Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ritz carlton, Registry, or Don Cesar which is best ?

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 01:04 AM
Jane

We are thinking of staying at either the Ritz Carlton or Registry Naples or the Don Cesar in Petes beach. We like peace and quiet and good food, our son likes kids clubs and swimming pools . We have already stayed at Registry and really liked it but thought a change might be a good idea. Any views on which would be best choice ?

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 04:04 AM
Patrick

As a Naples resident, I feel it would be hard to top either of our two top hotels, The Ritz being a little stodgy, and the Registry being a little more "fun". Two years ago we joined a friend for brunch at the Don Cesar and it was incredibly disappointing. Horrible service, mediocre food that had been standing on steam tables for many hours, and a presentation (other than an ice sculpture) that reminded me of a Holiday Inn Buffet. Can't speak about the rooms, but I sure wasn't impressed with the place from my limited experience.

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 05:19 AM
Mary

The Don Cesar is a great hotel. We've stayed there many times and have never been disappointed. It does not have the same atmosphere as the Registry or the Ritz as it is an older hotel (built in the 20's). You might want to check their website (www.doncesar.com).

Hope this helps.

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 06:20 AM
cmcdaniel

For what it's worth, the Don CeSar has lost a star/diamond from it's Mobil/AAA rating as of last year. It's still a very nice hotel and if you are looking to stay on St. Pete Beach, that would be my choice.

Of the 3 hotels mentioned, though, the Ritz is probably the best for you all..elegant, peaceful, good food etc, though your son might prefer the atmosphere of the Don (I know our kids would). Ritz is the best of the 3 by far.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 03:03 PM
elaine

Jane,

I'll second the Ritz.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 10:47 PM
ted

Yes, that's a no-brainer: The Ritz by far! Too bad you can't wait for their new property to be built on Lido Key in Sarasota!!

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 07:11 AM
Patrick

Ted, am I missing the point of the new Ritz in Sarasota? Downtown Sarasota is a joke, except for its culture -opera, the theatres and galleries. There is no beach even near the Ritz, you must drive, or presumably they will have some sort of shuttle. At the Ritz in Naples, you truly never have to leave if you don't want to. They have the spectacular beach right there and really good casual restaurants or sunset drinks on their boardwalk at the beach. I am a Floridian, but I don't understand why somebody would pay the Ritz prices to stay at the new Ritz in downtown Sarasota when they could go stay at the Ritz on the beach in Naples??

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 07:40 AM
Audrey

The Ritz in Naples has plenty of activities for kids; the Ritz gets my vote.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Jane

Thanks to all for replying. Looks like the ritz is wrth crossing the atlantic for.... we live in UK !

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 10:06 PM
Ted

Patrick, I was under the impression that the Ritz was being built ON Lido Key which, as you know, is a very beautiful beach, indeed! However, if as you state, it is really being built downtown with just a shuttle to the beach, then I would say forget it! Anyway, the only reason I mentioned it was because the Poster had mentioned St. Pete's, and I thought if they decided to stay there instead (or perhaps stay overnight), then the Ritz would be a viable option. However, I agree with you: If choosing between Lido Key and Naples I would wholeheartedly opt for Naples!! However, to be fair, many of the neighborhoods INLAND away from the beaches in Naples are NOT so great either!! However, the British couple above will truly love the splendor of the Ritz in Naples, no doubt about it!!!

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 01:59 AM
Sharon

The Don Cesar needs a few more million dollar upgrades to bring it up to snuff. It is interesting architecturally but the food service there is kind of mediocre, the interior a bit down at the heels, but the beach is nice. The Ritz has a wonderful beach as does the Registry. Food at the Ritz is outstanding and the service is superb. Sarasota area has needed a good full service premier hotel for a long time. I look forward to a new Ritz there. My understanding is that is will be on the beach on Lido Key (St. Armands area)

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 04:05 AM
cmcdaniel

The Ritz being built in Sarasota will be downtown, fairly near the Hyatt, but they will have a beach club on Lido Key. As traffic in and around St. Armands in season can be mind boggling, this is quite a drawback. They are also to have a golf course--not sure where that will be.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 10:30 PM
Johnny Sharp

Jane, Hello we live in the UK too, Lancashire to be exact. We stayed at the Registry in Sept. 98 and loved it, mind you we really like Naples anyway.
We have not stayed at any of the other Hotels you mention but have stayed on St.Petes Beach, Naples is much nicer.
So maybe you should try the Ritz for a change. We have travelled all over Florida and the Registry , along with the Omni Rosen in Orlando, is one of our favourite hotels. Have a great time, we are visiting Florida again this coming September.