Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Should we skip Grand Canyon or go straight to Sedona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding on to my orginal post, since we will only have one day in GC, should we skip it and just go to Sedona and the areas around it. Maybe just drive up from Sedona just to see it. Thanks again.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Froggy - just to try to help, it will be easier for people to answer if you ask additional questions by posting a reply to your original post - that way all of the answers will be on one thread.

Sorry I can't help. My Arizona trip is not until September. I am flying into Phoenix, driving to Sedona for 2 days during the Jazz Festival, hiking in Oak Creek Canyon on the way to Flagstaff, then spending 2 nights in GC before returning to Phoenix.

Karen
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Never been to Grand Canyon, but from what I've seen of other posts and info on TV, I think you would do yourself a dis-service if you didn't see it, even if it's just for one day.

Especially if you're a camera buff, I'll bet the scenery would be phenominal!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:06 AM

The Grand Canyon is definitely a must see. No matter what.

Just talked to a friend from NM yesterday. She got a great rate on a 2 bedroom suite at the Residence Inn in Flagtaff and her family used that as a base to see the GC and Sedona. I've stayed at both places, but thought her idea was an economical one to travel the area.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:06 AM

the Grand Canyon is absolutely spectacular!
I went to see it when I was in Vegas a few months ago, I didnt want to go, but I went b/c my husband wanted to see it really badly... needless to say, I loved it, I was very impressed!!!

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Kaudrey: Sorry I am not always on top of things and i will try to remember to add any other information I need on my orginal post.

Chigal: Thanks for the information. Really appreciate all the help I'm getting.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:27 AM

Do not skip the Grand Canyon. It is the epitome of a 'must see'! Sedona is awesome (be sure to take a Pink Jeep Tour) but there is still only ONE grand canyon.

Park rangers have said, and i've also read that the average time spent at the GC is 45 minutes. While certainly not recommended, i supposed it IS possible to stop at a few look out points, and then leave. At the very least, do that. But do NOT skip it!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:31 AM
emd

I know others on here seem to like Jerome, but we could not see the reason why when we took a day to go there last April. It is an old mining town hanging on to the side of a steep hill that was overmined. There are some shops, but nothing that beats the shopping in Sedona. We found it somewhat depressing, and the abandoned mines to visit were tacky tourist traps w/admission. At the end of the day, we wished we had not gone and would have rather spent another day in Oak Creek Canyon/Sedona, and we've spent many trips and alot of time in the Sedona/Oak Creek area.
BTW- gracieb, your freind's reasoning is very good re staying in Flag to exploire both Oak Creek Canyon/Sedona and GC, for another reason besides economics. Flag is significantly higher elevation and MUCH cooler than Seodna in summer. I have needed sweatshirts at night in Flag in June and July, which is a great relief after being down in Sedona in the heat.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:33 AM

I would agree with the above poster's observations of Jerome. We found it less than appealing. Wasn't worth the extra time, in my opinion. Sedona is great, but I agree with the others: don't skip the Grand Canyon.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:36 AM

No way!!!! Spend at least one full day at the South Rim. You will never regret it.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Froggy,

I have not "talked" to you since our return from Arizona, but you defintely do not want to miss the Grand Canyon. In the words of my 22 year-old: "When you see Sedona, you say "wow"; when you see the GC, you say WOW!!!" Sedona is beautiful, but there are no words to describe the Grand Canyon. Take the time to walk down into it, even if only a little ways. The walk is not that hard. We walked down a little over a mile; it took us 1 hour to go down and only 50 minutes to come back up. It was an experience none of my family will every forget. When I first looked into the Canyon, I burst into tears; it is just so awesome. There are no pictures that do it justice.

Like one of the posters above, be sure to take the Pink Jeep Tour--the Broken Arrow is tops!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:49 PM

chicgirl - thanks! I saw the link.

Froggy - I was just thinking it would be easier to find your responses that way. No harm, no foul!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:37 PM

Skip the Grand Canyon,Are you nuts?
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:39 PM
LN

If I had to choose between the Grand Canyon and Sedona - the Grand Canyon would win "hands down". Yes, when you see Sedona you will say "Wow" and when you view the Grand Canyon you will probably be "speechless" - I know I was - it's spectacular!!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Hey we are not missing the Grand Canyon-no way no how. Our plans got kind of changed since I have to have this pleasant oral surgery done the first week in August. So after Sedona we are driving up to the GC and spend the day there before we head home. Thank you all for your posts.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Just found out that there is room availablity in the Grand Canyon on the day we are up there. It's either the Maswik or Yavapai. I have been trying to decide which would be better to stay at but I know nothing about either. Has anyone have a favorite? Or know anything about either of them?