Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Upscale Family Resort in Poconos or Catskills or Elsewhere

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Lori

We are looking for a last minute vacation. I like a lot of activities, pool. All inclusive would be good. We are considering Skytop, Split Rock, Woodloch Pines in the Poconos or possibly some places in the Catskills such as the Nevele (has it been renovated yet?). My DH tends to be very picky about rooms and prefers upscale and we need something larger than a standard Holiday Inn type room as we are bringing 3 small children. Not sure if things are available and we would be open to other suggestions (other than Lake George)

I do not want to rent a house under any circumstances

Thanks for any suggestions

Liora

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Lori

I am also not interested in going to Mohonk because there is no pool and I heard the food is mediocre

Thanks

Liora

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Ben

Lori: Have you looked into Lake Placid? There's a ton of things to do: hike, swim, shop, sightsee Olympic venues, canoe, drive to top of Whiteface, High Falls, etc. No one will be bored. Upscale places to stay include the Mirror Lake Inn Resort, Hilton, Best Western Golden Arrow, and Holiday Inn/Lake Placid Resort. For info, see www.lakeplacid.com
Hope this helps.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 04:18 PM
elin

The Nevele has been totally renovated over the last few years. Ask for the rooms in the main building. Huge rooms can hold 4 adults easily. Large bathrooms with a tub and a huge separate shower stall. Even cable tv. Great outdoor and indoor pools. Horseback riding. Evening entertainment and babysitters can be arranged.

www.nevele.com check it out

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 07:26 PM
jbj

Probably can't be too picky with a last-minute plan this time of year. Best you can hope for is a last-minute cancellation.

Your kids will enjoy this place...though maybe not as "upscale" as your husband likes. But "upscale" in the Poconos?

www.ehrhardts.com

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:25 PM
Lori

Thanks for the suggestions I made reservations at the Nevele. It is close which is a big plus. After researching my first choice might have been Woodlock or the Rocking Horse Ranch but they were both sold out