Reload this Page >

Rental cars and Infant seats

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 10:34 PM
mom

Do the major rental car companies have infant carriers available - and at what extra cost? Would appreciate hearing of anyone's recent experience....Thanks!!!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 05:03 AM
Anne

Avis offers infant carriers and car seats--$5/day, $15 charge if returned to a different location than where rented, $50 if lost or damaged. Just go to avis.com, click "The Fleet," and click "Special Equipment."

Also, Hertz offers rentals, in two or three different sizes, for all ages/weights. Visit hertz.com, and follow the links to "Programs and Services."

Good luck, and have a safe trip!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 05:38 AM
ilisa

Personally, I would never use a car seat offered by a rental company. You can't guarantee the cleanliness or the condition of the seat. Even the most minute hairline fractures in the frame can compromise the safety of the seat. In addition, your child will probably feel most comfortable in the seat that is most familiar. Wherever you are going or however you get there, I would bring your own seat from home.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Ginny

I agree with Ilisa, plus if a car seat has been recalled for safety reasons what are the chances the rental agencies will comply?

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 06:43 AM
yuk

I rented a car seat with a car and it was horribly dirty and stained. You'll feel better if you take your own. Also, make sure it fits in the car properly. The one the rental company gave us wobbled in the back seat.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 07:14 AM
L

Suggest you follow their advice ... it's the key reason loaner child seat programs in the states have not fared all that well. May I suggest you access nhtsa.dot.gov and update a bit on child passenger safety? You may also be flying, and that entails an entirely different set of seat problems. Remember too: into the center of the back seat away from all frontal and side airbags. Ciao

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 07:43 AM
Suzie

When Our children were small we took their car seat, that had also been FAA apporved, on the plane and they flew restrained in their car seat. It was then available to use in the rental car. I know the airlines "allow" you to sit with a lap child but this practice is not a safe way for a child to fly. I've seen the loaner seats and they are not quality car seats at all.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 07:58 AM
s

Have rented car seats from various car rental agencies - when you have 3 small children all in carseats it's difficult to take them ALL on an airplane.

Generally our experience has been good, the carseats appeared clean, aside from what you CAN'T see! You can wipe down some parts with antibacterials and line the seat cover with a blanket, towel or cloth if you like.

If you have no choice but to rent one it will indeed most likely cost $5/day. If you really want an infant CARRIER as opposed to a combo rear/front facing infant/toddler carseat, you'd need to ask specifically if it's an infant carseat with a handle for carrying. But, if that's what you want, I'd agree with the others that you'd be better off with your own. That kind of carseat is more often recalled, so you wouldn't know if the rental brand was recalled in the past.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 08:15 AM
martha python

Friends reserved a car and carseat only to arrive and find that there was no carseat available. If you think hauling a carseat is a hassle, try keeping a toddler entertained in an airport while Daddy drives around a strange town in search of a place that sells them.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 11:08 PM
Tess

We rented one and it was gross, unsafe and my son hated it. I'll never make that mistake again. It is worth the hassel to carry it on or gate check it, trust me.

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have the quality of rental car infant seats improved since 2001? My wife and I will be in Boston for a wedding, and rented an infant seat with Hertz. We'd prefer not to bring our own Graco seat for the 8.5 month old, who's almost too big for his infant car seat.

It will only be used for short trips, and going from and to the airport. We will be walking around most of the weekend. I can bring our infant car seat (and base) from home, but it seems like a huge hassle for only a short weekend. Any experiences out there?
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:08 AM

I don't understand how you can even travel without it, I mean, if you are driving to the airport you have it with you...and if you know you will be in a car at your destination you just bring it along. You can check it, or gate check it...I know it's one more thing to drag along inside the airport but for the safety and security of your most precious possession I think it's worth it. If your son is almost too big for the infant carrier (mine were too big at 6 mo old, LOL!) I suggest getting a regular car seat for them pronto regardless of your trip and start using that and bring that along instead. We have always traveled with our own safety seats (infant carrier, car seat or booster) and have never regretted it. I can't imagine the scenarios of dirty, unsafe, or unavailable car seats. What a trip ruiner!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:13 AM

BTW, you don't NEED the base, you can just use the seat belt with the seat. The base is great when you are using it with YOUR car, but if you are going to be tranfering in an out of different cars the belt will work just fine if you familiarize yourself with how it works.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:37 AM

We were just in AL and rented a booster seat from Hertz for our grand daughter.

On the website, it gave you the option of selecting a car seat or a booster seat. We needed a booster seat. We thought we were going to get a backless booster seat (for a 6 year old).

Instead we received a full size car seat. Fortunately it was large enough that she fit into it comfortably. It was clean (from what we could see) and we wiped it down with anti-bacterial wipes really well.

The cost was $9.00 per day.

I think if I were traveling with my child and I had a car seat/booster seat anyway, I would take it instead of renting one.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:38 AM

I also wanted to point out, that when the vehicle price is quoted, it is NOT with the seat included. We found out about the additional charge when we picked the car up. Not that it mattered, we needed the seat, but it would have been nice if they had quoted the price inclusive of the $9.00 per day charge.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I only just realized that we could use the Graco infant seat without the base. Based on the feedback here, we've decided to bring the infant seat and attach it to the rental car without the base.

I think the fact that the LATCH system is mandatory for vehicles produced after 2002 will greatly facilitate the use of our existing seat. We'll also bring a lightweight 9-lb. Maclaren stroller for walks during the day in Boston.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 05:00 PM

gilber20 - Are you also aware that if there is an empty seat next to you on the plane, you'll be able to use the carseat there and have a seat for your baby? If there is no empty seat, the gate agent will gate-check the seat for you before you board the plane.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Hi gilber, good luck with your trip. Glad you figured out what you want to do. The last poster is right, if you bring it with you, you might be able to use it on your flight. Ask when you check in at the gate if they can place you in a row with an empty seat (assuming there are any left) and then you will be able to bring it on and use it when not holding the baby. If not, they will gate check it for you. I took a trip when my son was 4mo and on the way, had the free seat, on the way back, no such luck. Both ways worked out fine, but it's nice if baby crashes out to have a place to secure them. Good luck with your travels!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:19 PM

we had a bad experience with a rental car seat last fall. evidently hertz had given away the car seat we had reserved, and the one they found for us was totally outdated and uncomfortable for the baby. probably unsafe, too.