Richmond area stopover?

May 26th, 2009, 01:14 PM
ljv
Original Poster

Richmond area stopover?

Our family of 4 will be driving from NJ to Seabrook Island,SC this August. Are considering a 2-3 night stopover in the Richmond area. Thought we might do a day at King's Dominion and the remainder of the visit sightseeing.

Not sure if we should stay in Richmond proper, or in an outlying area. I was looking at the Wyndham Virginia Crossing Resort in Glen Allen, which looks to be equidistant from K.D. and Richmond. We are very open to suggestions....but would prefer either a "resort" type of place with beautiful grounds OR a B&B or hotel with a lot of charm and ambience. If we stay in Richmond, we'd like to be in one of the nicer districts.

ANY suggustions are greatly appreciated, as we are not at all familiar with this area.

Thanks in advance!
May 26th, 2009, 03:26 PM

Outside of Richmond, near Monticello, there are some beautiful resorts. You could use Expedia to search for hotels near Monticello and they should be listed.
May 27th, 2009, 03:21 AM

Well, montereybob, Monticello is about an hour and a half from Richmond, so even if the hotels are great, they aren't very convenient for Richmond or King's Dominion. But Monticello is more than worth a special trip. Same thing is true of Williamsburg in the other direction.

The area you are talking about in Glen Allen doesn't have anything much of interest in itself, being mostly office parks and big box stores (I can hear people coming down on me already) but it is only about 20 minutes from the Fan, Museum District, and Carytown, all really desirable places to visit. The Capitol and Museum of the Confederacy are probably 25 minutes away.

The resort looks pretty, it has golf, if that matters, and the kids will no doubt like the pool, but I would drive into the city to eat. It will be quick on I-95, and there must be 15 decent places to eat within five blocks of Carytown, in addition to places described in a recent thread on Richmond and other places in Virginia.
May 27th, 2009, 03:55 AM

Daughter and I went to the Wyndham last week as a potential venue for her wedding and it is very nice, but is definitely out of the city and while I think you'd have a nice time there, it definitely would not constitute a Richmond visit and all that entails.

Carytown has a lot of cool shops (your kids would probably love World of Mirth) and places for a burger or nice meal.
May 27th, 2009, 05:54 PM

I stand corrected. Sorry, I was mixed up between Charlottesville and Richmond.
Jun 6th, 2009, 05:15 PM

Question: How old are your kids? I think that's a factor - the Omni downtown is cool if all your group can appreciate the cobblestoned streets (leftover from ship ballast in the colonial days) and walking the shops and fun restaurants in Shockoe Bottom (Bottom's Up Pizza, for example, is superb and a really cool urban type setting). Berkeley hotel is also at that intersection; Jefferson Hotel is only a few blocks away (a late 1800's wonder - gorgeous, and I think they shuttle you to other nearby parts of Richmond for free if you're a guest, so parking's not an issue. But, really, in Richmond, it's not...)
But, if the kids are young and just want to relax in the pool at the end of the day, I'm not sure the Glen Allen spot isn't a good idea. We do travel differently when kids are involved! Very convenient to KD (where you'll surely get tired and hot); also pretty convenient to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg if you want a second day of amusement (or Williamsburg itself). I think there's a water park over there also? (my daughter's 20 now - I'm losing track of all this!) And getting into and out of downtown Richmond is maybe 20 minutes from there??
If you're in Richmond on a Sunday in the summer, I have to tell you that the re-enactment of Patrick Henry's speech at St. John's Church on Church Hill (where the "as for me, give me liberty..." speech actually took place) is fascinating, stirring, wonderfully done. It's 2pm on Sundays - arrive about 30 minutes early for the organ show, then stay a bit after for photos with the actors.
Also good depending on ages of your kids: an almost free day in Maymont Park; wandering along the river and Belle Isle downtown near the old Tredegar's Iron Works; Agecroft Hall is superb, but again: I don't know ages of your group.
And I second the idea for Carytown - lots of great restaurants of all types, so many shops and people that it's simply great fun. We're down there a lot!
Hope this helps
Jun 8th, 2009, 03:54 PM
ljv
Original Poster

Jo ann...Kids are 10 and 20,both girls and both intrepid travelers.
Your idea for the Omni sounds great. We want to mix sightseeing with fun. We'll have plent of time for beach/pool once we get to Seabrook island.
Is KD a great amusement park? Last year we went to Busch gardens and had a wonderful time.
Also, any restaurant must do's...that won't break the bank?

Thanks so much.
Lori
Jun 9th, 2009, 04:28 AM

KD is past its prime.....I would not go there.

In the downtown area, I'd recommend (for a good meal at a reasonable price) The Black Sheep, Comfort, Lulu's, Bottoms Up Pizza would be fun for the girls, especially your youngest.
Jun 13th, 2009, 10:41 AM

I like JanetKMR's ideas - I'll repeat the Bottoms Up Pizza again (I think it's a can't miss for you). We also have a real favorite inexpensive spot that we hit a couple of times a month - at the Omni, you'll be at about 12th & Cary streets - 2 blocks over and at 18th street is Zuppa's (zuppa.org) - the name is Italian for soup, and the food is great and inexpensive. They'll have 5 soups always + 2 or 3 daily specials. Our fave is Thai Chicken noodle (very mild - not spicy) and the Creamy tomato (just had it yesteday!) A bowl with bread they bake is $5!! Their "sliders" (mini-cheeseburgers) are great, salads are superb, mac and cheese at dinnertime, on and on....Daylight: you could about walk it (I would), late evenings I'd probably move the car. It's just past the 17th Street farmer's market, which has lots of restaurants around it, too -
Another great idea and one that many of us tend to not repeat it for some reason: at the Omni you'll be exactly across from The Tobacco Company - this was a renovation of an old tobacco Warehouse in about 1981 or so. The investors who did the rehab basically, as I recall, started the whole re-gentrification of that area going down Cary Street, which had been pretty rundown until then and is now lined with cute shops and small restaurants. The food is good - more upscale (check the website thetobaccocompany.com for ideas), and the setting is just really neat - several stories tall with an open center, ancient elaborate elevator,old beams and bricks. My 20 yr old daughter took her boyfriend there this year when he was visiting. A bit of old Richmond.
From the hotel, you'll also be one block to Peking Restaurant, a very pretty Chinese restaurant that's a block downhill on the cobblestones from the Omni - another can't miss at the end of a long hot day, especially if no one wants to climb back in the car.
I think this will be a neat area, also, with a 20 year old - if she's like my daughter, she'll want to wander a bit on her own. I introduced her to the 17th St. Farmer's Market last Thursday morning, and she had a field day with the several jewelry vendors!
The weather will be pretty humid, of course, but another idea to keep in mind is the area along the James River - they've restored some of the Canals laid out by George Washington (the Omni has a bronzy map of them laid out in the lobby, actually) and you can now walk along the river and over to Belle Isle - loads of history along the whitewater falls (google Canal Walk, Richmond, for good info.)
Whew! lots of great ideas! If you need more - just keep adding them in. We love living here in Richmond - glad to share the ideas.
Jun 15th, 2009, 03:43 AM

I'm going to be the downer here.....I would not go to Zuppa or Tobacco Company. In that area there is much better grub to be had. Tobacco Company is mediocre at best. In that area for fun I'd try City Dogs for a casual lunch or Halligan's...both casual and inexpensive. Millie's Diner is a bit pricey for dinner, but very good, but their brunch is a Richmond classic and not expensive.