Reload this Page >

Getting the Most from a Visit to Williamsburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Lexma90

My family and I - 2 adults and 2 kids, 5 and 8, will be visiting Williamsburg late this Spring. The 8-year-old and I are big history buffs. What would you suggest for the best experience of colonial times? Does staying in the inns in the historical area add to the experience? How about renting costumes for the kids? Particular taverns or restaurants? Anything else that you'd recommend, specific sites to visit or events to attend? And how many days do you recommend for Williamsburg and the surrounding area (Yorktown, Jamestown)? (We're spending 10 days or so between D.C. and Williamsburg). Thanks for the help.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:10 AM
nina

Lexma, we visit Williamsburg every year on our annual trip south. I think the adults enjoy the historic area more than the kids. They tend to get bored after an hour of walking around the historic area.

I suggest making time to visit Water Country USA and Busch gardens. This will break up the historical touring. Dinner in the historic taverns is fun. We've never attempted to put our kids in costume. They did enjoy the ghost walk.

I think the number of days depends on whether you're visiting everything. Add a day each if you'll go to the amusement and water parks, one day for Williamsburg, and another day for Yorktown/Jamestown.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Eva

We visited Williamsburg & surroundings 2 years ago when my daughter was 9 and found that there was plenty to keep her interested.
If you check in at the Visitor Center, they have a "newspaper" that gives the times and locations of all of the activities--highlighting those that are family oriented.
My daughter enjoeyed the trial at the courthouse, the fife and drums, something called the "trying of the fire engine" where crowd participation gets the fire hoses working to put out a fire.
Her favorite meal out was at Cristiana Campbells tavern ( a bit pricey--but she wasn't paying!).
We stayed at the Best Western -a two minute walk to the historic part. The hotel was not that great but the location allowed us to walk back and forth as needed.
Carter's Grove (which is part of the historic site but a few miles away) was an unexpected surprise. We almost didn't go and really did not have enough time to see everything and wished we had more time to spend there.
As far as time-- we spent the first day at Jamestown--about 4 hours. Then 2 full days at the historic site a fw hours at Carters Grove on our way to Busch Gardens where we spent the rest of the day. We also spent a day at Water Country and then visited Yorktown on our way up to D. C.
It sounds like you have enough time to cover everything. Have fun!

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 09:18 AM
marie

Lexma90, I live in Williamsburg and these are the recommendations we make to families who visit. I assume you're talking about visiting in the April timeframe, perhaps school break. The gardens should be beautiful that time of year.

The CW website is quite extensive and has a lot of good info (prices, dates, times,etc) about visiting. colonialwilliamsburg.com. There's lots of kid specific stuff so you can see (and book) in advance for the things that most interest your two. I would recommend attended the Grand Medley which is a family oriented colonial revue. Very silly, a bit slapstick-y but great fun. Audience members are encouraged to call out comments to the cast. It plays Wednesday evenings I think.

Costumes are not available for rental but you can purchase them at a shop in Merchant Square (shops at the edge of the historic area across from the College). Very expensive. Better to purchase tri cornered hats, straw hats with ribbons, toy wooden pop guns and cloth dolls from one of the colonial street vendors. If you have girls, I think American Girl still sells the Felicity costume...we see lots of Felicity's toted around town!

Accommodations in the historic area will not really add to your experience but will add to your total bill. One exception would be to stay in one of the historical houses...they look old on the outside but are modern interiors. But with two young kids I would opt for one of the suites type hotels. They have a little more room to spread out and most have pools. You can also do meals in the rooms which can help the budget and maybe your taste buds. With a couple of exceptions, restaurants in Wmburg are of the chain variety or rather mediocre.

There are "two" Jamestowns located next to one another, occasionally known as "dueling Jamestowns." One is the actual site of the original fort Jamestown Island) and the other is Jamestown Settlement which includes costumed interpreters, re-enactments and life sized replicas of the three ships. The latter place will probably be more entertaining for kids though both are well worth a visit.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 09:41 AM
marie

continued

Jamestown is located at one end of the Colonial Parkway. Yorktown is at the other end and the drive along the James River is quite beautiful. Yorktown also has two sites, the original battlefield (museum and driving tour) and the Yorktown Victory Center which is much like its Jamestown cousin...costumed interpreters etc. I think it also has a kids' "hands on history" room.

I think three to four days is plenty to see it all. Three is really enough but it depends on your stamina (and the kids' energy levels) and degree of interest in the history. Add an additional day (s) for Busch Gardens. Water Country doesn't open regularly until late May. There are some weekend hours but the temps are still a bit cool for a waterpark.

If you get the chance, take the ferry next to Jamestown across the James River to Surry. It's free, runs at least twice an house and is a 15-20 minute ride with beautiful views. Kids love it. Toss bread to the seagulls that follow the ferry. Surry is a sleepy little town with a restaurant (the Surry House) serving not grand but very authentic southern food. Peanut pie. Apple fritters (considered a veg). On that side of the river, Chippokes Plantation is worth a visit but is not a must do site.

There is a ton of history between here and Washington DC. Have a super trip.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Kim

Yes, costumes for children ARE available for rental. We saw people renting them (dresses and bonnets for girls) at the Visitors Center. I think the cost was around $22.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 08:45 PM
janis

I concur w/ Kim. Costumes Definitely are available for rent. I was there for a week in September. Didn't have any kids with me but was in a shop on Duke of Gloucester St whne several families were returning their rental costumes at the end of the day.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Susan

Most of the ideas already given are excellent. I can add a few more. Costumes for boys and girls are available for rent at the visitors center. The Jamestown Settlement is the better of the two for children but if you already have a National Parks pass, the drive on the island is pretty and informative. Carters Grove closes this week for two years. The taverns are fun. Lunch is usually more reasonable. Look at the menus at the visitors' center to decide which one is more appealing. I don't think they take lunch reservations but you may be able to put your name on a list and walk around a little or visit a nearby site. If you have the chance, walk in the historic area in the morning or evening. Without the crowds you'll feel transported back to the 18th century. Our family likes Sals by Victor on Richmond Rd. for informal Italian, Casa Maya on Bypass for Mexican, Paul's Deli near the College for subs,etc., Polo Club on Jamestown for burgers, etc.There are also some nice parks and playgrounds if you want some free time outdoors. Some other nearby sites are the Air and Space museum in Hampton, the Virginia Living museum in Newport News and Nauticus, a naval and science museum in Norfolk.