Boston Logan airport car pickup

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be arriving at Boston Logan 11 pm. so are staying overnight, there, I think. The Hertz rental for 3 weeks is very high for a regular size car, which we'd like. I've heard that it's much cheaper to rent out of Cambridge, as the taxes are a lot lower. Can't figure out yet how to get there on Boston's public transportation. Or maybe a taxi wouldn't be sky high. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM

To get to Cambridge on public transit, take the Silver Line bus, which stops at the terminals. It goes to South Station, which is on the subway's Red Line, which has several stops in Cambridge. There's no need to stay at the airport, just hop in a taxi.
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:00 AM

If you decide to rent in Cambridge, it is a good idea to stay overnight at the airport with such a late arrival. You are unlikely to find the car rental in Cambridge open at that hour, especially if you are late.

In the morning, one person can follow the advice of Anonymous and take public transportation to Cambridge, rent the car, and return for the other person and baggage.

Or you can both take a taxi the next morning.

Logan airport is a great location for using Priceline. Both the Hyatt and the Hilton are **** and regularly show up. Though the prepaid price at Embassy Suites is substantially higher, the cost for two people room and breakfast is about the same because the restaurants at the "H&H" hotels are not inexpensive. All have vans that will pick you up at your terminal, though I would call the hotel to make sure they are circulating at the time of your late arrival.
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:05 AM

This may not be one of the best ideas I have heard from Anon, who generally has good advice about Boston.

Your flight arrives at 11 PM. It will be late. You need to get your luggage, use bathroom, etc. MBTA stops running between midnight and 1 AM, depending on route and day of week.

You are not going to find in-city (Boston or Cambridge) car rental location open at that hour anyway.

What is your itinerary? Three weeks? I am assuming not all of it in Boston. Are you heading out of Boston immediately/never? You may not need a rental car for the entire time if you are spending part of it in Boston.

Check rental rates at city locations - you may or may not save much money.
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:07 AM
J62

Look at other co's besides Hertz. They are often far higher than companies such as Dollar.

I like to use www.orbitz.com to compare rental car prices, then book directly through the company website.

I'm looking at orbitz right now and I see a standard size car from Dollar for $154/wk, and the same car for $342/week.

It seems to me the problem is Hertz, not Boston Logan.
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:09 AM
HKP

Have you tried hotwire for the rental itself?
Old May 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM

When checking rates, are you by any chance using a "special corporate number" or something like that. My husband's employer has some special code number for both Hertz and Avis - allows for speedy car pick up, but it also automatically adds every optional insurance under the sun - his employer wants this added to each car rental and the "special number" is set that way.

If you are, try checking rates as a regular person and they might be lower.