Reload this Page >

Renting a jeep in Hawaii

Search

Renting a jeep in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 09:16 PM
goodlife

Renting a jeep in Hawaii

Has anyone rented a Jeep on the islands? Can anyone give a recommendation on a rental company that rents Jeeps? I've tried going through the web pages of several rental companies but most don't specify jeep as an option. Who has the best rates? We will be on Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island....Thanks for your help!

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 05:35 AM
Tracey

I'm going in September, and rented a Jeep from Alamo on Maui. I'm not sure about the other islands.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 11:16 AM
x

Goodlife,

You can rent Jeeps from Alamo. However I highly recommend staying away from Alamo and Hertz. Hertz has terrible customer service and both rental agencies have lots of loopoles in their rental contract that make you liable for a great deal, even if you buy their insurance.

Also, the Jeep convertible top is cumbersome to take down and put up. Most people get a convertible with a power top. It rains almost daily in Maui and this will allow to enjoy the convertible without haveing to struggle with the Jeep top every time it rains. I can't think of any place where a Jeep might be benefitial because all the roads are paved. The one exception to this is the back part of the "Road to Hana". And even if you decide to get a jeep for this particular stretch of road, both the Alamo and Hertz rental contract state that you accept ALL liability when you travel on that stretch of road.

Hope this helps. Have fun on your trip!

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 11:18 AM
J T Kirk

I'm curious -- why does one need a jeep in Hawaii? What's wrong with a plain ole car?

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 03:25 PM
Hilary

I REALLY recommend a jeep on Maui. Can't speak for the other islands. There are stretches of that road that, at least two years ago, made me really glad I had one. Maybe things have changed?

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 06:55 PM
MIke

I have been to the islands twice. MAui and Kauai both times. Rented jeeps both times and will do so again in October.

I do a lot of driving all year. The jeep is a nice diversion. Handles great on the small island roads and most important of all, I think the visibility is far better.

When I first got there they put me a in a Ford Probe. Sorry, I am 6 ft tall and still had a hard time seeing the front bumper.

Jeep all the way. Lot of fun. My wife also likes it very much.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 04:18 PM
gina

One more suggestion for Jeeps...

When we tried to reserve in advance, Jeeps were $300 a week in Maui. That was tough to swallow, so we booked a full size car for $159.

However, when we arrived, we walked up to the Budget counter and asked if Jeeps were available - and got a walk-up rate at $200 a week. Then I walked up to National and cancelled my existing reservation.

We enjoyed the rest of the week in our bright orange Wrangler!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Bonnie

I don't know of a place to rent 'em, but I do know you'll need either a cap or sun-block shampoo....I rented a jeep in Maui & it rained during our drive to Hana...was lovely driving in the rain, until I couldn't put a brush through my hair due to sunburn & peeling!!! Just an FYI

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 06:01 PM
David

Unless you think you need a jeep to be cool, I'd suggest any front wheel drive vehicle. You really will not need 4 wheel and if you do it's probably to an area excluded by your rental car co.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 07:10 PM
freewoman

We rent a jeep on every island we visit because they are fun and easier to clean up when you get them full of sand.

Can't help with rental company on the islands you mentioned, but if you ever make it to Kauai, we rented a Jeep Wrangler from Hawaiian Riders in Poipu last December and they were wonderful people to work with.

Have to disagree with x above on two counts. We rented a Lincoln Towncar in Maui from Hertz and had no problems whatsoever and it only cost $325 for the week. And when we were in Maui in July for a week it did not rain one day while we were there.

Have fun. The Hawaiian Islands are a wonderful experience.