Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch or Marriott Vail Mountain Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2003, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at these two hotels because I have points for both and can get 7 free nights at either. Can anybody give me the pros and cons of each and their opinion of the better? We went to Vail last year and stayed at the Sonnenalp and were very happy. I am looking for middle to upper intermediate skiing and a luxury hotel. The only nightlife I am in need of is good restaurants. We do not frequent bars unless it is in the hotel. We do like to shop for artwork and such so that stuff would need to be convenient.
Thanks a bunch!!
Old May 9th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

ttt!
Thanks
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

TTT. Anyone out there to help me?
Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2003, 12:27 PM

From a 20 year Vail resident/realtor:
Two are SO different!!!
Ritz is by far a finer hotel, brand new, luxurious! However there is no "Village" of B.G. per say> just the Ritz, a few other condo complexes at the base of the lift & that's it. There is a free shuttle to Beaver Creek for more shopping, galleries & restaurants, but the Ritz is it in B.G. Great skiiing in B.G. and you ski right to/from your door at the Ritz.
On the other hand, the Marriot is where the action is. everything Vail has to offer is within walking or free bus away. Older hotel, but going through major renovation.Pick your "lifestyle":
Quiet elegance or where the action is!!
Old May 15th, 2003, 02:54 PM

Absolutely agree with Localgal - The Ritz is much more luxurious than the Marriott (as per usual) but Marriott has a better location for shopping, restaurants, etc. Marriott is not as nice as the Sonnenalp or as well loceated.
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Oh, thank you for posting a response! I can use hotel points at either. I do like a nice hotel and we will go out to dinner each nite and do like that to be convenient. I guess what I need is the Ritz in Vail!!! Oh well! The marriott is not in vail village is it so I would need to use the shuttle for dinner and stuff there also right? How convenient is the shuttle system from the Ritz to Beaver Creek and how long of a ride? Does the shuttle stay open for the evening?
Thanks a bunch!!
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Just noticed localgal that you are a realtor. I am a mortgage underwriter. If I could get my husband to move I would love to live there and get a job. How's the market and is there any mortgage companies in the village's or is everything by Denver?
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:07 AM

Theres a free shuttle system called Dial-A-Ride that runs from BG to BC. Its door to door service - generally takes less than 10 minutes to pick you up and it usually takes about 10=15 minutes max to get you from one to the other. Runs throughout the night. BC has some great galleries and restaurants.

The Marriott is in an area of Vail called Lionshead. The gondola runs from here - less than 100 yds from the Marriott. Theres a couple great restaurants there (Montauk was wonderful last week!) but the majority of the restaurants and upscale shopping is in the Village. Without ski equipment, its a 10 minute walk or theres a free bus system that picks up at the Marriott.

Lift tickets are interchangeable between Vail & Beaver Creek (You can ski btwn BC & BG) and there are buses btwn both for about $2/one way.

I dont know about mortgage companies in the Village (rents to expensive), but around town - Vail, Edwards, Avon where actual workers live, there are a ton of mortgage companies.
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Blyvail! It sounds as if we ought to try the Ritz as the shuttle is convenient. I remember the shuttle was convenient from Vail Village to Lionshead but the shops there weren't as nice like you said. What is the skiing like at BG compared to Vail. We really liked Vail. We also went to Breckenridge but I did not like the skiing there. Too groomed and crowded.
Thanks again!