Restaurants near Albany Airport

Apr 18th, 2005, 06:06 AM
emc
Original Poster

Restaurants near Albany Airport

Can anyone suggest a nice, casual restaurant/cafe/diner in the vicinity of Albany Airport or Latham? We will be flying into Albany and driving to Massachusetts along Route 2. As our flight arrives at about noon, I know we'll need to stop for lunch once we're on the road. Any places to recommend?
Apr 18th, 2005, 09:33 AM

The Desmond has a "coffee shop" and a first class restaurant, "Scrimshaw" and is about 1 mile from the airport. Callaway Grill is across the street. Follow directions for I-87 and watch for Desmond on R, Callaway on L.

Like a good sandwich and great Italian Pastries? Turn L at the Desmond onto Rt 155, follow it to Rt US-9 and on the NW corner of Rt9 & 155 you'll find Bella Napoli Bakery.

Diner? Turn R (north) onto Rt 9 and about 1/4 mi north of Bella Napoli is the "76 Diner". Continue N on Rt 9 to connect to Rt 2 at the "Latham traffic Circle" There's also a diner (Circle Diner??) at the traffic circle (NE side of it) and in the mall on the SE side of the circle, (Latham Circle Mall) is a brew pub, "Malt River Brewing Co"

Downtown Troy has a number of nice restaurants too. What's your destination?
Apr 18th, 2005, 12:08 PM
J62

The Wolf Rd. Diner is just around the corner from the airport, right near the entrance to I87 then right onto Wolf. Typical diner fare at a reasonable price.

There are a couple of other restaurants on Wolf Rd (esp further South) as it's the main commercial drag in the area. Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, Red Lobster, Outback etc.

To get to Rt 2, I suggest you follow first Rt 7 East from I87 to get through Troy, then cross over 278 about 5miles outside Troy. Rt 2 is a pokey local road all the way from Latham through Troy.

Once you pass Troy there's really nothing till you get to Williamstown MA.

Fodors seems to be having problems today, so Iím sorry if this gets posted in duplicate.
Apr 19th, 2005, 12:43 PM
emc
Original Poster

rb - thanks for your suggestions. Bella Napoli sounds tempting, especially the bakery goods, and we enjoy diners so it seems we will have some good choices. We are heading to Williamstown.

J62 - thanks for the tip about taking Rt. 7 to Rt. 2 (We will try that - less chance of getting lost in Troy) and for confirming our suspicions that it's a dining "no man's land" between Troy and Williamstown. We'll keep the Wolf Diner in mind.
Apr 19th, 2005, 12:56 PM
J62

If you can get to Bella Napoli, I recommend you just skip the cakes and get a pastry bag filled with butter cream frosting to inhale as you drive to Mass!
Apr 19th, 2005, 02:32 PM

j62: Isn't there quite a bit of construction going on along Rt 7/Brunswick Rd? (I don't know, but thought there was) Rt 2 *IS* a pokey road with a number of traffic lights, but but nothing you'd get lost on as there's no turns that I remember. I bicycled that route as part of LA-Boston tours sometime ago.

Cropseyville is you last chance to eat!
Apr 30th, 2005, 01:24 PM

I just have to post to tell you that the Bella Napoli (not too far from the airport-- Exit 5 off I-87 North on to Route 9) is the best Italian bakery and pastry shop I know, and I am including the trips to Rome! Just the most exquisite and scrumptious selection of Italian pastries. You can tell the difference; truly old world craft.

Search this Thread