Notices

huntington beach?

Old May 25th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
huntington beach?

So what is Huntington Beach really like? We have reservations at the Hyatt in June for a week. Want to just hang out at the beach, go shopping, spend a couple of days at Disneyland. Should we stay somewhere else? It is a family vacation with 2 and 5 year olds.
Old May 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM

Huntington Beach is a nice (and big) beach. Hopefully you have looked at the pictures from the Hyatt and realize you have to cross Pacific Coast Highway to get to the beach (not a big deal unless you are carrying lots of stuff). The Hyatt has their own bridge over busy PCH.

I think it is a great resort for kids. If you haven't down so already, check out reviews on tripadvisor, they are good.

Don't know what kind of shopping you are looking for. South on PCH in Newport Beach is Fashion Island, a big outdoor mall. South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa is also close. It's a HUGE upscale indoor mall. If you are looking for more unique type shops, you could go to Laguna Beach.

Keep in mind that we have what is called "June Gloom" here in So. Cal. Basically that is a marine layer that sits over the ocean and can sometimes last most of the day in the beach areas. Usually it burns off later in the day and if you go a few miles inland it will be sunnier and much warmer. So just be prepared for that when planning beach days. I would definitely bring jackets and/or sweatshirts.

Old May 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM

meant to "done" so. I really need to start proofing my replies.
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:21 AM
lvk

I think it is a fine place to spend a few days with kids. Be aware, though, that Huntington Beach has some of the strongest surf on the CA coast. It can be very overwhelming for small children.
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Personally, having lived in Orange County for a number of years, including Huntington Beach and Newport Beach, I think you might want to also check out staying in Laguna Beach. It's a little more upscale than Huntington Beach. The Surf and Sand Hotel is fabulous and right on the beach, no crossing PCH to get to it. I spent many vacations in Laguna Beach as a child and have very wonderful memories of the place. Maybe HB has changed since I lived there a few years back but I always got a sketchy vibe from the place. Too many pot smoking surfers riding their bikes around main street. Just a thought. The only downside about Laguna Beach is the traffic can be a little horrendous in the summer.