Help: Trip to Grand Canyon/Sedona by late September

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Igi
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: Trip to Grand Canyon/Sedona by late September

Hi folks,

I'm planning a trip to the GC and Sedona by late September-early October. 4 adults/3 kids (grown), we're used to hiking, etc. I'm thinking 2 nights at the GC and 1 night at Sedona. We'll be driving west through I-40.

I've never been to the GC, so I'm mostly going by what people recommend, and this forum. Could you please recommend the main things to do, and where to stay? Other posts in this forum speak highly about the lodges inside the park.

Thanks so much.

I.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 06:37 PM

Driving west on I-40, Sedona is a detour south from your route, and I'm not sure that you'd want to take that detour for just one night's stay. Not because it is not wonderful, but because it IS wonderful and you'll just wish you could stay a lot longer. There are other interesting things to do around Flagstaff, so you might just stay there one night and take most of a day to see the Sunset Crater/Wupatki loop. Lots of hiking in and around Flagstaff. If you like Native American art, the Northern Arizona Museum is great.
You seem to already have seen other threads on the Grand Canyon, and I think everything has pretty much been said.

Vera
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 06:54 PM

Definitely stau inside the park and next to the canyon if you can still get a booking.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 08:30 PM

DO take the "detour" south to Sedona. Sedona is about half hour south of Flagstaff; take road through Oak Creek Canyon into Sedona. At the top of Oak Creek Canyon is a parking area for the West Fork Trail. It is an easy hike through and around the creek bed with Red Rock Canyons all around....great. Check it out.
Attempt to stay in the Canyon itself. You can hike down Bright Angel trail or the Kaibab trail for as long as you like to get a sense of hiking in the canyon. (I'm assuming you're not inclined to hike all the way down.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Igi
Original Poster

Thanks a lot giro. I can probably stay another day at Sedona, any more sugestions on what else to do? Other people seem to have enjoyed jeep trips, how affordable is that with a family?

I.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Fairhope

Some coupons for jeep rides
http://www.sedonacoupons.com/

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:29 PM
emd

Trailride Adventures has nice guided horseback riding out by Red Rock State park. And of course, you can walk/hike/picnic as long and far as you want on the spectactular trails. You won't get bored w/2 days unless you are totally physically inactive.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 01:37 PM

If your time allows, you should consider going to the north rim. It is higher elevation and more heavily forested, not to mention much less crowded. The drive also takes you past the Vermillion Cliffs, which are pretty impressive. In any case, here is a web site for lodging info.

http://www.grand.canyon.national-park.com/lodge.htm

I have stayed at the Kaibab Lodge, which is outside the park. Availability there might be better than at the Grand Canyon Lodge, which is right on the north rim.

Coming into Flagstaff on I-40, you might want to stop in Wnslow to see the statue inspired by the Eagles' song "Take it Easy".

http://www.standinonthecorner.com/

Besides Meteor Crater, you should also visit Walnut Canyon, just east of Flagstaff on I-40, to walk among indian cliff dwellings.

http://www.nps.gov/waca/

Whatever your plans are (and they definitely should include Sedona), enjoy your trip