Restaurant help in NYC for 2 families with teenagers

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting NYC in a few weeks for our daughter to interview at several colleges there. Our 11 year old will also be with us.

While we are there, close family friends who live in Princeton, and who also have a teenager, will drive into the city to meet us for dinner. We need a great restaurant where the two families can spend some time catching up. We live in Asia and this will be our only time to see them this year, so we would like to make this "reunion" memorable. We will be staying at the Pierre. Prefer no Asian food, as we eat it all the time. Maybe a cozy steakhouse?
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:52 PM
mp

It's a big city. I assume you're staying in Manhattan - it's still a big island. Maybe if you narrow down the area and price range, it might help guide toward giving you good suggestions. I guess you want a comfortable, relatively quiet place that the younger people will feel comfortable in. Does it need to be close to your hotel or the college you're scouting?
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:28 PM

There are some really good steakhouses in the city, but my favorite are probably the 2 chain ones, Smith and Wollensky(on 3rd and 60 something) and the Palm..If you are adventurous and willing to go to Brookly, the best steak in the world is at Peter Lugers. There are more "hip" places for the teenagers, but not steakhouses. I love a beautiful place in the Village called "one if by land, two if by sea"..It has live piano music(a la Gershin/Rodgers and Hart era), great food and a beautiful restaurant. None of these placed are inexpensive though.
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:40 PM

I agree with Peter Luger, Best Steak in NYC, Tel:718-387-7400, peterluger.com
Just take a cab from the city to make it easier.

Trattoria Dell Arte 212-245-9800 on 7th Ave between 56th & 57th Streets. Great restaurant, steak, pasta, thin crust pizza, BEST antipasto bar in the city.
Very close to Pierre hote. ENJOY !
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:46 PM

PS... If you're in the mood for the BEST ITALIAN in NYC (for 20 yrs + running), IL MULINO is a must dining experience. It's amazing! My family's favorite. Hard to get in, maybe have your hotel concierge at Pierre make the reservation for you or shoot to dine as soon as the restaurant opens at 5 or 5:30 to have some chance of getting in. Also open for lunch. IL MULINO is absolutely to die for. 212-673-3783 on W. 3rd St between Sullivan & Thompson.
Old May 14th, 2004, 06:08 AM

mp - OP said they're staying at the Pierre.

Luger's in Brooklyn is a more unique experience, with the best steak you'll ever taste. (I actually think a lot of the other sides, etc. are overrated because of Luger's status or whatever, but the steak is amazing). FYI - Luger's is cash only. Also, if you decide to go to Luger's, I can tell you how to order if you want to look like a native - they'll ask if you need a menu, with the expectation that only tourists say yes.

Best steakhouse in Manhattan IMHO is Spark's on 46th street - below should be a citysearch link. Less unique than Spark's but a lot easier logistically and will have a better selection for non-steak eaters.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profil..._0_profile_2_1
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:13 AM

You've gotten a lot of good sugestions. One problem is many places that might appeal to the teens will be very loud-not good for talking. While I agree Peter Luger's in Brooklyn & Sparks in NYC are tops for steak, there's place called the Post House right near your hotel on 63rd between Madison & Park. I don't think it's quite as good as the others, but it may be quieter & I think nicer atmosphere (theposthouse.com) Another place is the Strip House (in the village near NYU-maybe good location?) Look at theglaziergroup.com

If your kids (or you) like ice cream/sweets, try Serendipity for an ice cream sundae or soda. It's not far from the hotel. Also, the 11 year old will like Dylan's Candy store (owned by Ralph Lauren's daughter) also near there.

Good luck!

PS. The River Cafe in Brooklyn has wonderful food & awesome views of the skyline. A good special occasion place.
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Wanted to mention that people don't generally use the words "cozy" & "steakhouse" together in NYC. Steakhouses tend to be largish, rustic feeling (sawdust on the floor in some cases), masculine/macho places. They also tend to attract larger sized parties (like yours) thta add to the noise. I think the Post House is one of the quieter ones. I also remembered Bobby Vans which has a location on Park & 49th has recently opened a second location on 54th between Park & Lexington. I haven't been there since they opened so I don't know about ambiance.

Keens Steakhouse doesn't get mentioned much, but it's a real old time (circa late 1800s) place with an interesting collection of pipes on the walls. It's on west 36th so would be convenient for yur friends if they're coming through the Lincoln tunnel.

If you hadn't asked for steak & wanted something near your hotel, I'd suggest Park Avenue Cafe. Excellent American food in nice surroundings with great service.
Old May 15th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks everyone for some great suggestions. Didn't realize that a steakhouse in NY probably is not going to provide the ambiance we'd like for a relaxed evening of conversation. So we will take a look at Park Ave Cafe, Il Mulino, and Trattoria Dell Arte.

My husband and I were actually planning to let the kids have room service and a movie one night when WE went to River Cafe. It's a place I've always wanted to try. But with a $70 fix price menu, I don't want to take a chance it's food the kids would not eat.