Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

ground floor or upper level room with a 1 1/2 y.o.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:30 PM
Stacie

Have people found a condo/hotel room on the ground floor or upper level easier with a little one? We'll be in Hawaii and I am thinking of requesting a ground floor so it's easier to go out onto the lawn. Of course, a balcony would limit where he could walk. . . .

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:41 PM
sss

What i did was have them show me the room and see how secure the balcony is. Make sure the chairs are not by the balcony edge so your baby can't climb up stuff like that. If it feels comfy go for the balcony so you have the door open to the outside.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:50 PM
xxx

Ground floors in hotels are the easiest to break into.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:57 PM
Emma

I prefer the ground floor beacuse of the stroller, so you don't have to wait for the elevator. Also, if a condo only has 2 floors, there may not be an elevator.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 03:43 PM
CF

what's that old saying? You can't fall off the floor"? I always tried for ground floor when our kids were little because they tend to run back and forth and it can be very annoying to the people below you to hear the kids going boom boom boom all over. Those places aren't soundproofed very well.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:16 PM
J Correa

CF - on behalf of all the other guests at those hotels, I would like to say thank-you.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:33 PM
cece

With children, you must get ground floor. Last time I was in Hawaii, a child fell out of a window to her death.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:17 PM
francie

I vote for ground floor. We took our little ones to Jamaica a couple of years ago and had a ground floor room around the corner from the hotel pool. Between bathroom trips and forgotten toys,books,etc. we made an awful lot of trips back to our room every day.Ground floor was so convenient!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:27 PM
mom

I remember when my son was 4 and he walked around the house with a kitchen towel tied around his neck, saying he was Superman and he could fly out the window.
Get a ground floor room.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:53 PM
Stacie

Thank you, everyone. Ground floor it is.