Search

Driving from Logan Airport to Portsmouth, NH

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:55 AM
hpl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from Logan Airport to Portsmouth, NH

Any suggestions on route especially coming out of the airport? How about I-95 vs. US 1? Where can I find out the toll amounts (if any)? And finally, any places worth stopping to eat on the way?
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 09:14 AM

Take US-1 North for about 10 miles (maybe less) to 95N into Portsmouth. 95 doesn't have tolls in that area, I don't think, but I wouldn't swear to that.

The trip is only about 60 miles, so I'd probably just head to Portsmouth to eat, depending on what time you are landing at the airport. Traffic is very heavy around that area so I'd get out before or after rush hour.

Sorry I can offer better help on eating.
Karen
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 09:33 AM

There are tolls in hampton N.H. Only $1.. There are plenty of places on Route 1 north. Don't take route 1 the whole way.

As previous poster wrote,I would wait until in portsmouth to eat in the city,great downtown area with lots of character.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 09:37 AM

Rte. 1 North to I-95 North is the correct route, but first you have to get to Rte 1. The airport exits onto Rte. 1A, which is not the same thing. Follow Rte. 1A N out of the airport (bear right as you leave the airport) for a few miles and pick up Rte. 60 west at a large intersection - Rte 1A will continue to the right, for Rte. 60 you continue more-or-less straight ahead. You will see signs for Rte 1 N in a couple of miles.

Follow Rte 1 for a few miles to I-95 N. There will be one toll, in New Hampshire. It was $1 not too long ago.

There really isn't much for restaurants of interest on the way. Route 1 is crowded with all manner of places to eat, all pretty forgettable. I'd recommend holding off until you get to Portsmouth, where there are many interesting choices. My favorites are 42 Degrees North for somewhat upscale dining and the Muddy Rudder for BBQ, sandwiches, burgers, etc. A little bit out of town is Newick's - just about everyone's first choice for a typical (though now somewhat oversized) New England seafood joint.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 09:39 AM

Actually, you have to take 1A to get to Route 1. An alternate route is 1A NORTH to Route 60 to Route 1 to I-95, which is about 15 miles from Logan.

You'll pass any number of places to eat along the way; there are spots where all of the fast food chains are represented. But I agree that, unless you're ravenous, you should wait until you get to Portsmouth.