Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Manka's Lodge/Marin/Pt. Reyes....Need advice please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 11:29 AM
Debbie C

For my Husband's B-day in late April, I've booked Manka's Lodge in Inverness. Any feedback? We'd like to do hiking, view wildflowers, and bike in that coastal region. Any tips on activities, lodging, restaurants in Marin/Mendocino county? We'll be in the area for 4 days/3 nights. Thanks!

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 05:20 AM
Jack

We haven't been to Manka's/Inverness in about 10 years, used to go there often but now we enjoy the Bodega Bay area or Mendocino Coast. Manka's is known for it's excellant restaurant, the rooms are very modest and limited. Pt Reyes has many hiking trails as does Mt Tam in Mill Valley. Along the coastline there is Muir Beach, Stinson Beach, Bolinas. Try the BBQ oysters in the Tomales Bay area.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 02:13 PM
Steve

Debbie - My wife and I have hiked on some of the trails that start in the Muir Woods park area. You can park in the parking lots there, pick up a trail map, and pay a modest amount to enter the area. In 1997, we hiked all the way from there to Stinson Beach and back -- lots of diverse scenery, from heavy woods to open fields. We're going back in early May. There are also several good web sites that describe in detail the Mt. Tam, Muir Beach, Marin County, etc. trails. Good luck.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 09:31 AM
kam

Muir Woods is worth about an hour detour on your way up to Pt. Reyes National Seashore which is a great place to hike and watch birds.You can easily spend several days in the area. Look at Point Reyes Seashore Lodge in Olema or the Inn at the Tides in Bodega Bay (Bay View Restaurant is great for crab cakes).Also try the Lucas Wharf Restaurant and Bar for oysters from Tomales Bay. Pelican Inn at Muir beach is a nice place to have lunch and then walk on the beach.You can call ahead to the Pt.Reyes Seashore to find out what special field trips such as tide pool studies, bird watching etc. are being offered any weekend.Your hotel can give you the number--I've lost it. Sorry I don't know the Manka's Lodge but Inverness is a nice little town.BTW, this is all in Marin and Sonoma County--Mendocino is farther north. Keeping fingers crossed that you won't have too much fog.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 10:59 AM
Dan

Kam: this is completely off the subject, but you reminded me of a restaurant in Marin where we had the most wonderful meal; it looked as if it had been a home, white, with shutters; their chocolate creme brule was just outstanding! Do you know what it would be? I think it was a person's name...

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 02:16 PM
kam

Dan, you've got me. The only person's name I can think of is John Ash & Co. in Santa Rosa but that doesn't look as you describe it. Do you remember what town it was in?

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 04:27 AM
Dan

Kam: I think it was Ross? I'm checking my journal too...