Search

reptiles in arizona

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reptiles in arizona

Someone mentioned on this board that noo Someone wrote that she didn't see any rattlesnakes in arizona. We plan to go in November and I'm deathly afraid of them. Is there a chance that we will see them in vegas, bryce or grand canyon?
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 08:13 PM

No, not if you keep your eyes closed. But you may feel them..
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 04:21 AM

They tend to ssssssssslither quite sssssssneakily with much ssssssssssssstealth.

But hey, I wouldn't worry. (LOL)
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:27 AM
E

Next to no chance at all. Rattlers know they can't kill a human, so they don't actually try; and they're very shy and stealthy, so they will work hard to stay out of your way. In 2 years of fairly extensive hiking in AZ, I heard one rattler, never saw one. You will be fine.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:50 AM

What nonsence...."snakes KNOW they can't kill humans"???

I've hiked in Arizona and seen two, both outside Tucson in Sabino canyon. Typically they'll move off if they hear you coming since they have no desire to confront humans.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:28 AM

Um, E, rattlers CAN kill a human, that's why the OP is worried!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:31 AM

My Tucson relatives say May and October are the "best" times to see rattlesnakes as that is when they are going to/from their eating areas. Before I knew that, I was in Arizona in early May. I did not see any at Bryce (did just one hike into the canyons), Grand Canyon (did not hike down but went on plenty of hikes at the top) or Vegas (we were on the Strip!). The only one (not a rattler) I saw was slithering across a boardwalk at Montezuma's Castle.

I too am petrified of ANY snakes and was advised to make noise as we hiked. I ended up worrying more about it BEFORE we left than I did while I was there. The scenery is soooo spectacular. Have a great time!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:40 AM

Snakes don't hear noises; other hikers hear noises.
Snakes "feel" vibrations.

You know, after the Tick post last week, I feel as though we ought to rename this site "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" instead of "Fodors."
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:47 AM

Jack, quite correct, they don't hear in the sence we think of hearing.
1441, my mom is also terrified of snakes but spent many years in Arizona and loved to go for walks. She felt safest walking along wide paths and staying away from narrow rocky trails.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 09:59 AM
E

Perhaps I should have been clearer: rattlers know they can't EAT a human. Therefore, they will bite one (and waste a precious load of venom) only when threatened. Furthermore, not all bites contain venom; some are dry. And lastly, one rattlesnake bite can kill a child, or an adult with a weak immune system, but will hardly ever kill a healthy adult. Hurt like hell, yes; but long hospital stays are usually the result of an allergic reaction to antivenin (most people are allergic to antivenin), not to venom. I know many folks who would not get a rattler bite treated at all, but rather tough it out. So everybody chill, please.