinny coastal town!
ALL the inns mentioned are noisy if facing the highway, but why go there if you don't splurge on an ocean view???
Call for "package" prices. Honeymoon, birthday, anniversary, etc, make one up.
Margo, the Italian restaurant you mentioned is Luciannas, a neighborhood fixture although changing hands a few times recently.
And last point about the Blue Lantern, as charming as it is, it is on the CLIFFS above the ocean and require a very long hike, (head out the door, turn right, and walk a few blocks to Heritage Park and down the hill, thru the harbor to the beach) or take the car.
After all the rain and 50 degree temps this week, it is supposed to be in the lower 80's by the end of the week!! Ah, So Cal..pack accordingly
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 08:38 AM

We love the Laguna Riviera. The rates are great and they are right on the beach with private access. You can walk to downtown in 10 minutes. The Blue Lantern is not in Laguna. They do have a nice breakfast but from the Riviera you are only a couple of minutes from the Beach House which is right on the ocean or the Penquin Cafe where all the locals go for breakfast or just have the free continental breakfast offered by the hotel. We go to Laguna frequently and unless you want to spend a fortune for the Ritz or Montage the Riviera is our personal favorite for price, comfort, staff & location.