Restaurant in Peoria, Illinois?

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Restaurant in Peoria, Illinois?

Hello to all: Our family has to be in Peoria this weekend and would like to find a nice restaurant in which to celebrate my husband's birthday. We prefer ethnic or continental cuisine to American steakhouse type fare. Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks much.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 06:35 AM

only place i can think of besides chains is a steakhouse, but it's fun-alexander street steakhouse-you pick out your steaks and then cook them yourselves on huge grills in the restaurant. They have other foods available. It is a fun place.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 06:47 AM

You're not going to have much selection outside of steak. For good Italian, see if they have a Biaggi's (I know Bloomington has one about 30 mins. away.)
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 07:29 AM

I was there a few years ago and stayed in a Jumer hotel that had Jumer's restaurant. The food was fabulous German food with steaks, etc. There were four or five Jumer hotels in Illinois/Iowa but I know a few closed down so I'm not sure if the one in Peoria is still open. The food was wonderful though, so its worth checking into!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 07:30 AM

Actually, I just found the website so apparently it is still open. Here's the site if your interested:

http://www.jumers.com/peoindex.htm

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 07:36 AM

A word of warning about Jumers-rumor has it they've gone downhill alot since they've experienced financial difficulties-they've sold at least 2 properties (Champaign and Bloomington). I'd ask some locals about it first.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 07:38 AM

I was afraid of that. I know that they have had some financial difficulties since I've been there. If that's the case, it probably would be a good idea to check around first.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. Biaggi's was a good idea but apparently they don't have one (we're meeting from Charleston and Chicago so we need to stay in town). I see from on line lists that there are two Indian, a Vietnamese, some Lebanese, and a Thai restaurant. Any experience with any of these?
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 12:27 PM

I've not yet been to Johnny's Italian Steak House (I think that's the name) but everyone who has been RAVES about the place. It's located at the new Shoppes at Grande Prairie, an outdoor shopping complex. I, too, like Biaggi's, but I don't think Peoria has one yet. Another one to try is Chez 2. We have a Chez Willy's in my town (about 35 miles from PIA) and it's a WONDERFUL restaurant. The owners opened Chez 2 last fall. It's in an out-of-the-way location, but I'll bet it's really good. Again, I've not been to it (yet) as we have the original restaurant in our town.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

2 Chez looks great, exactly what I was looking for...I could even make reservations on line!! Many thanks to everyone.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:53 PM

Sorry I called it Chez 2 instead of its real name... 2Chez. In any case, I'm sure you'll be pleased.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 05:05 PM

I got a chance to go back to Peoria a couple of years ago. The Grill on Fulton was still there and has nice food, emphasis on steaks but has seafood, pasta and other options. I used to love their chicken dijon.

I ate at Carnegie's at the Hotel Pere Marquette too. It was very nice but I thought a bit pricey for Peoria.

I also ate at Lindsey's on Liberty. More of a continental type menu. It was very good. It would be fun to reserve a table in the old vault.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Peoria Hofbrau. It's an institution. I've eaten there as far back as 1991. Traditional German food. Zero ambiance, but the food is excellent.

If you do go the steak route, I always liked the Lariat Club. Talk about a classic 50's steakhouse.

I always try to get a sandwich at MaidRite, home of the loose meat sandwich. They still make some of the best fries.

By the way, I was refreshing my memory on www.peoriarestaurants.com