Rental car out of Logan Int'l, Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! A few years ago my husband and I flew into Boston and rented a car that we took to Cape Cod. We had to take a shuttle from the airport to the rental agency, which was about a half hour ride north of the airport, in a less than desirable neighborhood. The service at this particular rental place was terrible.....it seemed to take us forever to get to the place.....then it took forever to get our assigned car, and then we had to turn around and drive south to Cape Cod. Long story short, we're going back to CC this summer (again through Boston) and we need to rent a car......how can we be sure that we get a car ON SIGHT..rather than taking the shuttle to an off-site location? Or maybe there are no on-sight rental car agencies at Logan?? Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks in advance for your help, Colette
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 11:46 PM

We had a similar experience in Denver.It's usually when you have to arrange your car in the airport and then have to take their shuttle to a far away parking lot.Before you can inspect the rental assigned to you the shuttle is gone and you're left with a different car than you expected.We did not have this problem at Logan airport but we were coming by cab from the town and the cars were near their office .Paul
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 01:58 AM

There are no car rental agencies actually walking distance on-site at Logan - and there are not at many, many airports. However, the time and distance you traveled is not typical - sounds like either Enterprise on Route 1A or some no-name ultra budget car rental company, since at Logan, like at most airports, you leave terminal, take a very short shuttle ride to cars and get a car.

I always have to take a shuttle to the car at airports. Go with one of the recognizable name brand car rental companies at Logan (other than Enterprise, which I know has a more distant location) and you will be fine. You will be on shuttle about 5 minutes, not a half hour.

That said, traffic to Cape Cod from any part of Boston, including Logan, can be horrific at specific times, especially in the summer. You hit regular rush hour M-Th from about 4-6:30 PM. On Fridays, it starts and ends a couple of hours more on either side, say 2-8 PM. Saturdays driving to Cape Cod is always busy, since most cottage rentals are Sat-Sat - if it must be a Friday evening or Saturday, try to wait until late evening or leave really, really early Sat AM (like 5 AM). So if you can plan your flights with this in mind, you will be less frustrated.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:46 AM

Avis, Budget, Hertz, National, and others have rental lots on the airport property, but unlike Tampa and some other wonderful places, you do have to take a short shuttle ride to their lots. You do not fill out paperwork for any Boston rentals in the actual terminal.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses.....Gail..I actually think that Enterprise was maybe what we had booked.......and Ackislander, I will definitely go with Avis, Hertz, Budget or Nat'l this time. As I started thinking about this, I know I've usually had to take some kind of shuttle to the car rental agency......but never as bad as the experience we had in Boston. Thx also for the traffic report.....I remember the traffic was bad the last time we were btwn Boston and CC.....so at least this time, thanks to your reminder, we'll be mentally ready for the challenge this time! (and we won't be doing Enterprise out of Boston this time, so that should save us a couple of hours!)
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 04:37 AM

I believe things have changed a lot with renovations of terminals and car rental places in Boston since you have been there. I always take Thrifty which is a short van trip from the airport off site. When we arrived there 2 weeks ago yesterday they had all new shuttle vans. Their rental area has been redone in the past couple of years. I always get great rates and since I am a Blue Chip AT NO COST TO ME my rental is waiting and ready to go. No paperwork to fill out just sign and go. I'll be heading back there in a couple hours from now.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

bnbtraveler.....thanks for the good news. think I'll hit the Thrifty website now and become a bluechip member!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:28 PM

Hi Colette.

Last year for our trip to the Cape I rented from Budget, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. There was a shuttle just outside the terminal and in a few minutes we were dropped off at the Budget car rental.

I preregistered with their "Fastbreak" program which turned out to be really great. On the shuttle, I just told the driver and he was able to tell me what # slot my car was in. The keys were in the car & I just loaded the luggage and drove through their security gate & on to the Cape.

I was able to get a fantastic rate through our insurance company (USAA), but I often get offers through some of my credit cards & even Southwest airlines.

Heads up about dropping the car back off. As you are driving back to the airport, once you get through the tunnel, make sure you are on the right-hand side to exit to the car drop offs. I wound up missing the exit and had to take an "exciting" 20 minute trip loop back around.

Hope you guys have a great trip!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Same thing happened to us one year when we rented from Enterprise. we knew it was a shuttle ride away, but not in that bad area. Never again. Last year rented from Avis. It's on airport grounds. We had excellent service.
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Budget info, Beth1096.....and thx also for the driving tip......those unexpected "sidetrips" are always so much"fun". MBNancy...I was going to write a letter to the company after that BostonEnterprise rental experience....but of course, I never did. But thanks for sharing....'cus misery loves company!!
Old May 3rd, 2008, 03:37 AM

We recently rented a car at Hertz at Logan in Boston and had much the same experience as those who rent using Budget. We registered as Hertz #1 Gold and after a very short shuttle ride to our car we were on our way to the Cape! If you ask at the desk they will give you directions back to the airport rental return.
Old May 4th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you yellowbyrd!
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:35 AM

We have the best luck with Budget and Hertz. (Budget seems to give us better rates). They both have frequent buses (very close to the Airtran terminal)and it is a straight shot out of the rental lot to the tunnel to Cape Cod.