Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Inn at Laguna Beach vs. Beach House at Hermosa

Apr 28th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

I am debating between staying at the Inn at Laguna Beach or the Beach House at Hermosa, but I am unfamiliar with Hermosa Beach.
It would be a two-night stay (not the weekend) in late October, and we are a couple in our early 50s.
How do the two hotels compare in terms of beach access/views and charm, and how do the two "towns" compare in terms of shopping and restaurants. Thanks.
Apr 28th, 2006, 05:03 PM

I just returned from a stay in Hermosa Beach. I liked the area it wasnt as sleezy as Santa Monica or similar areas. The pier has recently been redone...the sunsets were fabulous! We also saw Jay Leno at the comedy and Magic club there...great show!
Apr 28th, 2006, 05:35 PM
jd

We have stayed at the Beach House 3 times, and like it a lot. The photo section on their website is very accurate. It's on a great stretch of beach. The suites are really nice; the beds are comfortable,it has a large bathroom, and the living room has a fireplace.Also has a frig., and microwave, dishes, ect. The included breakfast is good. The only thing it doesn't have is a pool, although it does have a nice hot tub.
There is a Good Stuffs restaurant next door, as well as many choices at the pier.Cantina Real is great for Mexican.At night, the pier area becomes a hang out for the 20's crowd.
I'm not familiar with the Inn at Laguna Beach, but the area is definitely more upscale.
Apr 28th, 2006, 06:20 PM

I have not stayed at either hotel.

Hermosa Beach is not really a touristy town. Neither are the adjacent beach towns. If you have a car there is plenty of shopping and restaurants. JD is right about the 20's something crowd on Pier Ave and the Strand after dark.

Laguna Beach will have art galleries and high end shopping. There is also a good range of restaurants.

As far as beach access is concerned I think they are about the same.
Apr 28th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Can't speak to the Beach House, but we have stayed twice at the Inn at Laguna Beach, and found it to be a charming small boutique hotel. It sits perched just above the north end of the main beach. Oceanfront rooms on the south side on the top level have the most privacy and great ocean views. We like to sleep to the sound of the surf, but these rooms are so close that you may not sleep if the sliders are open and the surf is up--it is that close. And you can walk to most restaurants, shopping, and galleries in Laguna.
Apr 29th, 2006, 11:49 AM

I am familiar with both though I've only stayed at the Inn at Laguna Beach. I think you'd enjoy Laguna Beach more. There are lots of original artwork galleries and interesting shops within walking distance as well as some great places for ice cream. Hermosa is also fun but more of the surf type shops in the area. both hotels are nice but Inn at Laguna Beach gets my vote.
Apr 29th, 2006, 12:30 PM

I am not familiar with Beach House, but I really like Inn at Laguna Beach. The first time I had a great and large room with a patio facing the ocean. The second time the room was very small but still nice. I really like the feal of Laguna with the ocean and art galleries.
Apr 29th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

majmaj4,

Do you know if the rooms vary a lot in size within the same category, or did you request a different category of room the second time? Thanks.

mscarls
Apr 30th, 2006, 10:46 PM

I have not stayed at either hotel but have spent some time in both cities and both have beautiful beaches but I much prefer Laguna as far as walking around and shopping and eating. A fun place.
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:14 PM

We stayed for one night at the Beach House a couple years ago in early September and loved it! Very cozy and luxurious room with great views of the ocean. There is an annex building that is not on the beach and would be sub-optimal if you're looking for an ocean view. We enjoyed Hermosa as well, which had plenty of good options for dining. Don't have any experience with Laguna.