Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Naples - Is Is TOO Upscale?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (myself, husband and 16 year old son) are thinking about spending a few days at the Ritz Carlton in Naples this summer (I know it will be hot and humid). The summer rates are affordable ($289 for oceanfront room), however, I worry that it might be a little too upscale. I like very nice hotels, but I want them to be comfortable. We would not stay at this Ritz Carlton during the high season ($500 per night), but the summer rate is affordable for us.

Your thoughts, experiences would be appreciated.

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 05:36 AM

Which one are yoy talking about? The one that is located at the beach or Ritz Carlton Tiburon? They are both nice, but I didn't feel that they were too upscale. It is Florida and people do tend to not dress too formal.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

The Ritz Carlton Naples on the Beach.

Sorry for any confusion.

Thank you.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 08:07 AM

The public areas are fairly upscale, but not uncomfortably so. The pool areas are pretty casual, as is the beach and the beach bar/restaurant. The beach bar is a great place to watch the sunset.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 11:15 AM

I had the same concern. I had visited the Ritz Carlton a few years and thought that it looked a bit too stuffy for me to want to stay there. Last year my wife convinced me to try it and I loved it. We are going back next month. You will probably feel compelled to dress a little nicer there than you might at less upscale resort but it is a very comfortable and surprisingly laid back hotel. Go for it.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:32 PM

My favorite hotel - You will love it. Lobby and main restaurant are upscale, but the other eateries are great esp. Gumbo Limbo on the beach. Everyone at the hotel is so nice and the beach is beautiful. You will be comfortable. We have stayed at this hotel so much that we finally just bought a home in Naples. The summer is by far the best time to go - it is hot and humid, but no crowds. Have a great time!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:46 PM

Hey, welcome to new fellow Neopolitan, Bern.

We in Naples were all a bit surprised when the Ritz first opened. I guess many of us expected a more casual, but still grand look, not unlike the Ritz at Laguna Nigel in California. Instead we were greeted with huge crystal chandeliers, heavy European style draperies and furnishings, and extremely formal fittings. You must wear a robe everywhere -- don't let your son expect to hop onto an elevator and then walk through the hotel in his swim trunks and flip flops. And you will feel out of place sitting in the lobby in cut-off and t-shirt. But if you can get beyond that while staying on a beach, you will probably love it. I've never heard reports of staff members being "stuffy" or aloof. In fact, quite the opposite, they tend to be a very friendly crowd.

I've been somewhat surprised recently by a few posts here about the "faltering" service, particularly with the spa.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:47 PM

OOOps, if you're going to be one, you should know how to spell it. I meant NEAPOLITAN.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies.

I think we will be fine because cutoffs and t-shirts are not our style. We tend to dress in khakis, polo type shirts, nice shorts, etc. I assume that attire would be acceptable during the day. I doubt that we would have dinner at the Ritz - probably too expensive and would require a jacket for my husband and son.

Thanks, again, for your responses.