Restaurant in NYC advice

Old Dec 15th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurant in NYC advice

Hi,
I'll be staying at the Hotel Elysee three nights and would love some advice on restaurants. I've eaten at Tavern on the Green and Carmines but those are about it. Didn't particularly enjoy Tavern on the Green. We like Italian, American, Sushi, etc., but would love some recommendations for a couple that would be in New York (first time for my wife) for a few nights. Thanks, this forum has been helpful to me over the years.
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 11:35 AM

The thought might scare you but the best restaurant we went to was called the Red rooster inHaarlem, it wasn't in the bad part. We had heard that the owner had a cookbook out with rave reviews and it was fabulous. The ambience was wonderful, restaurant attached to a very lively bar. We took a cab from Time Square. Best meal we had in our five day trip!
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Great, I'll keep that one in mind!
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 12:51 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Red Rooster is owned by well known and highly regarded celebrity Chef Marcus Samuelsson. Another winner in Harlem is The Cecil, creative menu, delicious food.
Hotel Elysee is at 54th and Madison;do a google search for "restaurants near Hotel Elysee"
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 02:07 PM

Remi is an excellent Italian restaurant that's not too far from your hotel on 53rd Street between 6th and 7th Avenues.
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

That looks great, How would you compare that to Carmine's? That is my only reference point.
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 03:31 PM

It would help to have an idea o your budget.

Carmine's is basic red sauce Italian known for the size of the portions versus the quality of the food. It's not bad - but certainly nothing special. There are many better choices - if you can tell us what you want to spend.
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 06:03 PM

I would put Remi miles ahead of Carmine's. Better food, better ambiance and a far more relaxed experience!
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 07:19 PM

Jo Jo at 64th/Lexington.

Thin
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

I don't mind spending 150-200 for a meal since this is a unique occasion. I would hope that would be in the range of a nice restaurant. I don't want the Olive Garden. I am also open to other types of cuisine.
Thanks!
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

But I should also add that I don't want to leave the restaurant hungry either!
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 10:18 PM

Molyvos is great for upscale Greek.
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 11:26 PM

Babbo is an excellent Italian restaurant.Good place to eat meal for dinner!!!
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 03:30 AM

You might want to check out viceversa and trattoria del Arte on the west side in the 50s. On the east side look at La Gioconda and San Martin.

You might also want to look at Chowhound to see the Italian favorites there in midtown.

If looking in other areas we like Gennaro on the upper west side and Del Posto in Chelsea.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 03:33 AM

Benoit Bistro www.benoitny.com

an Alain Ducasse restaurant
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the feedback, these all look like great choices. What is one of the best steakhouses or seafood locations in NYC?
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 07:58 AM

For Greek food try Pylos or Taverna Kyclades. Very different places. Pylos is more sophisticated while Taverna provides delicious seafood in large portions.

For steak-Peter Lugar in Brooklyn or the Strip House in Manhattan.

For seafood-I'm in the minority where I do not understand the rapture concerning Le Bernardin. Less expensive and absolutely wonderful is Aquagrill.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 08:56 AM
DRJ

I'd consider Lincoln at Lincoln Center for upscale Italian.

Also, for ambiance and excellent food its the dining room at MoMA.

Or, to gild the lily, the Four Seasons in the Seagram Building!
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 11:11 AM

One of my favourite places is Maialino for Italian food: http://maialinonyc.com/

A great, albeit pricey, Italian seafood place is Marea: http://www.marea-nyc.com/

Another goodie is Osteria Mornin in Soho: http://www.osteriamorini.com/
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 11:19 AM

When are you coming to NYC? This is one of the busiest times of the entire year, and you're not very likely to get a reservation less than a week in advance at even a moderately good restaurant right now.

Maialino is a wonderful Roman-style Italian restaurant, but it requires reservations a month in advance in most cases (but they do have a cafe where you can walk in since it doesn't take reservations).

NYC has a lot of great steakhouses. Peter Luger is definitely a great one, but it's difficult for a few reasons. It's very far off the beaten path, so you need an expensive taxi to get there. And it doesn't take credit cards even though dinner will cost at least $200 for 2, and that's a limitation for some travelers who don't want to walk around with that much cash.

Wolfgang's serves steaks in a similar vein to Peter Luger, and it's got several locations in Manhattan. I also like Smith and Wollensky, and the Grill doesn't take reservations and is a little bit cheaper than the full restaurant but with a similar menu. Cheaper wine, too. Porterhouse is good, too. Realize that steak in NYC is served a la carte with NOTHING. So you have to buy salads, sides, etc. separately at a real NYC steakhouse. And everything is expensive. Of course, portions are so large you can share most things, including the steaks.

Marea is one of the best Italian seafood restaurants in NYC, so that hits two of your high points in one dining spot. Again, however, it's hard to get a reservation at the last minute.

I also consider Lincoln a really great upscale Italian restaurant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information