Reload this Page >

return from Las Vegas-comments on shows, kids etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 08:19 AM
jeri

Just returned from family trip out west. Family of four with kids 10 & 14 went to Lake Tahoe, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon & Las Vegas. Will only comment on Vegas here (so it's in the right state) but am glad to answer questions.

Stayed at the MGM Grand because we got a good deal there and it was fine. Had a nice pool with a lazy river that we all enjoyed one afternoon. Warning, pool and chairs are free, but they charge for tubes ($15 a day!). We refused to pay, but later got a couple for free as people pass them on since they don't want them for a whole day. Another warning - pools here - and elsewhere all seem to close early. Check before you go. The lion exhibit is fun, but not worth a special trip if you're not staying nearby. They also have a TV testing studio where you can watch and rate potential new TV shows that was amusing.

Saw several shows which we really enjoyed that ranged from free to $60 a head. The best one was one we had never heard of - Ronn Lucas, the man who can make anything talk. He is a comedian/ventriloquist and was great! It's an afternoon show at the Rio. We only went because we had gotten discount tickets ($7 including a drink), but boy were we glad we did. We were laughing hysterically during a lot of the show. I recommend getting there early, as it's first come, first seated. It was PG for those of you with kids, lots of innuendo (that went right over our 10 year old's head), but nothing explicit.

Lance Burton was as expected-big magic show with fancy costumes and effects. If you want to see it, definitely reserve before you go so you can sit near the front. We bought tickets once we arrived & were in the mezzanine - not nearly as cool. He uses lots of kids from the audience.

There was a free bird show at the Tropicana? (right next to MGM) that was also fun. It's currently at 10, 12 & 2. The play tic-tac-toe with a chicken at the same hotel was not worth the wait.

The kids really enjoyed the King Arthur style dinner show at the Excalibur ($40). We thought it was OK, though the special effects were nice. The hotel is beautiful though, worth going just to gawk at.

I really liked the Star Trek exhibit and ride at the Hilton. The "ride" is one of the most detailed and impressive I've seen. It's pricey, though, at $25 a person. Only for true trekkies like myself.

One thing we should have skipped is the free pirate battle at Treasure Island. It's just not worth the 30 min or more wait in the heat and crowd to see a 10 min show. Then another 20 min to get out & catch a cab.

The Forum Shops, on the other hand, are worth a visit even if you don't buy anything. It's beautiful and there's a short show every hour in the fountain by Atlantis. The kids also loved the FAO Shwartz store which is definitely something to see.

That's what comes to mind right now. Any questions - ask now, while it's fresh in my mind.

Yes, it was hot, hot, hot. You just had to stay inside or take cabs, not walk on the strip. On the other hand, we had no problems when walking as a family with people approaching us with seamy ads etc.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Dick

jeri,

The only time a particular state is effected is when you do a search for a particular topic on a particular place in a particular state.

All posts simply go on the US board. You could have given your complete trip report in sequence to the places you traveled. That said, you might have to do Vegas, post it, then reply to your post with your next stop. This way your trip reports are together.

Dick

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Laurie

Hello Jeri, we are leaving for Vegas in less than a week. I would like to know how to get discount tickets to see Ronn Lucas. Thanks! Laurie

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:41 AM
jeri

I think we got the initial voucher for the Ronn Lucas show at the Tropicana for signing up to play the chicken. However, when we went to the Rio for the show, they had a pile of vouchers at one of the information desks there. You then have to turn the voucher in at the box office. If you're going, try to get there early to catch one of the free carnival parades.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:49 PM
Laurie

Thanks for the info Jeri!