restaurant near Philadelphia airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and I will have a four-hour layover in Philadelphia on our way to Shannon. Is there a good place to get a Philly cheesesteak sandwich within walking distance of the airport?
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 08:09 AM

No, you cannot walk outside the airport onto streets or anything. It's off Route 95, a major highway. You'd have to take transportation somewhere. I don't know where.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks; I thought that might be the case. Any recommendations for inside the airport? I've never been there.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM

> Is there a good place to get a Philly cheesesteak sandwich

GOOD place at the airport? No -- but there are several mediocre places, one is as good as another. One nice thing about PHL is that, by law, any place that sells goods both at the airport and outside the airport must charge the same price for identical items at both locations.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM

There is always the choice of walking over to the Marriott which is connected via a bridge to PHL. You will be leaving security, of course.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 03:23 PM

For a taste of Philadelphia, there are several Chickie's and Pete's in the Airport. There's also a quite lovely wine bar with quite good food in the concourse between B/C.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 03:28 PM

I failed to mention, if you are risk takers (and time it right), you could squeeze in a train ride into Center City to grab a pork italian sandwich at DeNic's in the Reading Terminal. (Getting into the city by cab is quicker but would make for a very expensive lunch.)

For that matter, depending on what time your flights are, you could cab it to John's Roast Pork at Weccacoe & Snyder. Call first, though, to make sure they're open (ie, that they haven't run out of bread yet). Have the cab wait. It's right off of 95 in South Philadelphia, about a 10 minute drive from the airport. One of the absolute best sandwiches in Philadelphia.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 04:40 PM

I would suggest "Chickie and Pete's" try the crab fries. It's in the airport and famous around Philly.

Enjoy
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies. What is "Chickie's and Pete's"? A fast-food place? I don't think I'm enough of a risk-taker to try the Reading Terminal, but John's Roast Pork sounds intriguing! Good to know about the Marriot and the wine bar, too. I will definitely print out these notes—thanks again!
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Amy

Chickie and Pete's was, originally, a sports bar with memorable food. (Actually, it's Chickie's and Pete's, both possessive, but I've only ever heard it the one-s way.) There's a menu here for the airport location: http://www.chickiesandpetes.com/airport-menu/ The crab fries are their most famous dish. So no, not a fast food place, more along the lines of a TGI Fridays or Applebees.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 07:35 AM

You don't want to leave the airport as you will have to go through security and that is a pain at PHL. Look on the airport terminal website. there is an italian bistro in i belive 2 of the terminals...white table cloth etc....very nice for a sit down meal.